Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3P on order and have a question on tires.
Why do most M3P swap out their tires for smaller ones?

While I understand some are doing the swap to adapt for winters, curious if others are doing it due to any issues they are seeing with driving with the large rims and/or stock tire quality.

I have a M3P on order and have a question on tires.
Why do most M3P swap out their tires for smaller ones?

While I understand some are doing the swap to adapt for winters, curious if others are doing it due to any issues they are seeing with driving with the large rims and/or stock tire quality.
There's so many potholes where I live and I occasionally hit big ones even when I constantly try to avoid them - people say the short sidewall provides less cushioning from the impact which can lead to damaged wheels/tires. I used to live in San Diego though and I'd definitely keep the sweet Uberturbines if I lived there! Don't know if I ever hit a pothole in SD since the roads aren't as battered by cold weather/snow etc 🤗

Other things people bring up are lower unsprung mass, which helps with performance and range (less mass/inertia to accelerate/brake). I've even read about getting better ride quality and less noise!

I'm in the process of switching from 20" Uberturbines to 19" Martian MW03 wheels and I've been thinking of what tires I should get for them. I wanted to switch to the MW03s because of the lower unsprung mass + increased sidewall for pothole protection with the 19" rims. I go to the track 1-2 times a year but also drive around long distance to visit relatives etc, so both track performance and range/noise is important for me! (and I'm hoping to not have to keep an extra set of track tires)

My current tire shortlist:
Stock 235/35/20 tire diameter: 26.5", 673 mm

235/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Tesla Version, Acoustic Foam): $250 per tire
Cheap! But would have to switch to 18" rims which might look less cool. 18" rims are also cheaper and lighter than 19" ones though...
Tire diameter: 26.3", 668 mm
Extra sidewall vs stock: 31.3% (1", 26 mm)

255/40/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Volvo Version, Acoustic Foam): $350 per tire
Expensive... but there's the acoustic foam and it's for a 19" wheel!
Tire diameter: 27", 686 mm
Extra sidewall vs stock: 25% (0.8", 21 mm)

245/40/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (No Acoustic Foam): $300 per tire
Middle ground for price. PS4S = better track performance but noisier than the PS4 AND it has no acoustic foam, also has more rolling resistance so range might be impacted.
Tire diameter: 26.7", 678 mm
Extra sidewall vs stock: 21.9% (0.7", 19 mm)

255/35/20 Pirelli P ZERO (PZ4) (Volvo Version, Acoustic Foam): $290 per tire
If I stuck with the 20" uberturbines these might be an option, the tire diameter would still be acceptable and there would be more sidewall than the current 235/35/20 stock tires.
Extra sidewall vs stock: +9.4% (0.3", 8 mm)

tbh other than aesthetics it's looking like 18" MW03 wheels with the Michelin PS4s are the best option in terms of both price and performance. But what if they don't look as cool as the 20" Uberturbines 💀💀💀💀

If the the 27" tire diameter options might need spacers I might be a bit nervous about the fit being a bit tight... I've never added spacers etc to the wheel before @Gimmethecash ! That would leave the 245/40/19 PS4S, but then I have road noise concerns.
As you mentioned in your latest post it is all trade-offs even among this list. You're going to get significantly better traction obviously with the 255 tires, but you're going to lose significant range. And as you mention in going to a smaller diameter wheel, it's all trading aesthetics for reduced mass, impact vulnerability, and ride. Car for sure looks way better with 20in wheels and 30 or 35 series tires . Also people sometimes don't appreciate this but if they want to max out their benefits they've got to spring for forged wheels. Expensive. And another trade off. This time of reduced mass for money :) You will probably get slightly sharper steering transients with the lower profile options. If you're going to track the car you're probably going to want the 255/ 35 or the 255 / 40 in the 19 inch size but if you track the car you must get more negative camber on the front or you'll be replacing your tires very quickly with chewed up outer edges. And most would argue that the PS4s are a better handling tire than the P Zeros but neither are really great track tires. Don't know if somebody has tracked the car with a 27 inch rolling diameter wheel tire assembly. High speed might be a little dicey with the reduced clearance on that front steering knuckle and some degree of rolling diameter expansion over a hundred miles an hour but like I said I don't know if somebody's done that. I think @beastmode13 did something similar to that so you can reach out and p.m. him.

• Love
Reactions: play150
There's so many potholes where I live and I occasionally hit big ones even when I constantly try to avoid them - people say the short sidewall provides less cushioning from the impact which can lead to damaged wheels/tires. I used to live in San Diego though and I'd definitely keep the sweet Uberturbines if I lived there! Don't know if I ever hit a pothole in SD since the roads aren't as battered by cold weather/snow etc 🤗

Other things people bring up are lower unsprung mass, which helps with performance and range (less mass/inertia to accelerate/brake). I've even read about getting better ride quality and less noise!
Thank you. Very helpful !

I'm in the process of switching from 20" Uberturbines to 19" Martian MW03 wheels and I've been thinking of what tires I should get for them. I wanted to switch to the MW03s because of the lower unsprung mass + increased sidewall for pothole protection with the 19" rims. I go to the track 1-2 times a year but also drive around long distance to visit relatives etc, so both track performance and range/noise is important for me! (and I'm hoping to not have to keep an extra set of track tires)

My current tire shortlist:
Stock 235/35/20 tire diameter: 26.5", 673 mm

235/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Tesla Version, Acoustic Foam): $250 per tire
Cheap! But would have to switch to 18" rims which might look less cool. 18" rims are also cheaper and lighter than 19" ones though...
Tire diameter: 26.3", 668 mm
Extra sidewall vs stock: 31.3% (1", 26 mm)

255/40/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Volvo Version, Acoustic Foam): $350 per tire
Expensive... but there's the acoustic foam and it's for a 19" wheel!
Extra sidewall vs stock: 25% (0.8", 21 mm)

245/40/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (No Acoustic Foam): $300 per tire
Middle ground for price. PS4S = better track performance but noisier than the PS4 AND it has no acoustic foam, also has more rolling resistance so range might be impacted.
Tire diameter: 26.7", 678 mm
Extra sidewall vs stock: 21.9% (0.7", 19 mm)

255/35/20 Pirelli P ZERO (PZ4) (Volvo Version, Acoustic Foam): $290 per tire
If I stuck with the 20" uberturbines these might be an option, the tire diameter would still be acceptable and there would be more sidewall than the current 235/35/20 stock tires.
Extra sidewall vs stock: +9.4% (0.3", 8 mm)

tbh other than aesthetics it's looking like 18" MW03 wheels with the Michelin PS4s are the best option in terms of both price and performance. But what if they don't look as cool as the 20" Uberturbines 💀💀💀💀

If the the 27" tire diameter options might need spacers I might be a bit nervous about the fit being a bit tight... I've never added spacers etc to the wheel before @Gimmethecash ! That would leave the 245/40/19 PS4S, but then I have road noise concerns.
In my overly long response I forgot to mention another option that you should consider. If you want to keep the 20 inch wheels, you can actually get great performance from a 265/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. This is non-tesla spec with no acoustic foam however. While the very small reduction in sidewall height relative to the stock tire might seem to expose you to more impact vulnerability, the extra tread with actually helps protect the wheel. I've hit some pretty nasty potholes with mine and there's been no deformation of the wheel(which admittedly is forged monoblock design.

I have those combined with Tesla Spec 275/30s at the rear for a slightly staggered look. But you could go squared and they will clear that front steering knuckle. Unfortunately the Tesla spec 275/30 will not unless you use an awful lot of reduced offset. And then they won't clear the fender Wells unless you use a fair amount of negative camber. So the 275/30 at the front is probably not an option for the street. And of course you take a serious range hit with those but I believe the 275/30 s are only costing me about five to eight watt-hours a mile relative to the stock PS4s.

Attachments

• 20201123_113258.jpg
    20201123_113258.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 96
I disagree that 20 looks objectively better. It's some quantity of people who believe more is always better, but I don't even think it's a majority. A lot depends on design and color of the rim.

275 35 19 with 19x9.5 et30 looks the best for me, but those are not ideal for track - still not enough tire cooling surface area and not enough sidewall. It comes with a range hit, though which includes spoiled aero profile.

Without hacking of fenders, 295 35 18 on 18x10.5 is ideal setup for the track - target pressure for load matches ideal pressure for rubber. It's still not wide enough for consistent cooling, but significantly better than stock and coming close to limits of other parts in the car.

20 inch is a nightmare of disposable rims. Stock 20 inch is also uncomfortable on any real road.

In my overly long response I forgot to mention another option that you should consider. If you want to keep the 20 inch wheels, you can actually get great performance from a 265/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. This is non-tesla spec with no acoustic foam however. While the very small
reduction in sidewall height relative to the stock tire might seem to expose you to more impact vulnerability, the extra tread with actually helps protect the wheel. I've hit some pretty nasty potholes with mine and there's been no deformation of the wheel(which admittedly is forged monoblock design.

I have those combined with Tesla Spec 275/30s at the rear for a slightly staggered look. But you could go squared and they will clear that front steering knuckle. Unfortunately the Tesla spec 275/30 will not unless you use an awful lot of reduced offset. And then they won't clear the fender Wells unless you use a fair amount of negative camber. So the 275/30 at the front is probably not an option for the street. And of course you take a serious range hit with those but I believe the 275/30 s are only costing me about five to eight watt-hours a mile relative to the stock PS4s.
Ooh looking nice, I always feel like I'd for sure go with silver wheels if the car came with the chrome window trim. And I see! That's interesting to think about 🤔

I disagree that 20 looks objectively better. It's some quantity of people who believe more is always better, but I don't even think it's a majority. A lot depends on design and color of the rim.

275 35 19 with 19x9.5 et30 looks the best for me, but those are not ideal for track - still not enough tire cooling surface area and not enough sidewall. It comes with a range hit, though which includes spoiled aero profile.

Without hacking of fenders, 295 35 18 on 18x10.5 is ideal setup for the track - target pressure for load matches ideal pressure for rubber. It's still not wide enough for consistent cooling, but significantly better than stock and coming close to limits of other parts in the car.

20 inch is a nightmare of disposable rims. Stock 20 inch is also uncomfortable on any real road.
I think I'm mainly enamoured by the uberturbines 😍
But then again when I see the 18" wheels on Engineering Explained's M3P I feel like it looks a bit meh aesthetically... But maybe it's just the specific T Sportline wheel that was put on :0

Quick question, i use my model 3 dual motor 2021 model for my drivingschool, so kerbs are my biggest enemy. The stock aerowheels are 8.5J with 235s are super easy to damage. Now ive got the idea to get 8J wide rims(same offset as the aero)with 245 wide tires to give it a little more "cushion"... Dont wanna go to wide with the tires because i do 40k miles(60k kilometers) per year with the car, its my tool.

Any opinions if this is a good idea, or people having other thoughts let me know.

Quick question, i use my model 3 dual motor 2021 model for my drivingschool, so kerbs are my biggest enemy. The stock aerowheels are 8.5J with 235s are super easy to damage. Now ive got the idea to get 8J wide rims(same offset as the aero)with 245 wide tires to give it a little more "cushion"... Dont wanna go to wide with the tires because i do 40k miles(60k kilometers) per year with the car, its my tool.

Any opinions if this is a good idea, or people having other thoughts let me know.

If your commute includes average driving speeds over 45mph, it may be worth considering 245/45 size tires too. You'll increase the tire diameter size, and in turn, the gear ratio, which supposedly helps increase range for higher speeds. This is a benefit for you two-fold: you can keep the stock wheels AND you get better curb rash protection.

Otherwise, if you want to stick with 235s, then going with 8J wide wheels make sense to achieve better tire protection.

Date in the US and whether will be available to consumers as opposed to OEMs only

if not in our immediate future what would you guys suggest for a tire that maintains the same range as the MXM4, I have done about 2622w/m over life of the car put has better winter ( snow I live in northern New England handling and is all season tires . We have great snow removal so winter tires not really necessary up here.
I've just purchased the Nokian WR G4 which according to Nokia as All-Weather EV friendly low rolling resistance with 3PMS

Reactions: Sergelimo

I remember watching a tyrereviews.com video where they gave different tires a rim protection rating, so maybe the specific tire you buy could also influence things!

Hello everyone, thank you all for the info on this thread.

I have a 2021 Performance Model 3, with 20" tires. I do rideshare on the side, and have already had to replace a wheel (Bent due to pothole), and tire (Hit small object on highway) after a few months of ownership. Pretty much have anxiety driving this thing now, with eyes glued to the actual road at all times looking out for obstacles.

Want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly here:

Swapping wheels out to 18" or 19", should allow for more durability. Would 18" be better?
Dropping to a smaller wheels size will add some road noise, correct? If so, is it mild, or ridiculously obvious?
Smaller wheel size will decrease range estimates? If so, what percentage, give or take?
Performance will certainly decrease. 0-60 time will go from 3.2 seconds to...?

I was seriously considering selling the vehicle altogether, due to the frustrations with the wheels/tires. This thread has given me some hope, that I might be able to find an alternative.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: play150

I have a 2021 Performance Model 3, with 20" tires. I do rideshare on the side, and have already had to replace a wheel (Bent due to pothole), and tire (Hit small object on highway) after a few months of ownership. Pretty much have anxiety driving this thing now, with eyes glued to the actual road at all times looking out for obstacles.

Swapping wheels out to 18" or 19", should allow for more durability. Would 18" be better?
Dropping to a smaller wheels size will add some road noise, correct? If so, is it mild, or ridiculously obvious?
Smaller wheel size will decrease range estimates? If so, what percentage, give or take?

I was seriously considering selling the vehicle altogether, due to the frustrations with the wheels/tires. This thread has given me some hope, that I might be able to find an alternative.

Maybe 18" rims with tesla 235 45 18 tires would work well for you? 30+% extra sidewall to cushion blows and the tesla tires would have the acoustic foam (assuming that helps). And I guess the 18" would be better in your case to maximize sidewall thickness.

I think the tesla 18" tires are the Michellin Primacy MXM for all seasons and the Pilot Sport 4s for summers (not 4S). Not sure about winter tires!

I hear the Michellin Cross climate 2s are great all season tires if you want not switch between summer and winter tires, but I dunno about the noise

Regarding performance, 18" wheels would have less metal i.e less weight, which would improve performance/acceleration with the lowered unsprung mass AFAIK.

For the range estimates, you'd just have to change your wheel settings in the car for or to do the calculations correctly (assuming you use one of the stock wheel configs)

Taller sidewalls will provide some wheel durability by putting more rubber between the wheel and objects on the road (won’t protect tires though). 18” will provide more sidewall at the same tire diameter than 19”, which will provide more than 20”.
A smaller wheel size should not increase noise.
Range estimates are voodoo guessing; keep track of how far you actually get for a given amount of battery drain percentage, do simple math to get closer to actual.
Whether various performance factors decrease or increase will depend on several variables, including the width, weight, and rolling resistance of the tires, along with the width, weight, diameter, and design of the wheels. 0-60 time will likely improve very slightly if the tire + wheel weight is lower.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Maybe 18" rims with tesla 235 45 18 tires would work well for you? 30+% extra sidewall to cushion blows and the tesla tires would have the acoustic foam (assuming that helps). And I guess the 18" would be better in your case to maximize sidewall thickness.

I think the tesla 18" tires are the Michellin Primacy MXM for all seasons and the Pilot Sport 4s for summers (not 4S). Not sure about winter tires!

I hear the Michellin Cross climate 2s are great all season tires if you want not switch between summer and winter tires, but I dunno about the noise

Regarding performance, 18" wheels would have less metal i.e less weight, which would improve performance/acceleration with the lowered unsprung mass AFAIK.

For the range estimates, you'd just have to change your wheel settings in the car for or to do the calculations correctly (assuming you use one of the stock wheel configs)
Thank you!

Taller sidewalls will provide some wheel durability by putting more rubber between the wheel and objects on the road (won’t protect tires though). 18” will provide more sidewall at the same tire diameter than 19”, which will provide more than 20”.
A smaller wheel size should not increase noise.
Range estimates are voodoo guessing; keep track of how far you actually get for a given amount of battery drain percentage, do simple math to get closer to actual.
Whether various performance factors decrease or increase will depend on several variables, including the width, weight, and rolling resistance of the tires, along with the width, weight, diameter, and design of the wheels. 0-60 time will likely improve very slightly if the tire + wheel weight is lower.
Thank you!

Reactions: Gimmethecash
this is a dumb question but i just bought TST 20 inch wheels from Tsportline. other than tires, is the only other part I need TPMS sensors? Does TMPS include the entire valve system including the core and whatever else? I just take the wheel, tire and TPMS to a tire shop and they are good to go?

this is the one im looking at for my june 2020 M3P

this is a dumb question but i just bought TST 20 inch wheels from Tsportline. other than tires, is the only other part I need TPMS sensors? Does TMPS include the entire valve system including the core and whatever else? I just take the wheel, tire and TPMS to a tire shop and they are good to go?

yes the Tesla TPMS includes all valve system and you need to order them from tesla if you didnt have Tsportline get them from Tesla

I don't know if the 2020 had the Bluetooth sensors but I think that's just a 2021 modification. But I'd check first. Very annoying the Tesla forced that move because nobody is making an aftermarket version of that that I'm aware of. So of course you have to buy the expensive proprietary Tesla part. Check with your service app and ask which sensor they're using on your car.

In Maryland and have 19" PS4 AS on order at Costco for about $900 installed, but really wanted to get these due to the triple peak and longer tread warranty. Do you have 19" wheels and if so, are you wearing the original 235/40'? I would love to have little wider tire to give me some wheel coverage to help protect against curb rash, but am concerned with going to 265/35's...
I am on 18" and just using the standard sizing. I would have liked to go a bit wider for the curb rash reason too but I've already curbed a couple times so it wasn't really a priority for me.