Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else seeing artifacting/distortion on the repeater cameras? Seems fairly consistent on every clip. flickers in and out

distortion.PNG

Is there a handy guide available for how sentry mode works?

Specifically, is manually checking the USB the only way to know if sentry mode recorded an event?
Sentry mode is supposed to send video to the server to preserve portable evidence. Not sure if it works yet or how to access videos in the cloud, but when activated the feature should alert you to recorded events.

Manually reading the USB FAT is the only way I know to see if new dashcams are active or any are actually working in the absence of an event.

I can confirm there no improvement in the nervous autopilot lane change. One mid lane abort on my commute this morning ended in in a near road rage incident and a friendly signaling that the other drive thought the Model 3 was ranked no.1.

I swear I'm going to get pulled over for suspected drunk driving one day when a cop sees autopilot ping ponging between lanes...

Reactions: billh13850
Sentry mode is supposed to send video to the server to preserve portable evidence. Not sure if it works yet or how to access videos in the cloud, but when activated the feature should alert you to recorded events.

Manually reading the USB FAT is the only way I know to see if new dashcams are active or any are actually working in the absence of an event.

It would be neat if the icon changed in the car to reflect if a clip was recorded. Though in my limited exposure, it's SUPER sensitive and is recording a lot of stuff. Seems like this will only be useful in a worst case event where the alarm is triggered, not really useful if you just want to see if someone is snooping around the car

I swear I'm going to get pulled over for suspected drunk driving one day when a cop sees autopilot ping ponging between lanes...

Already happened to me I didn't know a cop was behind me at night as I was doing 115 in a 100km limit. signalled to go in the right most lane as he came up and ping ponged back and forth and then had to manually change. When he passed me I freaked out lol, but he continued on his way, but yeah I know the feeling.

• Funny
Reactions: PoitNarf
Anyway, no joy here and trying to get a mobile service call, else will have to drive to Tyson’s with a dead screen. (Lol, is that legal?)
You can use your phone to see your current speed, if necessary.

BTW, the download for us was only 59 MB this morning so it must be doing it in pieces now, if necessary. No other big downloads all week so it must've downloaded the rest from the hotspot at work.

It means your USB drive is too slow. I had the same issue and getting a faster drive fixed it. I’m running a 128gb sandisk now, it was around 20 bucks.

I don't think this is the issue. I just went for a drive and tested saving some clips while moving. There is distortion on the lower portion of the video any time the car is entirely stationary. As soon as I start moving, or a moving object enters the frame, it goes away. I wonder if this is part of how the car recognizes moving objects vs stationary?

It means your USB drive is too slow..

It can't mean that.

The speed at which the cameras are recording to the key are massively slower than even the crappiest USB keys out there.

The cameras record 1.8gb/hour per camera... so 30mb/min or 0.5 mb/second

3 cameras at once gets you to 1.5 mb/second

Which even the slowest USB sticks you can find in 4GB and up should be 3-4 times faster than that on the bottom end of the barrel for write speeds and more like 10-20 times faster for merely mediocre ones.

Last edited:
Next update on my failed update... (lol); waiting for a mobile callback. Could be 72 hours. Or, the next Tyson's appointment is Friday. So, SOL either way. Love to hear the root cause analysis on this one when it's back on the air.... GF is driving her old 10 year old Scion to Metro. Reminded her to be sure to put on the parking brake and lock the doors.... :D

I've had software brick a car, but not the actual install.... yeesh....

Have you tried swinging by Tyson's service center to see if they can take walk ins? I've had luck twice already that they had openings that don't show up in the app to schedule servicing. It seems that software troubleshooting should be quick to act on.

I just noticed with 5.15 when trying out Doggy Mode, you get a warning that Sentry Mode will be disabled. I know with 5.4 that was the case, too, but no warning about it.
Yes but they should improve the warning:

WARNING: Sentry Mode has been disable to protect the hearing of a sentient being. Protective services have been transferred to said sentient being.

Reactions: MentalNomad