Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with my turn signal it works 100% for left turns but about 10% of the time when I signal right for a full stalk always on indication it cancels as soon as I let go (quick or slow release). Driving me crazy. Wish the green flashing indicator was more obvious so I would know its canceled so quickly. Can't hear the clicking sound with the rock music playing so loudly.... :eek: Might have to switch to jazz.

So with my turn signal it works 100% for left turns but about 10% of the time when I signal right for a full stalk always on indication it cancels as soon as I let go (quick or slow release). Driving me crazy. Wish the green flashing indicator was more obvious so I would know its canceled so quickly. Can't hear the clicking sound with the rock music playing so loudly.... :eek: Might have to switch to jazz.

Sounds like you'll need to have your SCCM replaced sooner or later. :(

Just had mine replaced. Dropped car off on Saturday morning, part was delivered and installed Wednesday morning. Works great now.

Nice! Congrats! — Feels like an entirely different car now that you don't have to struggle with the turn signals, right? ;)

Just got back from the second time they replaced the signal. Kept it over night this time. I get in the car at the SC and immediately test it to find out it still isnt working.
They initially told me they had the new revision part, but then he says they didn't have the revision. I guess I'll now be added to a queue for whenever the part is received.

Good times

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Kermee
Just got back from the second time they replaced the signal. Kept it over night this time. I get in the car at the SC and immediately test it to find out it still isnt working.
They initially told me they had the new revision part, but then he says they didn't have the revision. I guess I'll now be added to a queue for whenever the part is received.

Good times

Ugh. Sad Panda. That sucks...

I requested a mobile service appointment for this a couple weeks ago and they also put me on the waitlist for this new part.

If anyone receives the new part please raise an alarm, so we others can hold their feet to the fire. Fumbling around with the stalk on every lane change to the left is really getting old. :rolleyes: The worst part in my case is that about 1 out of 10 times it actually works as intended, so if I then try to cancel the signal as usual I end up signaling a right turn. The other drivers must think I'm drunk or an idiot.

I requested a mobile service appointment for this a couple weeks ago and they also put me on the waitlist for this new part.

If anyone receives the new part please raise an alarm, so we others can hold their feet to the fire.
They had mine in stock at the Rocklin CA SC two weeks ago.

Fumbling around with the stalk on every lane change to the left is really getting old. :rolleyes: The worst part in my case is that about 1 out of 10 times it actually works as intended, so if I then try to cancel the signal as usual I end up signaling a right turn. The other drivers must think I'm drunk or an idiot.
Oh, how well I know what you mean! It got to the point where I just dreaded having to use the signal... to the point where I pretty much stopped using it. And I hated being "that guy" but even worse, I hated looking like an idiot flashing both directions for seeming no reason. Honestly, I found that I was paying so much attention to canceling the signal, that I was NOT paying enough attention to the important stuff. Gah. Hope you all get it replaced soon. It's lovely when it works.

Welp, I did some testing... and... It's quite possibly my turn signal stalk is defective.

I have the exact same issue as @Eno Deb it turns out.

Testing:
  • Left (Down) Light Press: Continuous
  • Left (Down) Long Press: Continuous
  • Left (Down) Light Press To Cancel Continuous Blinker: Does Not Cancel (Most likely because it's thinking I'm doing a Long Press)
  • Right (Up) Light Press: 3 Blinks
  • Right (Up) Long Press: Continuous
  • Right (Up) Light Press To Cancel Continuous Blinker: Cancels
Other notes:
  • If I "Ever So Lightly"™ go Left (Down) on the stalk, I can get it to the 3-Blinks.
  • Once the Left blinker is on Continuous, a Left (Down) Light press doesn't cancel, but if I do an "Ever So Lightly"™ Left Down, it'll stop blinking then suddenly "hiccup" back to Continuous.
  • Only way I can cancel a Left Continuous blinker other than steering wheel motion, is to signal Right (Up) Light Press. But if I go hard, then now I'm Right blinker Continuous. :D
I'll be contacting the Service Center shortly to schedule. Thanks all!

Exact same issue, here. What was the resolution. Think the remote service tram can fix?

I had mine replaced a couple of days ago at the Burbank service center (very nice staff over there btw). I had to wait an extra week for the part to come, but now the turn signal finally works like it should. The tech told me that the issue might come back in a day, a month, or in a year, they can’t know and asked me to be patient with them as they are working to permanently solve the issue. What’a so complex about a turn signal? At least I’m happy it works now, I felt like a jerk signaling left and right and left and right and ...

• Love
Reactions: a.void
I had to wait an extra week for the part to come, but now the turn signal finally works like it should. The tech told me that the issue might come back in a day, a month, or in a year, they can’t know and asked me to be patient with them as they are working to permanently solve the issue.
They told me that a "new revision of the steering column control" will be made available "in the coming weeks". I was assuming the new revision would solve the issue for good. Did they give you the existing part instead of waiting for the new one?

I'm hard-of-hearing so I don't hear the turn signal. It's very temperamental and finicky. . . as sometimes it does a lane change signal when I press all the way when wanting to do a turn or vice-versa. Consequently, I'm spending waaaaaay too much time being distracted by the touch-screen to confirm or correct my turn/lane signals. It's the one and only beef I have about the Model 3. It's otherwise an amazing piece of machinery.

AFAIK, PN# 1097662-00-K for the SCCM is the reworked part released last month to solve the turn signal stalk issue. So if you have Rev. K or higher, you should be good. Rev. J was the high-failure rate version.

Last time I checked Tesla's public parts website, Rev. K was still the latest version for our Model 3s. It was the revision installed into my vehicle which solved the turn signal issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Eno Deb
AFAIK, PN# 1097662-00-K for the SCCM is the reworked part released last month to solve the turn signal stalk issue. So if you have Rev. K or higher, you should be good. Rev. J was the high-failure rate version.

Last time I checked Tesla's public parts website, Rev. K was still the latest version for our Model 3s. It was the revision installed into my vehicle which solved the turn signal issue.
I still don't have an appointment to get this fixed, presumably because they are waiting for the part. Will ask the mobile tech for the part number if he ever gets here ...

Reactions: Kermee

My replacement part from 16-October-2018 is 1097662-00-L. That was from a month ago, and it seems like a whole 'nuther letter rev beyond K?

• Helpful
Reactions: Kermee
Hey guys stupid question, but picked up my 3 two days ago, turn signal stalk worked for a day....updated my software this morning, now the left highway signal doesn’t work.

How do I get remote service on this machine? I live far from a service center in NH.