Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reversing lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a quick look online and saw a couple of videos where it looks like x2 reverse lights come on
I must have seen similar as I thought (incorrectly) I'd seen that on the road and that this is what happened after the foglights stopped being a thing on SR+. Only I find it's the front foglights that went away (or may still be there, disabled in software like my footwell lights that turn on to tease me when I unlock the car)

upload_2020-6-17_2-0-38.jpeg
There is a slightly different lighting configuration between North American and Rest of World model 3s. Reverse lights, fog lights and I think blinkers differ. This will explain the online videos showing two reverse lights. Will see if I can find the reference.

Found it. Here you go. SAE being North America and ECE being Europe and ROW. There are some regional sub variations as well. The single reverse light example below swaps sides depending if it is ECE left OR right hand drive.

Last edited:
Nice pics of the config @m4rtin
I was just reading up on the origin of the single white reverse light and why ours is on the left. European rules say a single Fog light must be on the drivers side. Therefore our white the reverse light ends up in the spare slot on the passenger side.

Reactions: m4rtin
Agree I already have had 2 randoms tell me one of my reverse lights are out, I'd prefer them over having a fog light but not much we can do about it :)

I am also not a big fan of the foglight situation. Australia is nowhere near as foggy as europe and most people here drive around with their front foglights on 24/7, assuming they are used to illuminate the side of the road and look for roos........

Agree I already have had 2 randoms tell me one of my reverse lights are out, I'd prefer them over having a fog light but not much we can do about it :)
Don't spend THAT much time going backwards do we?:)). The rear fog is brilliant in torrential daytime rain on the highway, and in heavy fog. Many seconds advanced warning over the regular taillights. Off it goes the moment visibility returns to near normal.