Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got word on why they are not selling the roof racks anymore? With thousands of cars pouring into Europe, many countries here use roof racks for their ski boxes several months of the year, so it would be nice to know what´s happening.

Has anyone got word on why they are not selling the roof racks anymore? With thousands of cars pouring into Europe, many countries here use roof racks for their ski boxes several months of the year, so it would be nice to know what´s happening.
Yes, Tesla is dropping the ball here and I bet they know it. Likely, they ran into some production problems with the roof rack...... they had other priorities in the last few months.

Another data point.

I just visited a rack retail shop. They are an authorized Tesla shop and do lots of hitch installs for all Tesla models. They are also an authorized reseller for both Yakima and Thule.

I went in to look at ski racks (both regular ski racks and cargo boxes) in anticipation of ordering the Tesla roof rack. I chatted with the owner, who seemed very knowledgeable; he mentioned he is pretty tied into the Tesla community. When I asked about my options for a Model 3, he immediately indicated the real only option right now is a hitch.

He knows about the Tesla roof rack, knows it's not shipping and knows about some of the issues discussed on this and other threads. He mentioned he has heard Tesla is considering pulling this product as there is too much risk of improper installs. Tesla has already received complaints about glass roof cracking. He was yet to see a Tesla roof rack, but knew about the metal tabs and how it's supposed to be installed. He thinks they have to offer a different solution or offer something like the Model S, but that would require a new roof design.

Yes, there is an incentive for him to sell a hitch rather than a ski rack or cargo box as both revenue and margin are much higher for him. But everything he said made sense to me. In fact, he discussed the hitch option as if he was resigned to losing a potential sale due to prohibitive cost.

Another data point.

I just visited a rack retail shop. They are an authorized Tesla shop and do lots of hitch installs for all Tesla models. They are also an authorized reseller for both Yakima and Thule.

I went in to look at ski racks (both regular ski racks and cargo boxes) in anticipation of ordering the Tesla roof rack. I chatted with the owner, who seemed very knowledgeable; he mentioned he is pretty tied into the Tesla community. When I asked about my options for a Model 3, he immediately indicated the real only option right now is a hitch.

He knows about the Tesla roof rack, knows it's not shipping and knows about some of the issues discussed on this and other threads. He mentioned he has heard Tesla is considering pulling this product as there is too much risk of improper installs. Tesla has already received complaints about glass roof cracking. He was yet to see a Tesla roof rack, but knew about the metal tabs and how it's supposed to be installed. He thinks they have to offer a different solution or offer something like the Model S, but that would require a new roof design.

Yes, there is an incentive for him to sell a hitch rather than a ski rack or cargo box as both revenue and margin are much higher for him. But everything he said made sense to me. In fact, he discussed the hitch option as if he was resigned to losing a potential sale due to prohibitive cost.

I don't think there is any show-stoppers for Tesla to continue to sell the roof rack. As I mentioned in my video and have written elsewhere, I believe they could include a better hardware package with the kit for sure that would make it easier to install (longer bolts into a custom hex nut as opposed to an Allen nut which limits the length the bolt can be). I measured the torque I was applying when I reinstalled the rack (after taking it off for my consumption tests), and it was actually pretty hard to apply the 8 Nm they specified in the manual. I didn't actually go as far 8 Nm though as I thought I heard some 'sounds' of some kind when tightening the bolts to about 4 Nm (which is plenty snug... turns out my initial guess at the right torque only turned out to be about 1 Nm! And no problem with the whole kit flying off...). The pads themselves don't even rest on the roof at all, so when properly installed, all the weight is bearing on the metal frame.

As for production issues though... who knows on that one!

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
In Norway we are expecting thousands of car deliveries within a few weeks. Tesla Norway say the roof rack will be available but have no idea when. Why is information flow so poorly executed in Tesla on this I wonder? Do they not have a communications dept.?

And like that gone. I showed it would only let me add two to cart after I bought mine. Adding 5 or 6 at a time to the inventory. Might fill the need in a couple years.

I checked 8 or 9 times a day. Almost felt the same joy as when I got my Model 3 invite to configure. Ski team has to ride in something other than the ICE Suburban.

98EE4D88-01A8-4B81-A9E5-C8D2AE5B9235.jpeg
****ing insane... it was literally up for 12 minutes. I wrote a bot to check every min.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Kind of frustrating to see. Let's say 8-10% of people would buy a roof rack that buy a Model 3.

When we hear talks about every 5 seconds counts or some other nonsense when it comes to assembly. Telling me an upsell to accessories isn't just an easy layup in margin on a sale. Not talking jackets and kids onesies, but basics. Racks, all weather floor mats.

No bot writing by me. Just dumb luck.

Reactions: skitown
I happened to check the Tesla product page at 6:41 PM (PT) tonight -- cuz that's what I've been doing like 40 times a day for a month... and got lucky. Placed my order, and then immediately re-checked the product page: Sold Out already! I wonder how many they had in stock (not enough). Sure wish Tesla would let people back-order things that are expected to come back into stock.

Reactions: CSnow and cstork