Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 roof glass crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is the crack on the roof glass.
No impact from outside

I asked the Tesla service at Parramatta.

They gave me the estimate $3520.

They can do the inspection. But they never done this problem under warranty.

I really do not understand Tesla's policy.

O'Brien glass , they do not Tesla roof glass.

Do you have this same problem ?

What is the best solution for this problem ?

Attachments

• PXL_20240422_033210494.jpg
    PXL_20240422_033210494.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, definitely glass cover in insurance is a must as @mborkow pointed out, I made sure I had that in my insurance prior to purchase, check to see what cover you have.

Your other option is to have the glass checked by an expert see if they can see what caused the crack, obviously not going to help you if you know it was caused by an external source, but if it is a design flaw they may be able to write a report to allow you to claim it under warranty.

You didn't get it tinted did you?

Reactions: Miggy
Yeah, definitely glass cover in insurance is a must as @mborkow pointed out, I made sure I had that in my insurance prior to purchase, check to see what cover you have.

Your other option is to have the glass checked by an expert see if they can see what caused the crack, obviously not going to help you if you know it was caused by an external source, but if it is a design flaw they may be able to write a report to allow you to claim it under warranty.

You didn't get it tinted did you?
The roof glass was not tinted.
As the Tesla technician will inspect the roof glass. Can I ask for the Tesla technician to write the report for my warranty repair?

The roof glass was not tinted.
As the Tesla technician will inspect the roof glass. Can I ask for the Tesla technician to write the report for my warranty repair?
Yes, best for them to look first, but if you are not happy with their answer and you are sure there was no external cause, then you could get a third party opinion.

Of course if your insurance covers it, then it's probably not worth going to the extra hassle.

I see you have one of the aftermarket sliding screens for the roof. I am wondering if screen has played a part in it cracking, somehow? 🤷‍♂️
I am truly only speculating on what I can see in the photo and throwing questions out there - I am also in no way not saying sliding screen caused the crack!

I see you have one of the aftermarket sliding screens for the roof. I am wondering if screen has played a part in it cracking, somehow? 🤷‍♂️
I am truly only speculating on what I can see in the photo and throwing questions out there - I am also in no way not saying sliding screen caused the crack!
I can’t see a ‘sliding screen’
do you mean one of the shade screens that fit below the glass roof on the inside?
they’re fixed, not sliding
I have those and I can’t see how they could crack the glass

There’s almost always a chip, you may not know what it looks like.

Feel gently along the crack for a divot. It will be tiny, not like a pock mark or a circular spot. Use reflecting light. Especially check the edges of the glass if the crack extends there.

Any owner that doesn’t have glass coverage on a tesla is taking a huge risk, but it’s too late for that.

Last edited:
Do glass coverage (which I assume means the no excess windscreen option) actually cover glass roof? The two insurance policies I have had on my tesla (budget direct/auspost) both don't cover the roof. Below is the policy wording from auspost(QBE) and non-retractable panoramic roof is specifically excluded

1000000869.png

Reactions: bcarp
Cracks in any glass should be covered by comprehensive, unless your policy is written specifically for glass. Comprehensive usually covers incidental damage from non-driving incidents. Tree damage, keyings, etc.

So, try that approach. Read your whole policy. Your rep may not offer any help to cover you hoping you don’t notice.

Cracks in any glass should be covered by comprehensive, unless your policy is written specifically for glass. Comprehensive usually covers incidental damage from non-driving incidents. Tree damage, keyings, etc.

So, try that approach. Read your whole policy. Your rep may not offer any help to cover you hoping you don’t notice.
Correct, but you would then be subject to excess and/or losing on your no claim bonus

Do glass coverage (which I assume means the no excess windscreen option) actually cover glass roof?
My understanding from when I was researching is that the glass roof is covered as part of the car in general. It isn’t covered like the windscreen is, as a special no excess item & it isn’t considered a sunroof/moonroof because it isn’t openable.

Rear glass on my Fremont-made 3 was replaced for free by Tesla because that was a known problem - no impact, it cracked along the bottom in the black area.
Windscreen replaced by Tesla for free because they cracked it while investigating a safety restraint system fault during the warranty period.
Top glass was replaced by Tesla and paid for by my insurance because I had chosen extra glass cover specifically. There was no sign of any impact at all, but whatever…

Yeah definitely want glass coverage on these things. :-/

Reactions: CyberShy