Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was browsing the Yakima site and noticed that they now show StreamLine System compatible with Model 3. Asked support, they confirmed:

We have released the BaseLine fit for the Model 3. it will work on both the naked roof and the glass roof.
The fit uses a four pack of BaseLine towers and 2 sets of Base Clip 173 with a choice between any of our 3 crossbar types

I was browsing the Yakima site and noticed that they now show StreamLine System compatible with Model 3. Asked support, they confirmed:

We have released the BaseLine fit for the Model 3. it will work on both the naked roof and the glass roof.
The fit uses a four pack of BaseLine towers and 2 sets of Base Clip 173 with a choice between any of our 3 crossbar types

Thanks!!!

Nice work! It seems that you've broken the news.... first I've heard of fitment for the Model 3, certainly.

Only bummer for me is that I'm simply not willing to use clips into the door frame. Nope... still looking for something that bolts up properly., and that does not sit on the paint and force the door seals to conform. I like the new aero bars. And the towers seem to be an improvement. But if I'm going to pop for over $500 for racks, I'm looking for something that doesn't need alignment every time I use it, something that doesn't sit on the paint, and something that doesn't clamp to the door openings.

Both the Baseline towers (item 8000146) and the baseclip 173 (item 8006173) seem to be old products, why didn't they offer these for Model 3 before? Or did they? The towers hug the sides, will the doors/windows still close?
Right. It has apparently been determined that these will work "well enough" on the Model 3. And while I'm happy that they have a solution, offering "clips that work" is not what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Blue in NC
2 Tesla sales people have said that racks will only connect in to the Model 3 on the solid roof version (not glass roof). I see the photo above, but anybody hear anything different lately direct from a Tesla person? At the very least, bundling the glass roof with the premium package is a product management "miss" due to this rack issue.
Agree. Not interested in the glass roof, but do want fog lights and premium interior as well as roof racks.
Actually, I’d prefer a station wagon with racks, but that seems a distant pipe dream.

Why are people so against Seasucker or similar vacuum cup systems? I've had a Seasucker bike rack for years, and I love it.
Do you hook it on and leave it for months without touching it? That’s what I’m looking for and used to in other racks. Also, there have been instances of broken glass due to them. Finally, I put many thousands of $’s (if bikes, maybe $30k) in gear on the rack, I need to trust it like it was holding my child on it, or I could destroy gear/car at best, and kill someone else on the road at worst.

Do you hook it on and leave it for months without touching it? That’s what I’m looking for and used to in other racks. Also, there have been instances of broken glass due to them. Finally, I put many thousands of $’s (if bikes, maybe $30k) in gear on the rack, I need to trust it like it was holding my child on it, or I could destroy gear/car at best, and kill someone else on the road at worst.

It does not stay on for months, so if you're looking for permanent, then that doesn't fit. But it seems several people in this thread wild be ok with not permanent. The rack goes on and off in seconds, which is fine for me even if I'm using it multiple times a week. Worth it to keep the car clean the rest of the time

Where have you seen broken glass due to a Seasucker? Source for that? I've never seen it. I've used it on glass and paint before, and actually like it better on glass, since there's no paint to scratch. Never had any problems with either on functionality.

$30k in bikes on 1 rack? That's cool I guess. The biggest rack Seasucker makes holds 3 bikes, so if you routinely travel with 3 $10k bikes and aren't comfortable, then you do you. I've never put $30k on mine. I have driven 600 miles on freeway with $10k on mine, and had zero problems.

It's not for everyone, fine, nothing ever is. But it works for a lot of people, and I think many more would find it works for them if they give it a shot.

Reactions: Blue in NC
Where have you seen broken glass due to a Seasucker? Source for that? I've never seen it. I've used it on glass and paint before, and actually like it better on glass, since there's no paint to scratch. Never had any problems with either on functionality.
One example... Shawn Smith on Tesla Model 3 FB page from just a week ago. That said, I know people who have had failures of suction, however that was on metal roofs and rough roads. I think a lot more people would trust them if we haven’t all had something suction cupped to our windshield just fail off due to a temperature change. Obviously, cheap version of the concept, but hurts their marketability greatly.

As for bikes, yes, high end mountain bikes are expensive these days. Myself and most friends have $8-11k into each one. That said, hitch mounted tray racks are the best way to transport them with a car.

This may not be to everyone's liking but here's a couple shots of my Santa Cruz Tallboy riding safely inside the car with the rear seats folded. Plenty of room to spare. I do this all the time. It takes literally seconds to remove the front wheel and slide the bike into the trunk.

If a second bike must also be carried, a hitch rack can be added. The 1UP rack previously suggested in this thread is an excellent choice.

The car my Model 3 replaced was a Porsche 911 (997). I had a roof rack for it and I'd use it on occasion to carry my mountain bike. I was always extremely worried that I'd forget the bikes were up there and drive it somewhere with limited vertical clearance. Then one day it finally happened... I got lucky. It could have been a lot worse. The only thing I had to fix on the car was the windshield (after the bike fell forward). I will NEVER again use a roof rack to carry a bike.

8676A541-45B7-4D0D-995D-D89CF20B301C.JPG
52336A59-2B8C-4283-9FA4-6DF5D0062737.JPG

This may not be to everyone's liking but here's a couple shots of my Santa Cruz Tallboy riding safely inside the car with the rear seats folded. Plenty of room to spare. I do this all the time. It takes literally seconds to remove the front wheel and slide the bike into the trunk.

If a second bike must also be carried, a hitch rack can be added. The 1UP rack previously suggested in this thread is an excellent choice.

The car my Model 3 replaced was a Porsche 911 (997). I had a roof rack for it and I'd use it on occasion to carry my mountain bike. I was always extremely worried that I'd forget the bikes were up there and drive it somewhere with limited vertical clearance. Then one day it finally happened... I got lucky. It could have been a lot worse. The only thing I had to fix on the car was the windshield (after the bike fell forward). I will NEVER again use a roof rack to carry a bike.

View attachment 352014 View attachment 352015
I put my Ibis is the trunk like this and I've already scuffed my bumper once (luckily I run clipless instead of flats!). It is super quick though. I need to get around to installing a tow hitch...
I agree with you about roof racks. Eventually I would forget I had a bike up there. Also the range penalty for having a bike on the roof must be enormous.

Reactions: andy92782
The car my Model 3 replaced was a Porsche 911 (997).
I had a roof rack for it and I'd use it on occasion to carry my mountain bike.
I was always extremely worried that I'd forget the bikes were up there and drive it somewhere with limited vertical clearance.
Then one day it finally happened... I got lucky. It could have been a lot worse.

The only thing I had to fix on the car was the windshield (after the bike fell forward).
I will NEVER again use a roof rack to carry a bike.
About 10 years ago, I hit at night the trunk of a tree who was very inclined above a parking spot (See pictures).
The base of bicycle front fork was attached to the roof rack and failed on the car roof making a big dent into the roof.
Lucky it was not a glass roof!

Tree above Parking Spot  (Front View) .jpg

Tree above Parking Spot  (Side View) .jpg

Tree above Parking Spot  (Bike Rack Detail) .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre78
About 10 years ago, I hit at night the trunk of a tree who was very inclined above a parking spot (See pictures).
The base of bicycle front fork was attached to the roof rack and failed on the car roof making a big dent into the roof.
Lucky it was not a glass roof!

Yep... It happens to the best of us and the consequences can be catastrophically expensive in terms of damage to bike and car. In my case, I even went so far as to drag a trash can into the middle of the garage, ensuring there was no way I'd accidentally re-enter with the bike on the roof. Unfortunately that didn't stop me from striking the underside of a concrete archway at the entrance to a local restaurant... sigh.

I don't even want to think about the aftermath of a Model 3 shattered glass roof.

Reactions: Dre78
used sea suckers .. worked perfect 80mph on hwy

The thing that worries me about this setup is that the roof cargo floor is not parallel to the car floor. Wind at 80mph would put great upward force on roof cargo, risking glass seal separation/flyaway. Probably more risk with lighter cargo like snowboards or empty roof cargo. You might want to move your mounting positions to achieve a flat cargo angle of attack.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Several folks are having aftermarket units installed (with blind nuts through the sheet metal on the sides of the glass). I've seen several now. Anybody can do that or have it done. I still don't see a factory option.

I just ordered a 3 a few days ago and went on Yakima's website to see what they suggested for the car (if anything). I had seen a previous thread from the summer where someone got a reply from Yakima that they were assisting Tesla for a spring 2019 product, so imagine my surprise when they fitted my car with the towers mentioned a bit upthread with the clips. I emailed them asking if this was the only kit for the Model 3, or if there was going to be one released for the attachment points on the car... they got back to me confirming that the fit suggested is indeed correct (as another poster on this thread noted). They were silent on my other question though, so I've emailed them back to get further info... hopefully. I'll post back if I see anything.

BUT - like you @EVnut , I'm not happy with the idea of these "clamp" style racks. You mention you have had Landing Pads added in the past? Aside from being on the car all the time, any other drawbacks? What do they use to seal the penetrations typically?

I 100% need a rack, so am going to be less than happy if I can't get a good solution here. Sold a Subaru Forester so need the roof box to get comparable cargo room.

(Will also be getting a receiver hitch for 4 bikes on the rear using a NorthShore Rack, same thing I did on my Leaf.)

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
I 100% need a rack, so am going to be less than happy if I can't get a good solution here.
Sold a Subaru Forester so need the roof box to get comparable cargo room.

(Will also be getting a receiver hitch for 4 bikes on the rear using a NorthShore Rack, same thing I did on my Leaf.)
Looking closely to the Model 3 roof, I would apprehend putting anything in contact with the glass roof.

I can't wait for the future Model Y which will be more versatile than the Model 3.

In your particular case, since you already plan getting a receiver hitch, I saw recently a Model X with a single wheel trailer
used for carrying a washing machine. The single wheel was rotating by itself, so there was no interference when backing up.

Doing some Internet searches for 'single wheel trailer' I found some examples for such trailers:
sans1_md.jpg

1_wheel_4.jpg

SWECO3.JPG

cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KootsChewt