Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone notice any AP differences or anything else substantial besides the audio visual stuff?
Having bass back would be a big step forward.
* Navigation on AutoPilot (NOA) over the past couple of versions (2018.46.x and 2018.48.12.1 does not seem to be as adept at changing lanes as earlier v9 versions. One time NOA would not change lanes to the left when there was no car closer than 60 yards. NOA is still not adept at changing lanes quickly either.
* NOA tells you it recognizes construction zones now although this may not be a 2018.48.12.1 feature it is the first time I have seen the message. NOA tells you that NOA is limited due to your being in a construction zone. It detected the construction zone at night a couple of times.
* The long running issue with AutoSteer+ and NOA moving to the center of the lane and crowding an exit ramp that does not have a dotted line across the entrance to a highway is still not fixed in this release
* NOA appears to be slightly better performing in slow moving traffic. It is not quite as slow to react as earlier versions of v9.
* NOA overall is still a work in progress and has quite a bit of work to be done.
* My bass has returned. I have had no issues of the bass disappearing during 4 different trips. Some mentioned that the problem is intermittent now but sometimes works. The stereo sounds similar to when I picked up the Model 3 in October.

I can't back this up with hard data, but this 48.12.1 update seems like the fastest rollout I've seen yet (since I've been watching TeslaFi over the past couple of months). Even faster than the initial v9 release. Nearly 1500 installs today alone for the TeslaFi user base. They really wanted people to have their farts and video games in time for Christmas!

Has anyone tried out the USB controller support yet? Thinking of getting this, or this to stick with the retro theme.

Edit: Unrelated, but I just noticed that TMC auto-inserts TMC referral tags into Amazon product links. I didn't put those there. I have no issue with it, just thought it was really interesting.

The first link in the quoted post above DOES NOT work with the Model 3 for TeslAtari. Major bummer. The action item works (for games that shoot something or acceleration in Pole Position) but the steering DOES NOT work on all games. Bummer! Someone please report back if/when they find a USB controller that works.

Reactions: ConcordeSST
The first link in the quoted post above DOES NOT work with the Model 3 for TeslAtari. Major bummer. The action item works (for games that shoot something or acceleration in Pole Position) but the steering DOES NOT work on all games. Bummer! Someone please report back if/when they find a USB controller that works.

LOL. We must have been testing at the same time. I was just coming on here to say the same thing. No go on steering for me as well. Definitely a bummer. I've read that Xbox controllers work, but I didn't want to spend that much on a controller, so I'm going to try this Amazon Basics version next.

Last edited:
Read a lot of positive things about improvements with wipers so was disappointed with my drive this evening where I had to use manual mode more then once.
It was raining fairly hard and the wipers just went too slow. I suspect part of the reason was it was nighttime. I really wish there was a setting for the Model 3 so you could
set how aggressive the wipers should be. Everyone is different so I don't see how Tesla can make all of us happy so an "aggressive" setting would help address that. They do work better then earlier this year so that is positive.

As far as NoA is concerned I didn't see any real difference. If anything not as smooth in rush hour traffic. I haven't been impressed with NoA anyway. Of my 3 highway exits NoA only works on one. When I get to the first exit where I'm getting on another 3 lane interstate I get messages starting at 700 feet that NoA will be disengaged. At least it gives me warnings every 200 feet. I get that since it's a fairly sharp exit but it's not that sharp IMO. On the next exit NoA takes the exit too fast so I have to take over or I'd go off the exit ramp. Same for the last exit. These are 2 major highways west of Boston (I93 & I495) so I would have expected better. Just straight forward lane exits with no lane splits or other complications.

For the second time due to rain (and not that heavy) the screen displayed a message that poor weather was detected and autopilot would be limited. I wonder if they will be able to address that with FSD?

Last edited:
Like seeing this:)
Screenshot_20181221-205851_Tesla.jpg

I just updated as well and am wondering why it defaults to turning all seats on low. Too bad it can't learn the seats that are commonly used or only turn on the ones that were last enabled. Maybe next update!

Edit: Maybe it is trying to remember but is really lagged? I tried several times and it always defaults to all seats on low. I started turning them off and then the drivers's seat changed so I think it is just slow to update.

Last edited:
I just updated as well and am wondering why it defaults to turning all seats on low. Too bad it can't learn the seats that are commonly used or only turn on the ones that were last enabled. Maybe next update!

Edit: Maybe it is trying to remember but is really lagged? I tried several times and it always defaults to all seats on low. I started turning them off and then the drivers's seat changed so I think it is just slow to update.
My experience is different. My seats are defaulted to off when I turned on climate. Then when I selected any seat the seat defaulted to high.