Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the auto wiper feature is considered "beta" but wondered how well its working for everyone? For me about a third of the time I have to do a manual swipe since the wipers don't ever start. In general I also find the wipers don't wipe frequently enough when they do start up correctly. I imagine over time this behavior will be fixed but until then I probably intervene half the time. On 2018.12.1. They worked better on 2018.10.5.

Just don't do what I did and go into a touchless car wash and forget to disable the wipers. As soon as the soap and water was sprayed on the windshield the wipers started up and wiped off the soap! Just took a few seconds to figure out what to do but it in the meantime it was embarrassing.
My wipers are pretty spazzy, especially at low speeds. :-/

I got the latest software update last night, b39b759, the only change from the prior version (as far as I can tell) is the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel controls the cruise control speed (when scrolling) and follow distance to the car ahead of you (when clicking the wheel left or right).

Got 12.1 earlier this afternoon. I was bummed to find out that the right scroll wheel can control follow distance when AP/TACC is not engaged, but it can not control speed. That only works when it’s actually engaged. Am I missing something?
I thought left right controlled follow distance while up down controlled speed. Should you be able to change the speed if TACC or AP are off?

Just got a notification to install an update on my 3. Will report back when it installs and I know what version it was.

EDIT: It was 2018.12.1

Haven't got in to check it out yet. Will do that in a little bit.
I thought left right controlled follow distance while up down controlled speed. Should you be able to change the speed if TACC or AP are off?
I think he means control the max speed preemptively before engaging AP. Maybe they think using the GPS speed limit plus your offset is sufficient? That’s my guess.

For 2018.12.1, I have observed the following changes:
  • TACC speed adjustment (right wheel up/down) and follow distance adjustment (right wheel left/right)
  • Mirror adjustment and wheel adjustment on left wheel
  • Slide "Navigation" button to right to go to Home. I hear that if you are home, slide to right will take you to Work.

• Informative
Reactions: BMWLover
I would like to be able to be. For instance, the 1-mile stretch leading into and out of my neighborhood is 30 MPH. For some reason, GPS data has it at 45. If I decide to engage TACC I'd like to be able to use the scroll wheel to move it down from 45 to 30 before engaging. Otherwise, I engage and try to move it down as fast as possible while it is accelerating up from 30 to 45. It's jarring for my family.

I would like to be able to be. For instance, the 1-mile stretch leading into and out of my neighborhood is 30 MPH. For some reason, GPS data has it at 45. If I decide to engage TACC I'd like to be able to use the scroll wheel to move it down from 45 to 30 before engaging. Otherwise, I engage and try to move it down as fast as possible while it is accelerating up from 30 to 45. It's jarring for my family.

That isn't how it is supposed to work according to the manual. If you are driving and enable TACC the set speed is supposed to be the speed you are currently driving. If you are driving with TACC on and you push down once on the lever it is supposed to change the set speed to the speed limit plus your offset.

Given that enabling TACC sets the speed to your current speed allowing you to change it before turning it on would be pointless.

Cruising at the Speed Limit
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control makes it easy to cruise at the speed limit. You can cruise at the speed limit that is currently being determined by Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 79). To do so, move the gear lever fully down once then release. When you release, your cruising speed is set to the speed that is determined by Speed Assist, taking into consideration any offset you have specified. If you are already driving faster than the speed limit when you pull the lever, the set speed does not adjust to the speed limit—it adjusts to your current driving speed.

Note: When you adjust the cruising speed based on the speed limit, the set speed does not change when the speed limit changes. You must move the gear lever fully down once then release to cruise at the new speed limit. You can also manually adjust your cruising speed at any time (see Changing the Set Speed on page 64).

Note: Your set speed will use your current driving speed or the previous set speed (whichever is greater) when you move the gear lever fully down once then release.

Note: If Speed Assist is unable to determine a speed limit, your set speed does not change when you move the gear lever fully down once then release.

@MikeBur Which directly conflicts with the statement on engaging TACC at the beginning of the TACC section: "When driving at your desired speed, set the cruising speed by moving the gear lever fully down once then releasing."

I think the "Cruising at the Speed Limit" instructions only apply while TACC is already active.

@MikeBur Which directly conflicts with the statement on engaging TACC at the beginning of the TACC section: "When driving at your desired speed, set the cruising speed by moving the gear lever fully down once then releasing."

I think the "Cruising at the Speed Limit" instructions only apply while TACC is already active.
Yep, looks like it. Just quoting the latest manual. It has been wrong before, though that’s the way it’s stated to work...