Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 USA Spotify Spotted?! (Spotifotted?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t get your hopes up. The Spotify addition is likely a precursor to the EU Model 3 roll out.

(Slacker currently has exclusively rights to Tesla vehicles in North America. Tesla vehicles outside North America already have Spotify.)

While I recognize you are most likely correct, I am still holding out hope.

Agreements aren't forever, and the demand for something better than Slacker is pretty clear. I believe Tesla could offer Spotify (or Google Play/Apple Music) integration without including a subscription of any type, and still have better customer satisfaction than what they are currently achieving with whatever deal they have worked out with Slacker.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I want spotify so bad, it is like my number one ask.

I hate slacker radio and the sound of spotify through bluetooth is terrible. I don't understand how Slacker got the US contract, I had never even heard of it before I got my model 3 and it is lacking all the features that make the competitors good (especially the tesla app version).

I have like ten years worth of finely curated lists in spotify and would kill to just get in the car and play my lists.

Reactions: MikeATL
If you read through the thread linked above it claims that Tesla started using Slacker in the US in September 2013...which puts them at 5 years at the end of the month...interesting round number for an exclusivity agreement to end? Slacker is okay, but as a Spotify Premium Family subscriber, I would be thrilled if they added Spotify in the US. I refuse to pay for 2 premium music services, and the rest of the family would probably disown me if I got rid of Spotify.

Application Categorization of a network stream is not a science, especially when cloud hosting and encryption come into play. More detail would be needed about the traffic stream to make an independent evaluation of what it is.

They've never supported the tesla app- because it's not written by them it's written by Tesla.

If it was written by them they'd likely have enabled a lot more features to encourage folks to upgrade to a paid subscription.

I did not know that, that makes a lot more sense. I couldn't figure out why slacker wasn't doing more for the app to support what is probably 90% of their customer base. Tesla needs to get a better product manager over the slacker app and get it up to par with user expectations.

On my X, I see that it also makes calls to Spotify API even though it isn't an option in the UI. I am guessing it is just doing the same thing there, since the backend code is still running just isn't enabled in the interface.

I did not know that, that makes a lot more sense. I couldn't figure out why slacker wasn't doing more for the app to support what is probably 90% of their customer base. Tesla needs to get a better product manager over the slacker app and get it up to par with user expectations.

As of late 2017 when they were sold Slacker had 1.5 million monthly active users

Meaning Tesla users were like 5-10% of their userbase.

Obviously Model 3 is going to increase that somewhat, but it'll be a while before they're even half of their users.

As of late 2017 when they were sold Slacker had 1.5 million monthly active users

Meaning Tesla users were like 5-10% of their userbase.

Obviously Model 3 is going to increase that somewhat, but it'll be a while before they're even half of their users.

A lot more non-Tesla users than I would have anticipated. I had never heard of it prior to Tesla and it seems inferior to competitors. I wonder how many of those are paying users and how many just listen to the free radio. It still seems strange that EU gets Spotify with 180 million active users and we get the bit player. Do you know if there is any connection between Tesla leadership/Slacker that influenced the decision?

A lot more non-Tesla users than I would have anticipated. I had never heard of it prior to Tesla and it seems inferior to competitors. I wonder how many of those are paying users and how many just listen to the free radio. It still seems strange that EU gets Spotify with 180 million active users and we get the bit player. Do you know if there is any connection between Tesla leadership/Slacker that influenced the decision?

Out of the 1.5 million, 400,000 were revenue subscribers as of that same late 2017 date... That's actually down a fair bit from previous when they had also been the backbone of Samsungs music streaming service on its phones that Samsung closed down in 2016 so they lost a big revenue stream from that at the time- one of the major reasons they sold the company in late 2017 to LiveXLive.

They've been exclusive in US/Canada since 2012, not aware of any connection in leadership I figure it was more in 2012 Tesla was barely a blip on anyones radar and Slacker offered them the best terms.