Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seats are horrible compromise decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Questions:

How tall are you?
Age?
Height?
How many miles do you drive in one sitting for long trips without stops?
What other Tesla models and specific seats do you have and their use as well?
6’ 1”
150 to 200 (I’ve always preferred to get out of the car and take breaks as much as possible)

Own an X and have owned a 2013 S and have used them all on long multi-day trips. Each car’s seats are different, and there are different versions of seats within a single car model. My 3 is relatively new, VIN 99xxx, and so far I love the seats even though they are very different from the S and X (and I like the X seats much better than the S, which obviously was an early car, VIN 27xxx). It remains to be seen how the 3 seats will hold up over tens of thousands of miles of course. No foam “shedding” so far.

6’ 1”
150 to 200 (I’ve always preferred to get out of the car and take breaks as much as possible)

Own an X and have owned a 2013 S and have used them all on long multi-day trips. Each car’s seats are different, and there are different versions of seats within a single car model. My 3 is relatively new, VIN 99xxx, and so far I love the seats even though they are very different from the S and X (and I like the X seats much better than the S, which obviously was an early car, VIN 27xxx). It remains to be seen how the 3 seats will hold up over tens of thousands of miles of course. No foam “shedding” so far.

Based on your S they are the older seats and the 3 likely has the better seats as well. I believe Tesla did not make any of those seats. The shedding issue could be as simple as something hitting the foam yet that should not be happening. The issue I see is that for a softer foam on the 3 it is not thick enough for the density to size ratio and the bolsters on the lower portion of the seats literally have no support as they flatten with little leg weight. The left side bolster is also weaker on both of my seats as the foam is a smaller section they did not adjust for. The right side is better, if I hold the left with my hand slightly it then makes a huge difference. Not sure the year of your X but the newer S seats are longer in the seat which eliminates pressure under one spot of the leg. Thinner and taller folks will notice this on the back of the leg. I have yet to understand the lumber on these seats as bot adjustments seem to do about the same thing.

Reactions: super20g
The OP is smoking crack the seats are amazing. Love them to death better than my IS-F seats or EVO seats.
I think all you who think these seats are comfortable and don't agree with the OP must not have any back issues. I have back issues and the M3 seats are indeed uncomfortable. Even my doctor told me what you want for back problems are stiff and sportive seats without any give. That's because give lets the back go into bad posture positions. When I am in my wife's Mazda RX9, for example, I don't ever have any back pain because the seats have very little give and are very supportive with thick real stitched leather and large side bolster support. M3 seats give me pain after just a few minutes.

Or perhaps your seats are built different as I noted. There are more than one version and mine are less than a week old. You can also see others with similar seat wear issues. In addition my steering wheel cover is bubbling off and I have two bubbles on my dash board, clearly not real since you don't have the same issue right? Great use of logic, I 'm pretty sure that anyone that knows well made seats knows how poorly these seats are designed. When I hear things like they feel "pillowy" then it's clear that person has no clue what makes a good car seat. Likely uses a gel cover on a bicycle as well. Certainly if the seats work well for you that means they are designed and built well- LOL. Funny how two major car mag reviews have noted the poor bolster support already. I drove a M3P with white seats and it was a joke, like a beach chair with pillows on top. Funny how the sales guys at Tesla said there is no difference in the seats until they compared them and then agreed there is a significant difference in the white and black. My friend has a very early vin and his seats are very different than mine. Lastly, I sat in the original prototype seats and they were far better in every way that even the best S seats, Tesla changed to these because it made the S look bad in comparison, market segmentation at it's best.
So are you saying the white or the black sets are better?

75 year old, 220 lb, 6'4" with long history of back pain, both lower and upper. Wifey lets me drive the 3 most of the time. On my first drive I was out for six hours and 300+ miles and I didn't have any real trouble. Yes, I agree that the S is more supportive, but all I had to do was find the best recline angle for the 3. And I took a codeine, but I do that alla time.

53, 6'3" and 185. I think the seats are amazing actually. I NEVER have enough support for my thighs, so they could add one of those pull out pieces like Mercedes has - but you have to accommodate the tiny 5' people as well, so I understand it. The bolsters are great and the cushioning just right for my backside. I find most seats a little on the hard side and not great for longer drives. I like to push this car like we all do of course and it does pretty well overall. :)

Reactions: electracity
So are you saying the white or the black sets are better?

I'm not. I can tell you the white seats are softer and move much more even side to side because the outer material is so soft. I also suspect that some M3 seats are stiffer than others as I drove an early one that felt different than mine. I do know that when making a sharp turn I should not feel the seat frame under the leg bolster that flattens out. What's the point of a bolster if it goes flat with very tittle pressure?

It seems like you have a defective seat - having problems with the seat in 1 week / 500 miles. Suggest you get them fixed under warranty. I have covered more than 10K miles on my M3 in the last 5 months, and I have not experienced any of the problems with the seats that you have mentioned.

Last month I completed a 2600 mile round trip in 8 days, including a trip up Brasstown Bald Mountain in Georgia. Drove in excess of 600 miles on a couple of days and did not experience any of the issues you are having, no fatigue, no backache. I am 5'11" and 180 lbs. The only issue I seemed to have with the seat, is that when I tried to take a quick nap during charging breaks, I did not find it too comfortable for a nap. But then I have the car to drive not to nap, so not making a big issue out of it. My TL was really comfortable for a nap.

As a matter of fact, my wife who has a bad back, and always had a problem after long trips in my previous 2015 Acura TLX and 2011 Acura TL had zero back ache even after a 2600 mile trip. In fact, she has already started planing another road trip for Spring, whereas earlier she preferred trips by Air instead. Looks like Tesla will turn her into a road warrior as well.

After reading your post, I specifically checked all over the seat, and could not feel any metal anywhere other than the bottom of the seat near the floor. Speeding through the twisting roads on the Brasstown Bald Mountain, did not feel any roll. I was too busy enjoying the exhilarating drive, and the super handling. No creases or blemishes anywhere on the seats after 5 months and 10K miles.

Yes, I agree that the seat could be slightly longer to provide support for the thigh, but it is not a deal breaker for me. My Acura TLX had the same problem, compared to the TL which had a longer seat. Also, the seat material is definitely not top class, it is not real leather, but then the M3 is not supposed to be a high end luxury vehicle, even though the price is.

I have been using leather seats since my 2005 Honda Accord days, yes I miss the feel of real leather, but the super handling and the features of the M3, more than make up for the lack of real leather here. I could spend another 1500 and buy Recaro seats, but I am staying with the original ones.
'

I asked when it was in service and they said it was not and they have received quite a few complaints about the seats, particularly the lumbar portion. I may try the lumbar mods posted on another thread.

Got my 3 in April, I have bought many new luxury cars over the years BMW, Mercedes both with standard and upgraded seating, I find the seats in my 3 very comfortable, more so than the multi contour seats in my last BMW a 2014 535d, Agreed that the premium interior is not premium but I love the car so much with its excellent handling and awesome powertrain that I am willing to overlook these shortcomings to be able to drive the best car I have ever owned, also it does not hurt my feelings that it is the safest and most economical car to drive as well.

i've found the seat extremely uncomfortable from the start.
I literally wish i could put a fabric honda or toyota seat in it.
I've talked to some car shops and no one wants to touch it as warranty would be voided.
I don't know anything about seats, but can someone really rebuild a seat and make it that much different from how it was designed, or do you end up with a bastardized seat that works for no one?
i've thought about asking a custom car shop to just take a stock honda seat an put it in, but again, voided warranty stops this action.
if anyone has a plan or shop that they think would tackle this, i'd appreciate a tip very much.
thanks

I think all you who think these seats are comfortable and don't agree with the OP must not have any back issues. I have back issues and the M3 seats are indeed uncomfortable. Even my doctor told me what you want for back problems are stiff and sportive seats without any give. That's because give lets the back go into bad posture positions. When I am in my wife's Mazda RX9, for example, I don't ever have any back pain because the seats have very little give and are very supportive with thick real stitched leather and large side bolster support. M3 seats give me pain after just a few minutes.
I am in exactly the same boat. These seats set my back off in a matter of minutes!!! HELP!

Reactions: beachmiles
Suffer from degenerative disc disease, L4-L5 area is the worst and I have found these seats comfortable, like I said before these seats just fit me better than others, not sure why they don't for you?
The thing is that having back problems is a very generic description. There are all sorts of different back problems and different positions act differently on those individual problems. Some will find the seats comfortable and some won't.

The thing is that having back problems is a very generic description. There are all sorts of different back problems and different positions act differently on those individual problems. Some will find the seats comfortable and some won't.
Just stating MY particular experience and including the fact that I suffer from back problems since you stated that "all of you who think the seats are comfortable must not have back issues" I agree with what you are saying as back problems are very different and what works for one won't for another, and I am saying they work for me and I don't know why they don't work for you? thats all, nothing more to it.

Reactions: Perry
I really like the seats in my 3. They fit me well and are comfortable to me. I had a Model S loaner and disliked those seats as I found them too narrow for my wide frame.

I did a 1400 mile road trip in the Model 3, and never had any complaints about the seats.

My wife doesn't like the Model 3 passenger seat because she says the headrest protrudes too far forward (for her) and doesn't let her rest her head back enough.

Last edited: