Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Supercharging Capable Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why wouldn't cluster of HPWC work for urban drivers?
That's what Tesla is doing in the US, but that also means Tesla has to avoid building a supercharger inside cities (or nearby where locals can easily use it). Sometimes this is just unavoidable in certain routes.

Also, the HPWC solution requires the owner to rent a parking space (they are mainly installed in parking garages, not on the street), which is easily $300 per month. Street parking on the other hand costs $111 per year with a permit in SF (and free in many large cities). That is an extra $3500 per year just for parking. I would rather pay for the electricity/maintenance cost for a stop at a supercharger station every week, than pay a large parking cost every month for a slow charger.

That's what Tesla is doing in the US, but that also means Tesla has to avoid building a supercharger inside cities (or nearby where locals can easily use it). Sometimes this is just unavoidable in certain routes.

Also, the HPWC solution requires the owner to rent a parking space (they are mainly installed in parking garages, not on the street), which is easily $300 per month. Street parking on the other hand costs $111 per year with a permit in SF (and free in many large cities). That is an extra $3500 per year just for parking. I would rather pay for the electricity/maintenance cost for a stop at a supercharger station every week, than pay a large parking cost every month for a slow charger.
Oh maybe I don't have the same appreciation for the problem. From my perspective, being in VA our superchargers are not that close. Maybe it would be different if I lived in Woodbridge.

Oh maybe I don't have the same appreciation for the problem. From my perspective, being in VA our superchargers are not that close. Maybe it would be different if I lived in Woodbridge.
Yeah, it's hard to understand unless you are in a high density city. Tesla had already done free superchargers in large cities, like Hong Kong, but they quickly become overwhelmed. And Tesla's current infrastructure funding method does not allow them to build too many urban supercharger station in one local area. If some of them are pay per use, that gives Tesla much more funding and flexibility (and the payment will limit local abuse naturally).

Again, to make it clear, my proposal is only for some locations to be pay per use, not all, unlike other proposals. So likely none of your local superchargers will be affected. The ones nearest to me in the San Francisco Bay Area will likely be affected however.

Since there will not likely be an answer for the local charging cases, I think the next biggest issue will be people not moving their car in a timely manner. I think this could be solved by the cars themselves. SC's could be small, controlled parking lots with borders where you would pull your car into a free "incoming" space. You would then go into the restaurant or wherever. When a charging bay becomes available, your car would be summoned to the open bay. Your car would drive itself to the open bay, and the snakebot charging "cord" would connect to your car and begin charging. When your car is charged, it would return to an "outgoing" space, and you would be notified of the space #. I think the incoming/outgoing space idea might help prevent potential accidents. But the idea might work just as well with just one pool of spaces with no regard to incoming/outgoing.

Your car would still be locked and secure the whole time, so there is not more risk of it being stolen than if it were sitting still the entire time. The cars would obviously be able to avoid anybody that wanders into their paths.

I think this would be an even better use of the "snakebot" than at home.

I know this sounds insane so let me have it. :p

I know I'm chiming in to an already long discussion without reading a lot of it, but I think Tesla pretty much have to give supercharging for free (or perhaps as a $2000 option like with the early S) because if it's going to have a cost associated with it then I'd probably cancel my reservation and buy a second hand 2 or 3 year old Model S which could use the Superchargers for free.

Sounds as if you're more interested in free charging than a specific vehicle, which I think places you in the minority.

Not at all... It's the model 3 that I want. As I've said in other places I want a car that size, but it's the supercharger network that makes Tesla the smart choice. I don't have off street parking or even a regular parking spot, so I'm going to rely on public charging and the Supercharger network is the backbone of that. Take that away and the competition look just as inviting in a lot of ways from my point of view.

So a choice between a 2 year old Model S with free Supercharging or a Model 3 where I have to pay per charge/per kw/h and the smart money is on the Model S. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be thinking that way.

Not at all... It's the model 3 that I want. As I've said in other places I want a car that size, but it's the supercharger network that makes Tesla the smart choice. I don't have off street parking or even a regular parking spot, so I'm going to rely on public charging and the Supercharger network is the backbone of that. Take that away and the competition look just as inviting in a lot of ways from my point of view.

So a choice between a 2 year old Model S with free Supercharging or a Model 3 where I have to pay per charge/per kw/h and the smart money is on the Model S. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be thinking that way.
Nothing you wrote disproves his point. You want free charging, it doesn't matter what vehicle you get to get said free charging. Most Nissan dealerships allow Leafs to charge for free.

Since there will not likely be an answer for the local charging cases, I think the next biggest issue will be people not moving their car in a timely manner. I think this could be solved by the cars themselves. SC's could be small, controlled parking lots with borders where you would pull your car into a free "incoming" space. I know this sounds insane so let me have it. :p

Sounds brilliant. Especially the part about sending you the space number. Can you imagine a busy station, trying to find your Tesla in a sea of other Teslas. Around me, they would all be black too.

Thank you kindly.

Nothing you wrote disproves his point. You want free charging, it doesn't matter what vehicle you get to get said free charging. Most Nissan dealerships allow Leafs to charge for free.

I thought... "It's the model 3 I want" kind of stated that I want a model 3. I don't dispute that I would like the free charging.
In the UK the Ecotricity network is free to use so if I were in the EV market purely for free fuel I could've jumped on that bandwagon long ago.

My original point however was that free use of Superchargers is what sets Tesla apart from the other manufactures as I imagine most will be there or there about in terms of range by then when looking at it as a car. The gadgets and tech are cool, but only a nice addition in terms of transport. I think putting a price per charge or per kw/h would be unwise.

4/1 Supercharging (Long Distance travel) > 4/3 Supercharging Capable > 4/15 Supercharging
This tells me supercharging is going to be standard !........
image1.JPG

I think we always knew the hardware would be included it's not clear still if that means the car can use the superchargers for free with without any options added? Here's hoping but I am planning on it being a paid option to fully use and I think it helps the entire TM family if the Model 3 owners chip in as well.

I would be cool with a charge per KWH system for Tesla SuperChargers, if Tesla decided on that. I will be paying per KWH at home. Currently I pay per Gallon on my I.C.E. vehicle.

Yes, that, and an additional $ per minute (past a certain maximum time or charge) to make sure people remove their vehicles from the charging station on time. Since it takes a while to charge, people tend to wander off (lunch, shopping, etc.) leaving the car there.

The problem with this scheme is that in most states "selling" energy (or units of energy ie $/kwh) is a function reserved only for power companies. The way to get around this is to charge for "parking", ie you charge for how long the vehicle is parked in that space but NOT for the free energy they consume while parked there. This is how a lot of the (non-Tesla) charging infrastructure has been developed due to these laws.

They can't go from offering supercharging for free to turning it into a moneymaker. If it isn't free the charging cost should be whatever the going rate for electricity is and they can tack $1000 to the cost of all model 3s for the expansion of the Supercharger network. They could also charge a reasonable rate for parking at the supercharger after your charge is complete. This charge should be greater in areas that often have long waits for charging.