Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reality Check.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If by "follow" you mean grossly ignorant, reactionary and full of FUD, then sure.
Hasn't been my experience at all. Focusing on the minority of vocal naysayers is tantamount to the same pigeonholing you're engaged in. I've noticed that more than a few BMW owners are looking at the Model 3 as a practical commuting car or a second car to use as a beater. Tesla is entering a hugely competitive space though, so should be a lot fodder for complaints, legitimate or otherwise - they can't deliver everything to everyone after all.

In a car I am constantly changing fan speed and temp.

Me too. Unlike my stationary house, my car is constantly moving from full sun to shade (by clouds or tall urban buildings). Also, depending on direction, the sun could be at my (driver's) shoulder, or on the passenger's. My requirements for more cooling increases in the former instance, and decreases in the latter. Heck, my cooling need even increases if I'm drinking coffee on my morning commute.

I have not used a car with auto climate control that I like.

Ditto. I really hate auto climate control.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
I'm glad.

Here take a look at this 2017 Mercedes C-Class ($40,000)
View attachment 236915

They also tack on a display, but don't commit to it. Instead the litter the entire cockpit area with hundreds of buttons... And this is a car with a starting price $5,000 higher.

Ugh, all those buttons! And it looks like it has something similar to that confounded iDrive infotainment wheel thingy in BMW's.

Reactions: Spenny818 and DR61
Thanks. I'll have to look into the ecobee the remote room thermostats might help. I have been switching over to mini-split ac systems so each room has its own system that has allowed the main house ac to be set much higher and only the rooms we use are cooled plus the mini-split are much more efficient. I have a few rooms left to switch over to mini-split but am getting close to being able to leave the main ac off.

This is getting OT, but FYI, the EcoBee might not be able to control a mini-split directly if it doesn't have standard thermostat wiring. However, you might be able to get the best of both worlds by putting an EcoBee on the main house HVAC, using EcoBee sensors for all the rooms, and using a Flair Puck(s) (shipping any time now) to control the minisplits (assuming they're IR control, as they seem to be typically). Flair Puck will integrate with EcoBee and can both cooperatively leverage the HVAC as well as mini-splits, and use the EcoBee sensors assigned to the relevant mini-split smartly (something EcoBee can't do itself as it lacks IR for mini-split control). You may need more than one Puck depending on how much bounce you can get out of it's IR (since your splits are in different rooms), and it might end up cheaper to just buy a bunch of Pucks rather than some Pucks + EcoBee + EcoBee sensors (the pucks are themselves sensors). Nominally the Puck is meant to be used for the Flair smart vents, but it can be used standalone to control mini-splits, etc.

Me too. Unlike my stationary house, my car is constantly moving from full sun to shade (by clouds or tall urban buildings). Also, depending on direction, the sun could be at my (driver's) shoulder, or on the passenger's. My requirements for more cooling increases in the former instance, and decreases in the latter. Heck, my cooling need even increases if I'm drinking coffee on my morning commute.

Ditto. I really hate auto climate control.
In my Volt the Solar Sensor does help with the sun positioning causing more heat in the cabin during summer time. It also helps to precondition the vehicle as well. Really the only issue I have with the Volts climate system is the hatch area never seems to cool down as we end up having to blast the AC to keep the dog cool during trips to OBX.

It's just personal taste but the minimalist look of the Model 3 interior is appealing to me. The MB C class looks like an old submarine control center. Sure each button has a purpose but I feel the days of discrete buttons and knobs are over.

In 3-5 years all car manufactures are going to switch to touch interfaces. Same thing happened in phones. It's just a matter of time.

I think this is an excellent comparison. Before the iPhone every phone on the market had a plethora of buttons but when the iPhone hit with its full size touchscreen the market shifted and I believe that's what we are looking at here. I think 5 years and these ICE manufacturers will have no choice but to wake up or lose out to Tesla but they will already be years behind.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Is it just me, or do the BMW and Audi navigation displays look like they're just tacked on? You better be careful if you have kids in one of those cars, they could grab the display and snap it off.

Yea, that was my first concern when I also saw a display being mounted in an M3. Although it did feel fairly solid when I wiggled it and the mounting is solid, the edges are too vulnerable to being hit with an object or a kid grabbing it. Hopefully, it will work out ok, yet I have my doubts (speaking from an engineering perspective). These types of mounting in the BMW, M3, etc don't have a lot of field experience yet, so time will tell if it is vulnerable or not.