Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree completely with this. I’m also wondering if they are using the different cameras in the windshield. I’ve definately noticed the car appears to be accounting for changes further ahead than in the past (even more so than our AP1 model S). It’s very noticeable to me when crossing intersections with broken or no lane lines. There is an intersection that crosses six lanes on my commute to work that I always had to take over on, with 10.5 the car navigates smoothly and lands dead center in the lane on the other side of the intersection.
I'm pretty sure the reason you're seeing an improvement at the intersection is because of the NN.

The manual says 1% per day and warns to be sure you have enough charge if you park at the airport. It says nothing about a deep sleep mode. I hope you are right.

Simply operating the handle should be sufficient. You should not need to actually open the door.

On another note, with the latest update, sometimes the car remembers that I was listening to the USB and resumes where I left off, and sometimes it forgets and I have to go all the way through the menus and select USB and pick an album and a track to start on. On the previous version is almost never remembered.

And another note, I've gotten into the habit of locking the door with the key card because I don't like walking away and hoping it actually locks. When I tried to lock the car from the passenger side, it did not lock. This happened on two separate occasions. I had to go around to the driver's side. Then I was able to lock it with the card. It can be unlocked from either side, but maybe it can be locked only from the driver's side?
The NFC sensor is only on the driver's side.

Agree I can’t find any way to turn it back on, not that I would.

The charging port should unlock when I approach with phone regardless. Quite silly to have to pop a door open to unhook the charger.
It seems like they have disabled it because of the "repeated wake" issue where the mirrors would open and close repeatedly since your phone was detected as you were walking around in your house. I think they will re-enable it once they work out the bugs that were causing it. Hopefully it will be something like a geofence where it will only wake the car when you are at home and within a few feet it. Away from home it can work as before and wake it from further away.

The NFC sensor is only on the driver's side.

How about that! You're right. There's an oval on the passenger-side pillar, but it doesn't respond to the card. With the phone key either door can be opened, so I imagined that oval on the pillar had a sensor as well.

So now there's even less redundancy than I thought. The Prius has touch sensors on both front door handles. With only one NFC on the Model 3, if that fails, the card won't work. And someone who never uses the card wouldn't know, and then if the phone battery goes dead, they are locked out.

Another difference with the Prius: If the fob battery dies, the car can be opened with the physical key, and then the car can be operated by inserting the fob in the slot.

The Model 3 has insufficient redundancy.

It seems like they have disabled it because of the "repeated wake" issue where the mirrors would open and close repeatedly since your phone was detected as you were walking around in your house. I think they will re-enable it once they work out the bugs that were causing it. Hopefully it will be something like a geofence where it will only wake the car when you are at home and within a few feet it. Away from home it can work as before and wake it from further away.

And yet, even before this update, Walk-Up-Unlock could be turned off. I turned it off and that solved the problem. Now it only unlocks when I want it to by operating the handle. Now I want a positive way to lock it without having to pull out the card key, because if I just get out and walk away it does not lock until I am out of sight of it, by which time someone could have walked up and opened the door.

Suggestion: Tapping the handle twice in succession when all the doors are closed should lock the doors.

How about that! You're right. There's an oval on the passenger-side pillar, but it doesn't respond to the card. With the phone key either door can be opened, so I imagined that oval on the pillar had a sensor as well.
Those are cameras, not the NFC sensor.

Suggestion: Tapping the handle twice in succession when all the doors are closed should lock the doors.
It's a Model 3, not a Model S - which the door handles operate differently.

Reactions: outdoors
48E5F10E-1E61-419C-8BAA-96048ACEC444.png
My car interior was 145 degrees sitting outside at work yesterday in Florida. Summer is here!! New update has great power saving. I think I lost 1mi over 10 hours or so. Once they get around fixing whatever was wrong with 10.5 you should be set!
Yeah the 3 finally goes to sleep on 10.5
Although it’s a permanent setting, unlike S/X where you can toggle "power saving" mode.on.or off

• Informative
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
I'm not sure if this features added through recent update 2018.10.5:

You can close all popup window (e.g Settings, Rear camera, Fans, Phone dial, full screen music...) by simple touch the left side area (where your car is rendered), it's easier than click their icons individually.

Plus they finally fixed my vampire drain issue after 3 months, 12 hours idle only cost less than 1 mile.

Great news! Let's hear about it, please, once you've had a chance to play with it.
I think the also fixed the bug where we you can now unlock the charge port just by walking up to it without having to also open a door

The speed and follow distance on the wheel is a game changer.

The quick scroll up or down to +-5mph needs some work. I can’t seem to master it yet.

Attachments

• D5FE4439-9939-4B56-93ED-0898DA53C0D4.jpeg
    D5FE4439-9939-4B56-93ED-0898DA53C0D4.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: scottf200
I think the also fixed the bug where we you can now unlock the charge port just by walking up to it without having to also open a door

False alarm. Charge port didn’t unlock when I just walked up

On 2018.10.5 if I try to unplug the car when I do not have the phone with me it does not release. But if I have the phone with me I can unplug it. I do not need to touch the door at all. Phone is an iPhone SE running iOS 10. I never upgraded to iOS 11 because of all the reported issues. I never force-close the Tesla app so I guess it's always running in the background, but it's never in the forefront and the phone screen is locked.

Don't know if this makes a difference: I have to walk past the car, close to it, to get to the back of the car where it plugs in. So the phone comes close to wherever the sensors are.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

The speed and follow distance on the wheel is a game changer.

The quick scroll up or down to +-5mph needs some work. I can’t seem to master it yet.
I feel like the wait for firmware updates is almost as bad as the wait for the car itself. Did the SC update it or did you actually get it OTA?

Yeah, this is the first car I've ever had where the anxious waiting does not end when you get the car!

I echo the same feeling, but then I imagine a world where I had my BMW and there were no OTA updates, what you got is what you will have until you get a new car. Luckily, according to Elon's twitter, they're going to add a button to allow us to request the latest firmware updates. Not really sure how well that's going to work given the kind of stress it may put on the servers.

I echo the same feeling, but then I imagine a world where I had my BMW and there were no OTA updates, what you got is what you will have until you get a new car. Luckily, according to Elon's twitter, they're going to add a button to allow us to request the latest firmware updates. Not really sure how well that's going to work given the kind of stress it may put on the servers.

"Request" is not quite the same as "get." Presumably, a request will not strain the servers, and they will still serve them out at a rate the servers can handle. But some folks will want the update right away and others will prefer to wait and make sure there are no bugs. This will be better than just sending them out by purchase-date priority.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200