Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how much this car weighs? Reportedly slightly less than 4,100 lbs, no? Has anybody weighed one? At any rate, for that approximate weight 42 lbs cold seems like a lot to me, so I won't go any higher. The car that the M3 LR replaced has identical tires (235/45/18 MXM4s), weighs 3,700 lbs, and requires 32 psi, and tires wore evenly. I doubt they need that much pressure, but it's probably to minimize rolling resistance.

Reactions: Biggus and israndy
So how much this car weighs? Reportedly slightly less than 4,100 lbs, no? Has anybody weighed one? At any rate, for that approximate weight 42 lbs cold seems like a lot to me, so I won't go any higher. The car that the M3 LR replaced has identical tires (235/45/18 MXM4s), weighs 3,700 lbs, and requires 32 psi, and tires wore evenly. I doubt they need that much pressure, but it's probably to minimize rolling resistance.

It's to bring up the efficiency. The car needs the higher tire pressures to get the rated range. I normally run about 42 psi, but increase to 45 psi for road trips to bring the range up even more.

You can now reset TPMS tire pressure so you can run lower pressure. I would not though. I don't want to risk wheel damage and cut sidewalls.
I've said here before that my F150 lists recommended tire pressures as 55 front and 60 rear. The tires max pressure is 80. So be sure to pay attention to the mfr's recommended pressure unless you are a tire engineer.

family complaining Model 3 ride too firm at 42 psi - the roads are all warped in the california sun so that's teh root problem. gonna try elon's suggested 39-40 PSI to see if it helps ride quality. Has anyone done the 39 PSI and how has it impacted range and tires?

I run mine at least as high as 44 psi. because I like the firm ride and better steering response. I also get more corner grip at 44 psi vs. 39 psi. At 39 psi, on dry pavement, the sidewalls start to tuck under as the tire approaches it's traction limit. This makes the initiation of a slide more sudden and less predictable.

You will have less range and less tire life at 39 psi. Also, as pressure is reduced the odds of a puncture or blowout are increased because lower pressures build more heat. Even though it might seem counter-intuitive, a softer tire is more likely to be punctured.

family complaining Model 3 ride too firm at 42 psi - the roads are all warped in the california sun so that's teh root problem. gonna try elon's suggested 39-40 PSI to see if it helps ride quality. Has anyone done the 39 PSI and how has it impacted range and tires?
I have mine set at 39psi and my efficiency is fine. 245Wh/mile lifetime. In summer temps, ABRP calibrates my efficiency at 65mph as 235Wh/mile.
IMG_6435.jpeg

I challenge anyone to feel a difference in ride quality between 39 and 42 psi.

I can tell the difference between 2 psi. 42 psi is where I feel the cornering performance of the tire start to fall off the cliff. And remember, these are not the pressures your TPMS display reads, they are cold PSI measured first thing in the morning before the car has been driven.

Reactions: outdoors
If you have light 18" wheels, it will definitely ride better. I run about 46 in mine. But it is a Performance.

Absolutely! I should clarify, I only have experience with the Model 3 running the 18" wheels and the OEM Michelin MXM4's. I have no idea how the Pilot Sports behave or other wheel sizes. I do know the vast majority of the North American continent runs pressures that are a bit lower than optimum, on average.

It's best to err on the side of a little too much than a little too little. Unless your bum is super tender. ;)

I can tell the difference between 2 psi. 42 psi is where I feel the cornering performance of the tire start to fall off the cliff. And remember, these are not the pressures your TPMS display reads, they are cold PSI measured first thing in the morning before the car has been driven.
I'm talking about ride quality. You won't feel the difference in a straight line on a given road, even a bad one.

I have mine set at 39psi and my efficiency is fine. 245Wh/mile lifetime. In summer temps, ABRP calibrates my efficiency at 65mph as 235Wh/mile.
View attachment 648875

39 PSI will not have a large impact on efficiency vs. 42 psi. In fact, Aero wheels vs. non-aero wheels will be a larger difference. But that's not to say there is not a measurable difference in efficiency between 39 PSI and 42 PSI. That said, driving style and speed are the two biggest determinates of what your efficiency will be for a given road and weather conditions, not a 3 psi difference in tire pressure.

You obviously have a nice steady throttle foot. This doesn't necessarily mean you don't punch it sometimes, it means you don't constantly vary between light acceleration and light regen braking. Some people can't seem to stay off the regen (they don't even know they are doing it) when cruising open roads and repetitive regen will kill range to a surprising degree.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I'm talking about ride quality. You won't feel the difference in a straight line on a given road, even a bad one.

In general, I might sort of agree. But if the runs are done one after another, yes, it's not that difficult for me to feel the difference in ride quality from a 2 psi difference in all 4 tires.

The reason I mentioned cornering is because that's the first negative impact I notice when the pressure drops 2 psi. And the problem goes away when I add 2 psi.

39 PSI will not have a large impact on efficiency vs. 42 psi. In fact, Aero wheels vs. non-aero wheels will be a larger difference. But that's not to say there is not a measurable difference in efficiency between 39 PSI and 42 PSI. That said, driving style and speed are the two biggest determinates of what your efficiency will be for a given road and weather conditions, not a 3 psi difference in tire pressure.

You obviously have a nice steady throttle foot. This doesn't necessarily mean you don't punch it sometimes, it means you don't constantly vary between light acceleration and light regen braking. Some people can't seem to stay off the regen (they don't even know they are doing it) when cruising open roads and repetitive regen will kill range to a surprising degree.
I often have to drive my 92yr old mom to her doctor appts, etc., and smoothness is very important. So, I've been trained...

My label says 42 PSI. I can't find anywhere if I should increase it if I travel wir a lot of luggage. Any suggestions?

cars post 2019 say 42 psi i think rather than 45. its up to you really. Tires are rated up to 50psi warm i think. if you live in denmark i would just pump it up to 45psi all the time. roads are much better in europe compared to the usa/australia. i have mine on 46-47psi usually though because i need the range.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy