Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s not how it works on my GTI. On the GTI you tap down (or up) without moving it to the down (or up) position for 3 blinks, or move to the down (or up) position to turn on indefinitely (until you turn & straighten the wheel or move stalk back to center manually).

Well that's true I suppose. On german cars instead of a detente it just locks into position but it works very similarly, especially with the 3-blink lane change indication.

I see a lot of people express continued frustration (especially on Twitter) about the 3-blinks "not being long enough". These people do not know how to drive. The 3 blinks is more than adequate to signal to other drives that you are now making lane change. It is not designed to beg other drives to let you in. I've never felt that 3 blinks wasn't enough to signal my intention to make a lane change. If I need to merge in packed traffic I just use the continuous blinker function and cancel it after I merge.

Tesla's implementation is pretty good. Like a lot of people who've spent time driving on the Autobahn I drive with my hands locked at 3 and 9 and use my left pinky to manipulate the stalk.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I see a lot of people express continued frustration (especially on Twitter) about the 3-blinks "not being long enough". These people do not know how to drive. The 3 blinks is more than adequate to signal to other drives that you are now making lane change. It is not designed to beg other drives to let you in. I've never felt that 3 blinks wasn't enough to signal my intention to make a lane change. If I need to merge in packed traffic I just use the continuous blinker function and cancel it after I merge.

CVC22107 and CVC22018 are a bit ambiguous, but you may be cited under either or both for that lane change in California; other states have similar and less ambiguous provisions. CVC22018 is often enforced as your signal must be on for 100 feet before making your change and through the completion of your maneuver, even though that's not what it strictly says.

CVC22107 and CVC22018 are a bit ambiguous, but you may be cited under either or both for that lane change in California; other states have similar and less ambiguous provisions. CVC22018 is often enforced as your signal must be on for 100 feet before making your change, and through the completion of your maneuver.

To that I say LOL. I have been driving for 30 years, have logged well over 1/2 million miles and have never been stopped for making a lane change improperly.

Keep in mind that @ 60mph you are covering 88 feet in one second.... so not that tough to cover 100 feet before making your lane change... if some cop with a hard on for pedantry stopped me for it I'd offer to fight him in court over it.

The bottom line is that the entire point of the 3 blink signal is to indicate that you ARE making a lane change and informing other drivers, not to signal that you WANT to make a lane change and are asking permission.

To anyone who doesn't get that, well, sorry.

To that I say LOL. I have been driving for 30 years, have logged well over 1/2 million miles and have never been stopped for making a lane change improperly.

Keep in mind that @ 60mph you are covering 88 feet in one second.... so not that tough to cover 100 feet before making your lane change... if some cop with a hard on for pedantry stopped me for it I'd offer to fight him in court over it.

The bottom line is that the entire point of the 3 blink signal is to indicate that you ARE making a lane change and informing other drivers, not to signal that you WANT to make a lane change and are asking permission.

I get it. It's pretty straight forward and common sense.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Well that's true I suppose. On german cars instead of a detente it just locks into position but it works very similarly, especially with the 3-blink lane change indication.

Tesla's implementation is pretty good. Like a lot of people who've spent time driving on the Autobahn I drive with my hands locked at 3 and 9 and use my left pinky to manipulate the stalk.

I too don't get what the problem is that people are having with the turn signal. I actually love the feel of the stalk and how easy it is to touch for a quick signal or just push up slightly more to keep it on. I use the quick touch when traffic is light and I want to legally signal I'm switching lanes (I know a rare thing here in California but I think I have good driving habits besides it being a required thing). I will press harder up or down (and harder isn't really harder like its so difficult to move, maybe further up or down would be better terminology) on the stalk for when I'm sitting at a turn lane at the light for example and want to keep them on until I've turned.

I too don't get what the problem is that people are having with the turn signal.
The problem is some people actually have defective turn stalk control modules so they don't work the way they are supposed to. I loved the new turn signal functionality even though it was defective and sometimes stays on when it should turn off.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles
I too don't get what the problem is that people are having with the turn signal. I actually love the feel of the stalk and how easy it is to touch for a quick signal or just push up slightly more to keep it on. I use the quick touch when traffic is light and I want to legally signal I'm switching lanes (I know a rare thing here in California but I think I have good driving habits besides it being a required thing). I will press harder up or down (and harder isn't really harder like its so difficult to move, maybe further up or down would be better terminology) on the stalk for when I'm sitting at a turn lane at the light for example and want to keep them on until I've turned.

I assume you do not have a defective unit so why would you be able to understand the issue? Of course unless you mean those "people" that have no mechanical issue. Or you just did not read the thread.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
I assume you do not have a defective unit so why would you be able to understand the issue? Of course unless you mean those "people" that have no mechanical issue. Or you just did not read the thread.

The thread is discussing two things, defective turn steering control modules (not "stalk") vs. confusion/anger/kill-it-with-fire about how the turn signals work when they function properly.

I've had my defective steering control module replaced and I understand the logic of the 3 signal "short" turn signal activation vs. the continuous activation so I'm in position to comment on both of these topics.

Well of course if something is faulty and won't turn off it needs to go to service and the part replaced as I understand it. There were a few people who picked up their cars in Fremont at the same time as me that experienced the always on signal on their way home. That however is not what I'm hearing in all these posts. More of a complaint about the short 3 blinks that I'm responding to.

Well of course if something is faulty and won't turn off it needs to go to service and the part replaced as I understand it. There were a few people who picked up their cars in Fremont at the same time as me that experienced the always on signal on their way home. That however is not what I'm hearing in all these posts. More of a complaint about the short 3 blinks that I'm responding to.

That was not clear. Those that don't understand the properly functioning three blinks in many cases are using it wrong or resisting something new to them. It's pretty logical and easy to use when working.

Reactions: SMAlset

You're arguing against a point no-one is making. It's not about turning it on to request permission -- it's about having it remain on throughout the maneuver.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
Driving in DC blows as well. Drivers are a perfect combination of aggressive a-holes and terrible skills. All using a turn signal in busy highway traffic does here is ensure you will never be able to change lanes because nobody ever ever lets you in, and if they see your signal on they’ll know you would like to change lanes, take it as a personal affront, and speed up to close any possible gap you could utilize. You seriously have to start drifting in as one car goes by, practially hitting the side of their car, so that the next car is not given the chance to speed up and cut you off. Effing hate driving here.

Driving in DC blows as well. Drivers are a perfect combination of aggressive a-holes and terrible skills. All using a turn signal in busy highway traffic does here is ensure you will never be able to change lanes because nobody ever ever lets you in, and if they see your signal on they’ll know you would like to change lanes, take it as a personal affront, and speed up to close any possible gap you could utilize. You seriously have to start drifting in as one car goes by, practially hitting the side of their car, so that the next car is not given the chance to speed up and cut you off. Effing hate driving here.

Perhaps some will run over the politicians.