Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Teardown - What's under the Frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jack it up baby! It's for being in the middle of nowhere with either no tows or an excessive amount of time before someone can get there. A tire patch kit and a small compressor are still fine most of the time, but sometimes you get flats you can't patch in places where help is hard to come by.

Maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but is anyone else disappointed that the cavernous volume reserved for the front motor on the AWD is NOT available as frunk for RWD?

No. Minimizes differences between the AWD and RWD versions which keeps costs down Why have to make design changes and have a least some differences in parts for the extra space you would gain? Just adds complexity and I also wouldn't classify it as "cavernous" volume.

Reactions: e-FTW and Zythryn
The original big motor drive units haven't had the best service history (though apparently a lot of the replacements were for noises rather than outright failure, and Tesla eventually discovered the noises were actually external to the DU itself.)

I haven't really read of replacements of the second generation units (in the dual motor non-Performance cars and the front of Performance cars.)
I don't want to go too far OT but I'm not sure what you mean by "second generation units". The replacements of DUs for noise on the S seem to have mostly died down but there are definitely still replacements for complete failure (loss of propulsion). I posted a few examples of DUs that from the last 2 years or so at First Model 3 motor failure reported.

If we want to discuss Model S or X DU replacements or failures, we should probably take it to another thread.

I don't want to go too far OT but I'm not sure what you mean by "second generation units". The replacements of DUs for noise on the S seem to have mostly died down but there are definitely still replacements for complete failure (loss of propulsion). I posted a few examples of DUs that from the last 2 years or so at First Model 3 motor failure reported.

If we want to discuss Model S or X DU replacements or failures, we should probably take it to another thread.

The dual motor cars all use a different, smaller drive motor assembly that Tesla presumably designed using feedback from the fleet performance of the Model S with the big motor.

That's why I was calling them second generation - the real point is that the motors they're building now don't have any real failure history that I've read.

There will be lots of wrecked model 3’s. If it’s a true mass market car, Just swap in the new motor and other parts.
The hardest thing would be getting the software to recognize the new motor.
Give the gear heads a couple of years and you will see rodded M3’s everywhere.

This thread has got me thinking.. What sort of undertaking it would be to just make a larger frunk tub to drop in? The 3’s frunk is comically small, but if there’s as much extra space as I think there is (at least enough for a carry on) it could be a great aftermarket option.

Reactions: flashflooder
This thread has got me thinking.. What sort of undertaking it would be to just make a larger frunk tub to drop in? The 3’s frunk is comically small, but if there’s as much extra space as I think there is (at least enough for a carry on) it could be a great aftermarket option.

From what I saw in the video, I'm thinking it's not practical because of the geometry. The extra space for the front motor isn't directly below the existing Frunk - it's behind and below, with the radiator and twelve volt creating a pinch point in between.

Very interesting if his motor type assertion is correct. The switched reluctance motor principle among others promises simplicity, efficiency and cooling advantages compared to some of the more common motor technologies.

A little bit of doubt though. Both of the two recent dyno measurements of the Model 3 shows a steady and near linear drop of power, from max power, as rpm increases. This is similar to the Model S/X motors, and to any electric motor that experiences a counter electromotive force.

I believed that one of the benefits of a switched reluctance motor, was that the solid or laminated iron rotor does not make a counter emf (back emf) when spinning, and that the power output from max power rpm towards max rpm thus should be nearly constant.

The power drop could nevertheless have other reasons, so I am looking forward to more information.

Hey @Ingineer here's a question: based on what you see (or measure), do you reckon the dual-motor will use two of this same motor?
Or do you see extra room for a larger motor in the back than what is there right now (for a performance version)?
Or is the room up front not enough to fit the same size motor as what is in the back right now?