Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tearing it Up at the Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm building a Model 3 race car. Full build. Stripped down, roll cage, wing, etc... no holds barred. And I'm taking it into real competition.

My passion is motorsport. I've been racing competitively for eight years and as soon as I drove a Tesla I knew the future would be electric. The general public doesn't realize it yet, but the war is already won. Just a matter of time before everything converts. And personally, I can't wait for that future.

Sure there's Formula E and Electric GT (if it ever gets off the ground). But what's really missing right now is the grassroots racing scene. For every professional race team there are thousands of people who want to take their street cars to the track and see what they can do.

Anyway, I've seen a bunch of videos and posts about taking these cars to HPDE events. But I've never really seen one driven in anger against solid competition. So here's a short video of it in action.

(Hint, watch to the end for a bonus lesson on why EVs are the future!)

Where is Zerosport? Do they have a website? How do we get in contact with them?
Thanks Bill

Wow! That is the FINEST Model 3 info video I've ever seen. He will be a rising star. With videos that good and that informative, I'm surprised he only has a few subscribers!

He’s actually an established Youtuber whose original channel, for gun-related videos, has 422k subscribers!

He created a second channel recently for Tesla/Tech stuff.

Also been tracking for many years and have a dedicated Porsche for the work, but it sure would be fun to get the M3P out. To do it right will take similar to what you’ve done (brakes, safety, weight-loss, tire, and alignment).

Maybe toss a Tesla Powerwall in the trailer for a quick charge!
Congrats and keep us posted with your progress. Any plans for aero mods?

So are you using a 14-50? Or something else?

We used 14-50 that day.

Congrats and keep us posted with your progress. Any plans for aero mods?

Lots of plans for aero! That's going to play a large role in the performance of this car. Which is part of the reason why we're so excited - if it can hit these kinds of targets now, the car will really be something with a full aero package.

Maybe toss a Tesla Powerwall in the trailer for a quick charge!

Is that actually a thing? I'm curious if one could get supercharger level charging (or somewhere in the realm of it atleast) in a mobile trailer form. Someone seriously needs to make something like this because I bet they could stand to make some money especially as tracking these cars starts to take off.

To the OP - Have you done any drag strip runs yet? Would be nice to see your times with all the weight loss so far. I'm sure there's more savings ahead with rotors and other components like MPP makes such as the lightweight lithium 12V battery. You should keep an updated list of your mods in the original post as well for good reference on this awesome project.

The car has upgraded pads, front rotors, and a couple other parts to help with alignment. But I won't drop names on anything unless I feel comfortable endorsing it for serious track / racing use, and I can't say I have that level of confidence in what's been tested so far.
Without promoting, can you at least list the available aftermarket M3P front pads you've found (and considered)?

Reactions: bhzmark
I'm only aware of the following options on the market today:

Mountain Pass Performance - Page Mill Street (non-P3D+ front only)
Mountain Pass Performance - Page Mill Track (non-P3D+ front only)
Racing Brake - XT910
Racing Brake - XT970 (non-P3D+ front and rear; P3D+ front only)
Unplugged Performance - Street & Track Pad Set
Unplugged Performance - Competition Pad Set

Last edited:
I'm only aware of the following options on the market today:

Mountain Pass Performance - Page Mill Street (non-P3D+ front only)
Mountain Pass Performance - Page Mill Track (non-P3D+ front only)
Racing Brake - XT910
Racing Brake - XT970 (non-P3D+ front and rear; P3D+ front only)
Unplugged Performance - Street & Track Pad Set
Unplugged Performance - Competition Pad Set

Racing Brake released XT970 for P3D+ rear (red caliper).

Reactions: destructure00
Congrats on the sub 3 second Dragy tested 0-60 ZeroSport! First I've seen of such on a model 3. And that's with an upward slope.

Zerosport on Instagram: “Fastest Tesla Model 3? 0-60 in 2.96s. Technically 2.74s with a 1-foot rollout (how most magazines test). Yeesh she’s quick! #tesla…”

sub3sec3.png

Probably time for @Zerosport to update us on how many hundreds of more pounds he’s removed from the car! I think it was 200-300 last count which would already help a lot. I assume the roll cage is not added yet.