Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seats are horrible compromise decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I could take the fabric seats from my GTI and put them in my 3. They were 10x more comfortable and supportive. I hate the Model 3 seats.

I traded in a GTI for my Model 3. I definitely miss the bolstering and some of the firmness, but part of the reason I sold that car is the seats are TOO stiff on longer rides. And I’m a bigger guy.

I do worry about the padding in the Model 3 breaking down over time. I had that happen to me once in a Jeep.

I really like the seats in my 3. They fit me well and are comfortable to me. I had a Model S loaner and disliked those seats as I found them too narrow for my wide frame.

I did a 1400 mile road trip in the Model 3, and never had any complaints about the seats.

My wife doesn't like the Model 3 passenger seat because she says the headrest protrudes too far forward (for her) and doesn't let her rest her head back enough.

I too hate the Model S seats. That and the headroom kept me from leasing one a long time ago. I prefer the. Ideal 3 seats as well. 6’2”, 250.

I hear your wife’s complaint about the headrest but I have owned two Volvo’s and they do the same thing. It’s actually better in a crash. I got used to it years ago.

There is a guy online who bent his headrest supports to make the angle less obtrusive if you are into that. I’m not, personally.

It's all subjective..... I love them... Girlfriend hates them....

Personally, I think they are the best seats I have even had in my cars....

It's the first seat that doesn't make me sore or fatigued on long drives of 2 - 3 hours in the car.

Girlfriends Pontiac, Sonata and my Acura make me happy to get out of the car after just an hour of driving.

Reactions: Bobbo8
It's all subjective..... I love them... Girlfriend hates them....

Personally, I think they are the best seats I have even had in my cars....

It's the first seat that doesn't make me sore or fatigued on long drives of 2 - 3 hours in the car.

Girlfriends Pontiac, Sonata and my Acura make me happy to get out of the car after just an hour of driving.
I like the Model 3 seats for the most part. My only wish was more aggressive side bolsters, or at least adjustable ones.

Reactions: Magnets!
Did you test drive the car before you bought it? Why live with seats that are so uncomfortable for you that you are researching options to replace them? I would just go for another car with seats you find more comfortable.
well, that is the problem. i've been a Tesla fan for 6 years, and its my dream car, and its 4-5 years ahead of any other option, and i want to send my ICE car to the junk heap. So i'm trying desperately to make it work. Its hard for me to believe that it is so complicated. i've done some reconnoitering, and essentially, there is a spring base, and a not very substantial butt pad, i think that's problem 1, its flimsy and not supportive, and the back rest is also slighty non supportive and shaped differently than just about all other back supports of common seat manufacturers. I just find it crazy that Tesla would make their own seats, there are companies that do it way better, and i would think, just as cost effectively. i know i sound like i'm in the minority, but these are really not very good seats.

Reactions: EVDRVN and rlb4
well, that is the problem. i've been a Tesla fan for 6 years, and its my dream car, and its 4-5 years ahead of any other option, and i want to send my ICE car to the junk heap. So i'm trying desperately to make it work. Its hard for me to believe that it is so complicated. i've done some reconnoitering, and essentially, there is a spring base, and a not very substantial butt pad, i think that's problem 1, its flimsy and not supportive, and the back rest is also slighty non supportive and shaped differently than just about all other back supports of common seat manufacturers. I just find it crazy that Tesla would make their own seats, there are companies that do it way better, and i would think, just as cost effectively. i know i sound like i'm in the minority, but these are really not very good seats.
Perhaps a good upholstery shop modify the seats to your spec? I had my seats reupholstered, but didn't change the padding.

For me the problem is the seat cushion is too soft as I sink in too deep. This acts like a hammock, causing the sides to squeeze into my hips too much. The seats are very narrow to begin with and this just makes it worse. If I lift my butt off of the seat a little the pressure is reduced on the sides of my hips. I think that adding some additional firmer padding in the seat bottom will elevate me and prevent the sinking in hammock effect. I am going to test this by using a seat cushion. I think this sholdn't be too difficult for an upholsterer to do vs widening the seat side bolsters.

Let me say that I can't complain about my M3 AWD as it has been amazing so far but the seats are a complete failure. I'm not sure where to begin but after a 400 mile drive on both highways and twisty roads I can tell you Tesla is not ready to build car seats and they need to go back to buying them or get some serious help. The black seats which are firmer than the white are so soft and cheap feeling that I wish I had the cloth seats from my Tacoma. Here are some of the main failures of this "please every buyer" seat.

1) The cheap soft foam they use is not supportive and at times even pushes down on turns to were I have even felt the seat frame on the side bolster at the front of the seat. Why would anyone have a seat bolster that is intended to support a leg be so soft that it flattens with little pressure? I have never felt any car seat do this ever, total joke.

2) Back support. Feels like balloons with hard rounded curves when increased. There is no way to get proper adjustment without a change of the seat shape distorting and feeling wrong.

3) Seat base length. Too short to properly support the bottom of the legs for someone of my height (5' 10") without creating pressure. I'm 175 lbs not 250 so it's not my weight or legs. Would a little more length hurt?

4) Side bolsters. Not the worst issue of the seat but too low in general and far to low for a car like this. Unacceptable for a M3 performance and some reviews have noted this already.

5) Don't call this premium interior, that is a joke! I don't mind synthetic material and actually prefer it but this is really more like hot plastic. People say not to get leather because it gets hot, not these seats get really hot. I would pay to have a fabric option that looks, feels, and performs better. What is non-premium option going to be, T shirt material? Sit in a model S and see how much nicer and more supportive the fabric seats feel, sit in Honda Civic or any car with modern seats for that matter.

6) Compare the white seats and then the black seats. Yes the white ones are even softer! Then compare MS white seats to M3 white seats and see how superior the S seat feels and how it is not like falling into a bean bag chair.

The leather seats in my 2015 85D and amazing in every way and have none of these issues. I know many people love mushy seats but they are not the correct match for this vehicle in general and have no place in A M3 P in particular. Show me any real performance cars with seats this soft. A seat should be supportive and not feel like a soft pillow that bounces and flattens on turns, you should not squish around in it and and feel disconnected from the car. After a few days of long driving and constant adjustments my back was not feeling good at all yet I can drive 400 miles in a day in the S seats with no issues. Just holding the side of the seat bolster next to the leg made leg fatigue go away. My passenger hated the seats as well and had the same complaints and general feedback and they only weigh 120 lbs. Tesla what were you thinking? Good luck pushing these pillow bags off on the EU market, they will not be well received. I also do not expect his foam to wear well and to get worse faster than other modern auto seats.

Does anyone know a good upholstery shop in the bay area or LA that may be able to do new foam for the seats or a complete redo with new coverings as well? Even some mods may help a bit. I see a great aftermarket kit opportunity! Rant over.....
I agree, I do not like the seats, beat the hell out of the chevy bolt seats though. If you sit towards the back of the seat so you can try to get some back support it feels like your sitting on a bar. My guess it is because I am sitting on a bar. I even like the old model S seats better than the 3's.

My wife loves the marshmellow white seats in the 3 though...

For me the problem is the seat cushion is too soft as I sink in too deep. This acts like a hammock, causing the sides to squeeze into my hips too much. The seats are very narrow to begin with and this just makes it worse. If I lift my butt off of the seat a little the pressure is reduced on the sides of my hips. I think that adding some additional firmer padding in the seat bottom will elevate me and prevent the sinking in hammock effect. I am going to test this by using a seat cushion. I think this sholdn't be too difficult for an upholsterer to do vs widening the seat side bolsters.

This. Exactly.

I don’t have a problem with comfort but I only have a little over a thousand miles and they already showing wear! They were showing wear even at a few hundred miles, for reference I am of normal weight and I am not rough on the seats. I can see lines where the foam padding is underneath.

Reactions: GoldCountryCA
i have a late 2016 (S) with the new front fascia and the seats are uncomfortable (esp the sides are too encroaching and the back headrests push too far forward).

Compared to that the 3's seats we've found to be really good overall - we did a roadtrip with no complaints from family members....