Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 48.12 update is wonderful. However, it seems that the browser still crashes. Would love that to be fixed as I use it all the time. If it was more reliable there would be more pages for the car.

I spoke to the guys at the service center when I was returning the Model S they loaned me while my Model 3 was in for service and mentioned that the browser in that car crashes. I had been thru 3 OSs while my Model 3 was being fixed and ALL of them had the same issue with the browser crashing whenever you get out of the car so that when you get back in you have to two-wheel reboot the car to surf.

They suggested that I reset the trip meters and remove the cookies on the browser, but said it was a known issue. Don't wanna reset my Lifetime Trip meter... ever. I think they were implying they are the only ones that can reset the cookies. I hope another update fixes the crashing web browser.

-Randy

They suggested that I reset the trip meters and remove the cookies on the browser, but said it was a known issue. Don't wanna reset my Lifetime Trip meter... ever. I think they were implying they are the only ones that can reset the cookies. I hope another update fixes the crashing web browser.

-Randy
How did they suggest you remove the cookies? There's really no option to do anything like that in the browser.

LOL. We must have been testing at the same time. I was just coming on here to say the same thing. No go on steering for me as well. Definitely a bummer. I've read that Xbox controllers work, but I didn't want to spend that much on a controller, so I'm going to try this Amazon Basics version next.

Since we’re both on this journey together, do you mind quoting me when it comes in and letting me know how it works? I’m determined now! Haha

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Since we’re both on this journey together, do you mind quoting me when it comes in and letting me know how it works? I’m determined now! Haha

Well Amazon delivered that shockingly fast, so I can already confirm that it works! However there is one caveat. It works perfectly on every game except for Pole Position. On that game the steering is very weird and I have to do very short quick taps left or right to steer the car using the left analog joystick. It's far rougher than using the wheel, and basically makes the game unplayable. The fact that every other game works well, makes me wonder if this is more to do with how Tesla coded that game than the controller. A bit of a bummer because that's the sole game I wanted it for (so my kids can play from the backseat, and so I don't have a game that is physically moving the wheels of my car).

Can anyone report if an official Xbox controller works better? My experience looks similar to what I see in this video, note how the car barely moves when he taps the stick and then suddenly moves erratically. I experienced the erratic movement as well.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: lupend88
I am not 100% sure that this is related to the 48.12 update, but I lost the capability to play a radio station using voice command (I used to be able to say 'play WGBH' and the local NPR would come on; now it gives me a silent 'load error' on the screen and goes back to whatever it's playing). I suspect a UI reset or a reboot would fix it, but the issue isn't severe enough for me to break my 'no reset/reboot' streak. I hope the problem would go away when the next update arrives.

The 48.12 update is wonderful. However, it seems that the browser still crashes. Would love that to be fixed as I use it all the time. If it was more reliable there would be more pages for the car.

Yeah it's crazy the web browser is still broken after all this time, it doesn't just break the Browser app but also anything in the UI that has web content like the Owners Manual and some informational dialogs.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
One negative I have noticed about 48.12 is that while on my EAP 30 day trial, the initial "hands on the wheel" warning now comes up with a dark background instead of the previous blue background, so it is less obvious, so I more often get to the big blue bar flashing at the top of the screen before noticing.

• Disagree
Reactions: PoitNarf
Picked up my Model 3 from PPF/ceramic pro work today and brought home. Looks fabulous, I love this car. With in a short time checked the app from the house and saw the yellow clock and installed 48.12. Checked out the Romance Mode fireplace (actually like it on our MS better as you get to see the full flame due to the positioning of the screen) and the Emissions Test first thing. Updated Tesla iPhone app later this evening.

On .48.12.1 now, and AP feels smoother than ever. I can’t quantify the difference, but likely it is operating the accelerator/brakes a lot more smoothly. No jerky acceleration in traffic or braking hard when a car cuts in front. Lane changes are also less aggressive, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how quickly you need to switch.