TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Rear Drive Unit Failed?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by DrLegoHair, Feb 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stuart21

Stuart21 Member

Should have a low voltage alarm -

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Reminds me of this thread, seems like they have some defective inverters they are recalling:
    Part recall for Model 3

3. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Eclectic - are you the same troll in Twitter with handle "Tesla is WHOMPY" ?

Untitled.png

• Informative x 11
    • Like x 2
  4. Electroman

How do you know? It is these kind of subtle characterizations which will attract trolls like fleas to sugar.

5. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Interesting -- the same post, verbatim. "Tesla is Whompy" is keef.

6. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

#66 Eclectic, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Someone is infringing upon my copyright. Oh, wait, I disclaim copyright rights in anything I post here...

But no, that's not me. Someone with good enough taste to steal my words, though.

I don't use Twitter but if someone cares enough to respond to that account, after I wrote my original post I found out that two of my neighbors have Model 3s and I asked them about their experiences. Neither had any catastrophic failures, just pretty minor interface/phone stuff. So Mr. Whompy should also include the post I'm writing right now in his or her next copy/paste.

Do I get an award for seeing two Model 3s within 10 minutes this morning while not being within 10 miles of Fremont or Palo Alto?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

Copycat trolls are fun.

• Like x 2
  8. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Good pickup, rest my case.

• Like x 1
  9. Electroman

from the timestamps it would seem the TMC post (3:37pm) came after the Twitter post (1:54 pm) but it is hard to say which came first because of the timezones.

10. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

#70 DrLegoHair, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Just received an update from Tesla Service:

The drive unit DID in fact fail which they say caused the DC converter to malfunction. The new drive unit arrived today and they will be replacing that and then testing the DC converter to see if it charges the 12V battery.

Again as always, very polite wonderful service. I am enjoying the Model S loaner so the wait is not too painful (although I do prefer the 3!)

• Informative x 4
  11. gekcut

gekcut Member

You were lucky you were located near a service center. Think about poor Starman when his battery prematurally died.

"Starman and his electric-car-turned-spacecraft were equipped with cameras that live-streamed the car’s journey as it floated through space. Unfortunately, the Roadster’s transmission didn’t last quite as long as expected. The batteries were expected to broadcast for at least 12 hours, but they ended up dying after only 4 hours of transmission. Sadly, that left space enthusiasts in the dark, wondering how Starman was doing as he piloted his convertible through the cosmos."

• Funny x 1
  12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I think there's a ranger on Mars who can meet him when he crosses Mars orbit.

• Funny x 1
  13. RayK

RayK Active Member

I believe that the only Rangers out in space went towards the moon, not Mars :) .

• Like x 1
  14. luckyruby

luckyruby Member

What's your VIN? I picked mine up in Tampa on Feb 12th with VIN 60xx. At 302 miles driven, the car became inoperable after a software update and shortly lost 12V power afterwards. I pick up my car tomorrow from the service center and they said it was due to a fault in the rear drive unit. I'm curious if we were part of the same batch of cars. Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

• Informative x 2
  15. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

Vin is 50xx. I was told that shortly after my drive unit failed, a service bulletin went out to replace the drive units on a whole range of Vins. I tried to get more details but unsurprisingly they would not give me any more info.

• Informative x 1
  16. drifttek

drifttek Member

Woke up to this, in the morning. Tesla towed to a service center.

So they are replacing the rear drive unit. ETA 3 days. They gave me an Infiniti qx70 loaner

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

There was a thread here about a possible firmware bug causing a failure. Something about shifting between drive/reverse while the car was still moving. Seams to me I recall the symptoms were similar?

18. Mgyo

Mgyo New Member

Hi, I had a similar experience. The first time, model 3 was about a month old and tesla replaced the 12v and said I should be fine. When I got the same error msg 2 weeks later, I called roadside assistance who said I just needed to drive the car more (I drive it everyday) and 12v would recharge itself. I decided to drive it to the service center. After I got there it died and they couldn't get it started. They need to replace the rear drive shaft. Curious how your issue was remedied and if you've experienced any other issues? I too am excited to get my car back, but also anxious, hoping that 4 visits to the service center in 2 months is all I'll have to make for the year.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Rear drive shaft or drive unit?

20. vmoscaliuc

vmoscaliuc New Member

I had exactly the same issues a few days ago. Model 3 2019, about 1000 miles. The messages I got:
    The car cannot charge
    Unable to drive
    Pull over safely
    The car is shutting down

Car is now in service. Waiting for a resolution. Got a loaner.