TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Rear Drive Unit Failed?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by DrLegoHair, Feb 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Both times I’ve had to use Tesla’s roadside assistance they’d been exemplar. When you tell them what works, and if something doesn’t, they’ve exceeded expectations.

• Like x 1
  2. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

As a note. My car was on 2018.4.6, the same version that @MarkS22 was told fixes the firmware 12v charging issue.

• Informative x 5
  3. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I'll go to the BMW i3 forum for those stories.

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

It's almost time to start a poll! JK. I hope this isn't as common as it appears that it might be, and I hope Tesla can troubleshoot this quickly. These issues actually worry me more as a stock holder than as a prospective buyer!

• Like x 2
  5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Thanks for the tip...

• Informative x 1
  6. Adam3

Adam3 Member

Who cares? This is the only forum I've seen where an "emotional" thread title leads to mods changing the wording. So strange.

• Like x 5
  7. Jays200

Jays200 Member

I care.

This is the only forum where careless, emotive and hasty threads and content are picked up by outside sources and used to adversely effect Tesla.

I'm not blind to Teslas growing pains but I'm not going to help feed anti-Tesla sentiment.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 2
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I doubt this is the only forum and brand where this happens. I'm reasonably certain numerous other forums for other auto brands and makes have seen similar activity.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Really? Name one other car company with even a tenth of the negative press. When a Tesla catches fire, it’s a headline even though there are 19 car fires per day in the US on average. When a Tesla crashes it’s a headline, etc., etc.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  10. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#50 cwerdna, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Not necessarily now but in the past.

Toyota was in TV news almost every day (not in a good way) during the SUA ("Sudden Unintended" Acceleration) PR disaster esp. including the times in which Akio Toyota was testifying in front of Congress, dealers were staying open extra hours (e.g. Toyota dealers extend hours to fix faulty pedals). etc. I remember that time and vaguely recall separate lines at Toyota service depts for recall vs. non-recall work.

My other car is a Toyota which I've had since Jan 06. Since it was made in Japan, it does not use the faulty CTS accelerator pedals that could become stuck. But, as a precaution, dealers trimmed the bottom of the pedal to help prevent entrapment by floor mats. A dealer did that for me w/o asking when I'd brought it in for maintenance. They told me after the fact.

The Toyota Recall Crisis - A chronology of the Toyota pedal, floormat recall - Motor Trend isn't a complete timeline but look at the dates. Toyota dealers extend hours to fix faulty pedals is from Feb 3, 2010. Toyota president testifies before Congress - CNN.com is from Feb 24, 2010.

Notice the orange bars in the graph at It's All Your Fault: The DOT Renders Its Verdict on Toyota's Unintended-Acceleration Scare – Feature – Car and Driver, once the recall was out there.

GM has had waves of periods of negative PR that have come and gone numerous times relating to their ignition switches that could slip out of the run position (usually caused by the key being on a key chain + a ton of other items and keys) and thus cut power to the engine, power steering, power brakes and supposedly the air bags.

It's tended to come and go due what info has surfaced when, settlements, whether current GM is responsible via "old GM" (Shell of Old G.M. Surfaces in Court Fight Over Ignition Flaw), etc.
    I do agree on this. It's ridiculous. Actually, given the stats at NFPA statistics - Highway vehicle fires by year, it's more like 476/day.

GM also had a bunch of negative PR related to Chevy Volt Catches Fire After Crash Test, Investigation Under Way - The Truth About Cars.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. RayK

RayK Active Member

You missed Audi for unintended acceleration and Ford for their Pinto. Talk about car fires....

• Like x 1
  12. dm33

dm33 Member

This!
    This is what scares me the most. Passengers in the rear seats have no emergency release. No way to get out at all other than climb through the car out the front doors using their emergency release or fold down the rear seat and climb out the trunk.

For those saying the 12v system can never die, these stories tell otherwise and will trap passengers seated in the rear. Tesla needs to add an emergency release for the rear seats as well.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

14. dm33

dm33 Member

Tesla gets an enormous amount of positive press as well. Any move from Tesla is scrutinized.
    In general I think trying to hide problems will make it worse. The truth will set you free. Tesla isn't a small time brand any more. They're trying to go mainstream. These issues need to be known and resolved quickly. Quietly covering it up will result in worse publicity when it does get out.

That said, all EVs tend to be targets of anti-environmentalists or those protecting Detroit. My wife and kids were yelled at by some old guy at a McDonalds while they were charging our LEAF with some line about the government paying for our car and other irrational rants. The GM Volt has had more than its share of attacks, so much so that their forum is super protective and in the past didn't allow anyone to say anything negative about that car. Hides problems and issues, not healthy.

• Like x 2
  15. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

You mean like every 4 or 5 seat 2 door coupe ever built?

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. Kanting

Kanting Member

Of course you need to tape the thing on the trim and wires soldered!

Total Luxury Care:
    upload_2018-2-18_22-16-30.png

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. dm33

dm33 Member

Besides everything else, you normally enter the back seat of a two door car by folding the front seats. You don’t normally or easily climb into the back seat of the model 3 through the front seat.

• Like x 2
  18. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

Keep us posted. Hope you get your car back quickly.

• Like x 1
  19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Actually, it was a BEV. I knew what I was getting into when I leased a BMW but good grief, that thing was in the shop constantly. It was Chrysler level bad.

• Informative x 3
  20. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

Received a phone call from Tesla Service today. They were very considerate and apologized for the inconvenience.

According to the logs on the car: The DC inverter failed and prevented the HV pack from charging the 12V battery. They are currently working on the car to verify this is the issue and will update me later today. They asked for patience as this is the first Model 3 they have done significant work on.

• Informative x 13
    • Helpful x 1