Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(...)
At this point I am a little bit septical about how a brace could be used for finding a good ancrage
without touching and damaging the chrome molding?
(see the pictures above)
(...)

Thank you NeverFollow for all your research. Definitely waiting for an actual full install and review before ordering the car.

It also interesting that it is on the Yakima website considering the earlier response that Yakima was working with Tesla and that the roof rack would only be sold in Tesla stores. Maybe Tesla is still working on mounting points option directly on the roof (similar to model s) for the model 3 in the future? Maybe a updated roof design? Maybe be linked to European deliveries starting next quarter as it seems it is a more important factor for them vs North American. Of course, this is just speculation. Thanks!

We XC ski 3-4 nights a week and for that I need to carry 4 people and sets of skis. For alpine (W, SA,Su) is can be up to 8 pairs of skis so sometimes I’ll still need to take my Land cruiser ( getting 12-14 mpg hurts more now). For carrying skis I was considering the yakama ski to bike rack attachment

However I use a North Shore Rack for the bikes so I would have to buy and store another hitch bike rack that would only be used for skis... now I think I’ll go with the yakama baseline with (2) freshtrack-4 attachments.
Hi Cole, what did you decide on for your solution? I'm also looking for the best solution for bike and ski hauling. I have a hitch on the Model 3 now. 2" receiver.

Is there a good dedicated ski/snowboard hitch-mounted hauler?

Tesla is now selling a roof rack for the model 3 on their website. It's $450 and already sold out.
Wow! Thanks for the alert! Where is the info about how the heck they attach??? I need to study where they're sitting in the picture, and see if I can figure out if anything is hiding there in my car...

Model 3 Roof Rack

1128114-00-C_0.jpg

FOUND THE MOUNTS!

After determining just where those pictured mounts were sitting on the car's roof, I looked under the rubber cover of the roof seam for maybe the 100th time. And now that I had confidence that they'd be there... there they were. Little metal clips with an area to capture a hook that's about an inch wide. Am I the first one to find these? Do I win!? Many of us have been looking for a while now, and I've never heard from anybody who's actually seen them.

Note (edited, because I was approximately 100% wrong about the tick marks initially): The mounts in the seam are centered on the little ticks on the top glass... that's where I looked before. And didn't see anything. But this time I knew they had to be there. Looked deeper (toward the roof glass) and sure enough. Centered on those ticks. Obvious when you're sure that they have to be there.

I'll be damned. I swore there was nothing there.... and there they are.

I'm pretty damn happy about that.

Now... how do I get them to take my money??

Last edited:
FOUND THE MOUNTS!

After determining just where those pictured mounts were sitting on the car's roof, I looked under the rubber cover of the roof seam for maybe the 100th time. And now that I had confidence that they'd be there... there they were. Little metal clips with an area to capture a hook that's about an inch wide. Am I the first one to find these? Do I win!? Many of us have been looking for a while now, and I've never heard from anybody who's actually seen them.

Dear Darell,
You do not win. You lose.
You lose because it's been over a year since we knew about the "roof rack hooks" under the rubber.

VT_EE wins
@VT_EE wins because he ended this thread with his glorious and timely reveal post. All hail @VT_EE

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
Dear Darell,
You do not win. You lose.
You lose because it's been over a year since we knew about the "roof rack hooks" under the rubber.

VT_EE wins
@VT_EE wins because he ended this thread with his glorious and timely reveal post. All hail @VT_EE

So what I'm hearing is that I'm this year's winner. Thanks, man.

I'm fine being called a loser... because with the racks, it looks like we're all winners!

Seriously... this is pretty dang awesome to see that those mounts do indeed exist on the production car, and that Tesla has indeed created a proper rack for them. I'm curious... how and when did VT_EE notice that The racks were in the Tesla Shop? My guess is that they were never really for sale and sold out. I'm guessing they were introduced as "sold out" until they get everything set for sales.

Winner: VT_EE. Really, thanks for the pointer!

Last edited:
Tesla is now selling a roof rack for the model 3 on their website. It's $450 and already sold out.
That's awesome! If some were actually sold, looking forward to an actual install before ordering my Model 3 :)

I have a normal square bar roof rack presently on my car so am I correct that the T-Slot system is something that is "universal' and used by different manufacturer such as Thule and Yakima? Thanks!

Hopefully they let us sign up for an alert email.
I'm counting on VT_EE to alert us!

That's awesome! If some were actually sold, looking forward to an actual install before ordering my Model 3 :)
Gosh I'd like to get into the Beta program for those bars! But clearly the design and engineering has already been done. It would be nice to have a proper review of them, wouldn't it? I assume they have locks. And sadly, I'm expecting yet another proprietary key system... after spending years and untold dollars standardizing on Yakima product here. If they come with the Yakima key cores, I'll be thrilled!

I have a normal square bar roof rack presently on my car so am I correct that the T-Slot system is something that is "universal' and used by different manufacturer such as Thule and Yakima? Thanks!
As far as I understand, the industry is standardizing on that T-slot for cross-bars. But even if that turns out to be untrue, it is quite simple to purchase the matching hardware that will fit in any T-slot that anybody happens to develop. So on that front, we're in great shape. T-slots allow you to adapt just about anything to mount on the bars.

(And honestly, I've been begging (Ok, mostly whining) for years for the auto industry to develop a standard slot mounting system in that roof seam of all cars that have roof seams. Then the rack makers compete on all the rest of it... but they all mount up the same way. Hey, a guy can dream. But it is unlikely to happen because everybody likes to have their proprietary stuff to ensure that you purchase their stuff.)

• Helpful
does anyone know if these bars are meant for permanent install or if they would be practical to add/remove on demand? I'd only need to use them a couple of times a month for transporting bikes. I would rather not have added wind noise by keeping them on permanently. Any thoughts?
Everything I can determine from the pictures and the mounts built into the car indicates that they're designed to be easily installed and removed. Plus the text on the sales page says as much. Nobody wants crossbars on in a permanent or semi-permanent fashion... and least not folks who operate aerodynamic cars! I think you can safely assume that you'll be able to run out and toss the bars on when needed, and remove and store them the other 50 weeks out of the year. Exactly how I deal with the racks that I've installed on all my cars over the past 20 years.

I expect that there will be a L or J-shaped stainless connector that will slip down past the gasket into the seam, and tuck into the welded mount on the car. This thing protrudes from the bottom of the rack's feet, and will tighten with a clamp or screw that's integrated in the foot. Tightening this device will pull the L connector and the foot together, sandwiching the roof of the car. Basically the same way that the typical, more universal mounts work that reach around the door into the weatherstripping... but in this case hidden and more elegant. And without worry about the paint.

My only issue with them (I mean besides not having them available yet!) is that the spread is so small. I can't fit my cargo box on the bars without significant modification fo the mounts on my box.

Last edited:
Everything I can determine from the pictures and the mounts built into the car indicates that they're designed to be easily installed and removed. Plus the text on the sales page says as much. Nobody wants crossbars on in a permanent or semi-permanent fashion... and least not folks who operate aerodynamic cars! I think you can safely assume that you'll be able to run out and toss the bars on when needed, and remove and store them the other 50 weeks out of the year. Exactly how I deal with the racks that I've installed on all my cars over the past 20 years.

My only issue with them (I mean besides not having them available yet!) is that the spread is so small. I can't fit my cargo box on the bars without significant modification fo the mounts on my box.

With your experience are they difficult to install? Do you need a special tool...i had an element but i had the dealer install them and never took them off

With your experience are they difficult to install? Do you need a special tool...i had an element but i had the dealer install them and never took them off
I'd be shocked if a special tool were needed... though that is one way that some designers will incorporate security into the product. My semi-educated best guess at this point is that the first time they're mounted, you'll need to adjust the tension of the L or J piece with a wrench. And once set, you'll just flip a lever to clamp and unclamp the feet. Total speculation at this point, of course! But there are common and practical aspects about mounting racks that we can probably count on.

Our Volvo XC90 bars with T-Slot don't need any tool. They have thumbwheel wing nuts to tighten and loosen. But they are locked to the car with keys that I keep in the glove compartment. For one person, they take about 4-5 mins in total for both bars to install / take off. It will be slightly faster with two people.

However, the Volvo has built-in rails to mount the bars. Model 3 doesn't. That's kind'a why I'm wondering if the mounting is going to be more permanent. Tesla's copy says "easy installation at home", not "quick installation". I hope it is a quick on/off thing.