Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit confused by the versioning scheme. My model 3 (euro spec) is on 2019.5.25 - is this more recent than .15 or older? No sentry mode - really hoping this starts landing on this side of the sea soon :-(

As far as we can tell 2019.5.25 was a Europe only version. There has been some discussion on here on whether the camera recording for Sentry Mode complies with GDPR in Europe. It's very possible that GDPR compliance is delaying or preventing Sentry Mode (at least the camera recording portion) from coming to Europe.

I'm a bit confused by the versioning scheme. My model 3 (euro spec) is on 2019.5.25 - is this more recent than .15 or older? No sentry mode - really hoping this starts landing on this side of the sea soon :-(

I agree; they added confusing variance to the numbering scheme when they issued different lines, presumably based on regulatory requirements for car behavior in different places and/or language support. I'm thinking that they're starting those variants at .2#, but we have no public way of knowing.

Having seen them pop up in Teslafi, I can say that the 2019.5.15 currently rolling broadly in the USA is newer than the 2019.5.25 which we saw deploying in Europe several days earlier.

They just added 2019.5.16, as well, which is newer, still! While 2019.5.15 has gone predominantly to Model 3s, only a smattering of X and S vehicles got it, to test. The newer 2019.5.16 variant is going to a higher ratio of S and X vehicles. It likely includes tweaks/bug-fixes that apply to S/X and aren't necessary for 3s... As a result, we can see that 2019.5.15 is rolling as full release on Model 3s, but the 2019.5 is still being refined for other models, so it's still being slow-rolled as they refine it for other models. (And they are releasing 2019.5.16 on a small number of 3s to ensure that the S/X fixes don't break things for the 3, so that they can continue being supported on the same software for the next version.)

A sampling makes this all obvious - we see "test" levels of 5.15 going to S/X, "rollout" levels of 5.15 going to Model 3, and we see "test" levels of 5.16 going to all models.

upload_2019-3-12_13-48-33.png

• Helpful
Reactions: ohowl
I received the 5.15 update last night. It appears autopilot works better now. AP used to hug the edge of the road when going around sharp turns--sometimes even slightly going off the road. Now it appears to stay in the center of the lane on those same curves. Anyone else noticed a difference?

Similar to @Quocamus, the charging rate of my 3 before and after the update has remained constant at 30 mi/hr. It's starting to look more likely that Tesla unlocked some reserve below the former 0%. I'm still waiting for someone with a metered EVSE to confirm that the miles gained for each kWh is unchanged before and after the update.
I realized that I do have a metered EVSE with a history that I can view, since I charge at work with ChargePoint. I just compared the kWh added in the ChargePoint history against the rated miles added (logged in Teslafi) for each charge at this location.

The 15 charges before the update averaged 4.25 miles/kWh with a standard deviation of 0.2. My charge after the update was 4.27 miles/kWh which is close. If they had just changed the constant for the calculation of rated miles, it should have increased to roughly 4.46 miles/kWh. So again, this suggests there is actually an increase in the usable battery capacity. I will continue to monitor my charges to get more data, and it would be interesting to see results from others as well.

Have you tried swinging by Tyson's service center to see if they can take walk ins? I've had luck twice already that they had openings that don't show up in the app to schedule servicing. It seems that software troubleshooting should be quick to act on.
Thanks for the suggestion.... If I get no joy from mobile, I may do that. Mobile is supposedly 'looking into it' right now, but not sure how they can do so remotely when the car isn't connected to the network... ?!

As for the releases, I'd assumed 15 and 25 were the same, one with Sentry turned off for Europe GDPR, as was stated. Then .16 appeared, which made little sense. I first thought 16 was a 15 replacement but 15 then started wholesale domestic rollout... Arg....

It would be clear if we had clear release notes, but that has never happened. :D

Why is sentry mode on a per use. Can’t we have turn it on automatically every time we leave the car?

It’s possible that we may get the ability to have it automatically enable each time in a future update but for now you have to remember to activate it each time. After having Sentry Mode for over 2 weeks and seeing that it only really uses about 1 mile of range per hour it’s activated I welcome the option of an automatically enabled Sentry Mode. At the very least it would be nice to have a quicker way to turn it on from the screen in the car. I had suggested holding down the lock icon for ~3 seconds to enable it.

It’s possible that we may get the ability to have it automatically enable each time in a future update but for now you have to remember to activate it each time. After having Sentry Mode for over 2 weeks and seeing that it only really uses about 1 mile of range per hour it’s activated I welcome the option of an automatically enabled Sentry Mode. At the very least it would be nice to have a quicker way to turn it on from the screen in the car. I had suggested holding down the lock icon for ~3 seconds to enable it.
I used Sentry Mode yesterday from 6AM till 4PM and only lost 3 miles of range; it only detected 2 events that warranted recording. I lost more range over night than I did due to Sentry Mode.

I agree; they added confusing variance to the numbering scheme when they issued different lines, presumably based on regulatory requirements for car behavior in different places and/or language support. I'm thinking that they're starting those variants at .2#, but we have no public way of knowing.

Having seen them pop up in Teslafi, I can say that the 2019.5.15 currently rolling broadly in the USA is newer than the 2019.5.25 which we saw deploying in Europe several days earlier.

View attachment 385772

Thanks for effectively clearing up my confusion!

As for the releases, I'd assumed 15 and 25 were the same, one with Sentry turned off for Europe GDPR, as was stated. Then .16 appeared, which made little sense. I first thought 16 was a 15 replacement but 15 then started wholesale domestic rollout... Arg....

It would be clear if we had clear release notes, but that has never happened. :D

I don't see how GDPR would be relevant to either Teslacam or Sentry Mode. Granted, GDPR is a steaming pile of confusing crap I only deal with indirectly through my job in software architecture, so I'm by no means an expert.

Was the GDPR link stated officially somewhere?

Don't you find that managing storage is a problem? It appears to save every sentry event to the 'saved' folder instead of the rotating 'recent' folder. Its sensitive enough to pick up any activity within 100ft of my car. I've used 8gb of storage within 4 hours of having it enabled!

My suggestion would be to have it pop up a little switch when you put the car in Park, maybe under the dash cam icon, so you can see the setting and quickly change it. Ideally Sentry Mode would keep the setting from the last time you parked, but at least this would make it easy to enable if it does turn off each time.

Reactions: TEG
Thanks for effectively clearing up my confusion!

I don't see how GDPR would be relevant to either Teslacam or Sentry Mode. Granted, GDPR is a steaming pile of confusing crap I only deal with indirectly through my job in software architecture, so I'm by no means an expert.

Was the GDPR link stated officially somewhere?
It was mentioned in post 821. I had come to the same conclusion weeks ago. It may be completely irrelevant, but I have some passing familiarity with GDPR and Infosec, and I can't see what else (public facing cameras) in Sentry mode would prevent US software with it being implemented as-is in Europe. (That is, why create version 25 vs 15?)

You?

Anyone else know if running public recording dashcams all the time in Europe is an issue?

My suggestion would be to have it pop up a little switch when you put the car in Park, maybe under the dash cam icon, so you can see the setting and quickly change it. Ideally Sentry Mode would keep the setting from the last time you parked, but at least this would make it easy to enable if it does turn off each time.

Maybe a double tap of the Park button at the end of the stalk could enable it as well.

Here's historical data of each charging session for my car in the month of March. I took the "charge_miles_added_ideal" and the "charge_energy_added" properties from the Tesla Owner's API for each charge. Then I calculated a wh/mile charge rate from those data points for each charging session.

The last charge was done after receiving 2019.5.15 which included the boost in range. As you can see the wh/mile charge rate is virtually unchanged.

This strongly indicates that it was a battery unlock and NOT a recalculation of the rated miles.

Of course, this is dependent on the assumption that Tesla is using the same wh/mile rating to determine charge rate as it is to show capacity/range. While it's possible they are not, I think this is still strong evidence:

Charge Info.png