Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reservation Prediction thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the cartoon - but I think you missed the smiley in the post you quoted.

No, I merely forgot to add one of my own ;)

The questions were genuine - of my office of 60+ people in the automotive industry I don't know of anyone that is planning to reserve an M3, and even know that many car enthusiasts don't even know it's coming!

No, I merely forgot to add one of my own ;)

The questions were genuine - of my office of 60+ people in the automotive industry I don't know of anyone that is planning to reserve an M3, and even know that many car enthusiasts don't even know it's coming!

Not even you considering a Model 3 ;)?!

Getting back to the statistics - I guess the main differentiator between your office and duke_of_ev´s office is that his is in the US (possibly even California) and yours in Germany!

Not even you considering a Model 3 ;)?!

Getting back to the statistics - I guess the main differentiator between your office and duke_of_ev´s office is that his is in the US (possibly even California) and yours in Germany!

You're probably right, that likely is the main difference. Of course there is ONE person in my office who will be wildly refreshing the website on April 1 :)

The way it looks I´ll be on vacation in France trying to convince them to get a German registration on Mar 31. Wonder if this is a good idea...

Congrats on 1000th post!
Have you called Tesla to find out if this is possible? That said, the stores don't seem terribly clued up about the mechanics of M3 launch and reservations at the moment.

Congrats on 1000th post!
Have you called Tesla to find out if this is possible? That said, the stores don't seem terribly clued up about the mechanics of M3 launch and reservations at the moment.

I guess I´ll call later when it becomes more likely to get an answer. On the other hand, the question might be independent of the Model 3 launch really. If they can take reservations for any EU country for the S, it should be the same for the 3 I guess.

Always grateful when someone gives me the opportunity to post this:

extrapolating.png

What do you do for work? What demographic do those co-workers belong to?

Software developer in California. So I'm part of the most Tesla-obsessed demographic group.

One way to think about it - if there is 50% dropout (which I think is dramatically too high), and Tesla builds 100k Model 3's in the first full year (2018) of production, then the first year's production is already spoken for. Right now, today, about 24 hours from when the first reservation was taken.

If they then climb to 200k production in 2019, and 400k in 2020, all while producing 100k Model S/X alongside of Model 3, then they meet Tesla's guidance of 500k cars in 2020 (that has mostly been panned as ridiculously over the top).

Meanwhile on the demand side, it looks like if they can ONLY build 100k, 200k, then 400k Model 3, then the first THREE years worth of production will all be spoken for before the first car is delivered.

Or maybe Tesla needs to find a manufacturing plant and start ramping plant #2, and GF #2, approximately today :)

Another way to think about it. If 35% of cars delivered in the US are 35k and above, and Model 3 (and later derivatives) achieve the same 25% market share that Model S has in it's large luxury sedan segment, then 1/3 of 1/4th sounds to me like 1/12th market share in the US for the Model 3 (and derivatives) when they are 4 or 5 years into delivery. That's more like 1.5M/year demand (1/12th of about 17M vehicles/year), and consistent with 100k/200k/400k/800k/1600k annual deliveries (just for the US). Can Tesla grow annual manufacturing of Model 3 at 100% per year? I suddenly believe the demand supports it.

Oh - and Model S is STILL growing market share in the US. We still don't know what the actual market demand is for Tesla vehicles, at least in the US, because we've never seen the vehicle plateau or drop on an annual basis. Short term fluctuations looks like they have as much to do with incentives expiring, and prioritizing shipments to other markets - not demand limitations.

(Important disclaimer - I think we'll see Model S demand plateau and drop before Model 3 delivers, as most all of the Model S buyers that have never stretched so high for a car, will instead "settle" for a loaded Model 3, and be happy. I believe that Model 3 will prove to be the primary competitor for Model S, and a significant source of substitution for Model S buyers. Meanwhile, Model 3 will be doing what Model S has been doing, and bringing a noticeable number of shoppers from the 10-25k range up into the 35k range.)

I've been suggesting 1M reservations by the time the first Model 3 is delivered. Now I'm thinking I've been grossly low.

I'll be amused if we see the Model 3 competitor market in the US shrink (or grow more slowly than otherwise expected), this year and next, as future buyers in the segment instead decide today to wait. Tesla can start taking market share, in a market they've only shown a concept for :)

1M is a lofty goal, even still (but wouldn't that be sweet!). I thought 500k before first one is delivered. I'd meet you in the middle at 750k lol.

I agree that 1M is a lofty goal in an absolute sense. It's just that 3 or 4 days worth of reservations have gotten us 30% of the way there. At 10k reservations/day, for most of 2 years, that'd be just about right to reach 1M around the time of first delivery.

Except that we have a phase 2 of the reveal coming .. well sometime. From Elon's tweets, it sounds like they've got a plan to turn the time between now and first delivery into rolling thunder (my interpretation), with plenty of opportunities to keep the car in the media, and then bring it back as it starts to fade into the background. I expect each one of those events to bring along a surge in reservations.

Heck - 500k reservations before 1st delivery would have to be viewed as wild success.