Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 subwoofer install.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to hear. I have the Standard Range Plus version, which does NOT have an existing subwoofer and amp. Would my fresh subwoofer install be any different than yours considering I don't have a stock sub or amplifier and all of the associated wiring that comes with those stock items?

Once the amp frequency, level and punch settings were adjusted to my liking, the sound in the cabin went from great to simply amazing! You don't have to rattle the mirrors to fill out the missing low-end, though if you wanted to...you can! With the sub in an up-fire configuration in the lower trunk with the cover on it, makes for perfect placement for the entire cabin.

Also, I haven't had any electrical error messages on the control screen.

Great to hear. I have the Standard Range Plus version, which does NOT have an existing subwoofer and amp. Would my fresh subwoofer install be any different than yours considering I don't have a stock sub or amplifier and all of the associated wiring that comes with those stock items?
Yes, you'd have to find somewhere else to tap into the audio signal. The front door woofers are a prime candidate, but are probably missing some of the extreme low end. You could use an LC2i or other LOC/DSP to compensate.

Thanks for those detailed instructions. I had a 2 ohm 12 inch P3 Punch laying around and decided to install it in my Model 3. Initially I was a big fan of the Model 3's premium audio (LR AWD), but I soon started to notice it lacks low end bass (below 40hz). I am using the same amp as yours, the 500 watt mono amp. I did a similar install process to yours, the easy part of the install is tapping into the 12v power from under the seat and getting the high level inputs from the factory amp. The hard part was finding a remote turn on connection for the amp. Initially I read you can use the VCLeft from the center console, I attempted to do that but it is pretty difficult to get in there and tried to find another way. My alternative method (didnt work) was just to use the under seat 12v power connection. I had noticed that the vehicle turns off the power to this connection after a couple minutes. I thought great, I don't need to use the VCLeft from the center console. After installing the system, I noticed my amp didnt turn off. I guess the car is detecting usage so it wont go to sleep.

Good thing I found your advice on using a LOC with remote turn on. I just ordered that on Amazon and will be installing that. I had initially just used the high level input on the aftermarket Amp with the high level output from the factory Amp. Anyone else doing this install, just get a LOC with remote turn on, it will save you a lot of time.

Had a question on the wiring. In step 20, you mention you reconnected he factory sub? Are you running both the factory sub and the aftermarket sub? Also for the wiring, I am using purple (positive) and brown (negative), it works fine, but should I use one vs the other. I read somewhere the sub may be wired in series with other speakers, not sure if that is the case.

Everyone -
Just completed a sub-woofer upgrade installation to my 2 week old Model 3. Yes, the premium audio system is amazing, though certainly lacks enough low-end to satisfy the discerning ear. After reviewing videos and scouring the boards for ideas, I undertook the install which only lasted a couple of hours. That said, the install is fairly simple and you'll be amazed with the end result. Here are the steps:

Purchase the following items:
  1. Remove plastic trunk edge strip and the 3 connectors holding the trunk carpet in place. No need to remove the carpet section entirely as you'll be able to route the power wires (amp line & 12-volt for the LOC) easily underneath the carpet and up to the 12-volt connection under the rear seat on the right side of the vehicle. BTW - You'll need to remove the rear seat bottom as well. See the video on how to remove each of these item near the top of this thread.
  2. Once the power is routed, cut a small hole in the lower truck section of the carpet and pull the amp power line through as well as the amp ground and amp turn-on wire from the LOC, and finally, the RCA jack line.
  3. Prep the PAC LOC by installing butt connectors on the wires.
  4. On the LOC wire harness, you'll need to cut off 1 set of RCA jacks and strip the wires back about a 1/4".
  5. Locate the Model 3's sub-woofer and amp in the rear right corner (again, see the aforementioned video) and unplug the wire harness going into the sub-woofer box.
  6. Using the Posi Taps, install one on the green wire (pos) and one on the orange wire (neg).
  7. install the positive & negative speaker lines off of the LOC to the Posi Taps. This will carry you signal to the LOC.
  8. Connect the 12-volt line to the LOC.
  9. Splice on a couple feet of 18 gauge wire to the 12-volt turn-on on the LOC wire harness and run that line also through the lower trunk section with the other wires.
  10. In the rear, under the carpet section, grind off a 1"x1" section of the Model 3 metal to situate the ground for the amp & LOC. I used a Dremel tool with a grinder bit to perform this.
  11. Secure the ground lines with a self-tapping screw.
  12. Plug the RCA jacks from the amp, into the LOC.
  13. Situate the loaded sub-woofer enclosure into the lower trunk, as well as the amp. I installed my amp on top of the enclosure, as I had plenty of room.
  14. Finish wiring up the amp and re-install 2 of the clips to hold the carpet section to the body of the car.
  15. Check and double check your work, ensuring all connections are correct and secure.
  16. To make the final power connection; locate the 12-volt batter source (see video) and remove the red cap to provide access to the positive post.
  17. Using a ring connector, secure to the stripped end of the amp power cable & LOC 12-volt cable.
  18. Before installing on the positive power post, make sure that the interior lights are not on and that nothing is being displayed on the dash screen.
  19. Make the connection and secure with a properly sized nut.
  20. Back in the trunk, reconnect the Model 3 sub-woofer wire harness back into the OEM sub-woofer.
  21. Turn the LOC adjustment down all of the way.
  22. Adjust the amp controls to 12 o'clock.
  23. Play a song with some solid bass, as well as some quiet sections of the song and adjust the LOC until you have sound at the new sub-woofer.
  24. Adjust further until there's some distortion and then back off slightly until the distortion is gone.
  25. Make final adjustments on the Rockford Fosgate amp settings to your liking.
  26. Button up everything (rear seat bottom, carpet, etc.).
  27. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,100
I'm hoping that somebody like JL builds a sub for the Model 3. I had one in my old car that fit perfectly in a similar space like we have in the left rear of the trunk.
When I find some free time... I'm going to design and build a specific sub woofer enclosure for the lower truck. May even sell a few once perfected!

When I find some free time... I'm going to design and build a specific sub woofer enclosure for the lower truck. May even sell a few once perfected!

Is it possible to fit a slim sub somewhere inside the cabin? I would love to cover up the rear vent so road noise and things moving in the trunk doesn't echo into the cabin like it does now.

I dont have any pics of the wiring. Putting the trunk seal on was a pain in the butt so I dont want to rip it apart if I dont have to.

However here are pics of the subwoofer and the amp. Also where I hooked the positive for the amp under the back seat.

I believe you use pioneer shallow 10” woofer. How does it sound? Does it reproduce very low 20-40 hz well?

Also can LOC be hooked up to a pre-amp wire instead of after. I presume it will be a cleaner signal.

I believe you use pioneer shallow 10” woofer. How does it sound? Does it reproduce very low 20-40 hz well?

Also can LOC be hooked up to a pre-amp wire instead of after. I presume it will be a cleaner signal.

It sounds fine for me. I didnt want anything too crazy. I have not specifically measured what it sounds like at any specific frequencies.

We do not have usable pre amp signals. Its some sort of witchcraft the amp decodes and turns into speaker noises.

It sounds fine for me. I didnt want anything too crazy. I have not specifically measured what it sounds like at any specific frequencies.

We do not have usable pre amp signals. Its some sort of witchcraft the amp decodes and turns into speaker noises.

Thanks for the response. By the way if you use Spotify there is Audio Test Tones album by Audiolab. Could be an easy way to test it.

the stock subwoofer peaks at around 45hz, and rolls off pretty significantly below that point. By the time you get to 30-35hz, the signal is barely audible (but it is there). I used the LC2i to boost the low end, and it turned out pretty well. It's not perfect, because I hate using bass boost on principle, but it's the best we're gonna get (for now, at least).

the stock subwoofer peaks at around 45hz, and rolls off pretty significantly below that point. By the time you get to 30-35hz, the signal is barely audible (but it is there). I used the LC2i to boost the low end, and it turned out pretty well. It's not perfect, because I hate using bass boost on principle, but it's the best we're gonna get (for now, at least).

I wonder if connecting the stock sub to the new amp via LC2i would add missing 20-40hz?

Settings I’ve done to improve the bass. I have a 12" rockford P3 in a ported box connected to a rockford 500.1 mono amp.

I noticed it is best to set the bass to the lowest setting on the car. So set the bass to -8. If the bass is set higher, I noticed the extra low bass (20-35hz) is way too low compared to higher bass (40hz and up). I connected a multimeter to the LOC and did some testing. Best results are if you set your bass to -8 on the car for the flattest response. It is still not flat, but much better than if its higher.

Do not use the bass boost setting on the amp. My rockford fosgate calls it the Punch and boosts at 45hz, the signal from the Tesla is the highest here, so additional boost here does not help the flattness curve.

Disconnect the factory sub. Running two subwoofers in the trunk runs into the risk of canceling out bass if the subwoofers are not playing constructively. You could try to mess with the phase switch, but with an aftermarket 10" or 12", it is just not necessary to use the factory sub.

Set the gain on your amp properly. Since the bass setting on the vehicle will be -8, you may need to raise the gain to where the sub blends in nicely to the rest of system.

Reactions: flashflooder
I dont have any pics of the wiring. Putting the trunk seal on was a pain in the butt so I dont want to rip it apart if I dont have to.

However here are pics of the subwoofer and the amp. Also where I hooked the positive for the amp under the back seat.

I decided to go for this shallow sub Pioneer TS-SWX2502 10 inch Shallow-Mount Pre-Loaded Enclosure https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQTU3QC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CyMSCb0Z182BY but when I compare to your sub in the picture yours looks visually smaller than given product size on amazon of 8.4x18.5x14.4. I would hate getting it and realizing it doesnt fit. Does your have a custom made enclosure or the actual size of the sub box is smaller than whats given?

I decided to go for this shallow sub Pioneer TS-SWX2502 10 inch Shallow-Mount Pre-Loaded Enclosure https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQTU3QC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CyMSCb0Z182BY but when I compare to your sub in the picture yours looks visually smaller than given product size on amazon of 8.4x18.5x14.4. I would hate getting it and realizing it doesnt fit. Does your have a custom made enclosure or the actual size of the sub box is smaller than whats given?

The one you linked is the same exact one I have in my car and the same one in the picture. No custom enclosures here.

Thanks to everyone in this thread! I completed a full DIY install of an Alpine 300w RMS amp and a Pioneer shallow mount sealed 12" 4ohm sub this weekend! Happy to assist anyone in doing the same. If you're in the Los Angeles area, I'd be happy to meet up and help out if needed!

For those coming from an S, you can simply play a file of a frequency, starting at 20Hz and see how poor the 3 sounds at low frequency.

Good thread, I appreciate the ideas -- But doesnt sound like 100% resolved if it is safe to tape 12V under seat or not - Can anyone say it isnt what caused the error on screen with confidence? It sure seems safe place..

Lived in Charlotte for close to 30 years, great city. I'm curious as to what this LC2i device is you're talking about, and how I'd go about getting one installed? Just took delivery of my M3 2 weeks ago, and while the premium sound system sounds great, the sub in the trunk is barely even audible, looking for a quick way to boost it until I can figure out a more audiophile-oriented solution. Open the trunk, and it's fairly decent sounding when you stick your head in. Close the trunk, it may as well not even exist inside the cabin in the front seats. From what I've read about the device you mentioned, seems like it'll at least boost it enough to somewhat hear inside.