Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 waiters in California - please post here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet theyre doing this: make a batch of LR, ship them east coast to west coast (November), make a batch of SR ship them east coast to west coast (Mid Nov to Mid Dec), make a batch of Performance, ship them east coast to west coast (December).

I think you're right. So far, according to tezz.la, a bunch of LR rejected deliveries are in the east coast. Probably making its way west.

While I know it is logistically sensible to get deliveries underway to distant locations - east coast, Canada, etc. - but it seems to me that is isn't completely obvious when those of us in California will get our Model 3's. I highly suspect that those of us in California (and even worse, the Bay Area) will get ours later than others - but will we get them last? Will we get them last - regardless of order date?

So, California orders - please post here as you order, receive information, VIN numbers, etc. We are logistically a strange group. I can't imagine all cars will come here last, but I have no idea as to when they may really come.

I'll start: LR AWD, No FSD, ordered 10/11 - Bay Area. Nothing from Tesla yet. I suspect (and have since been told to expect) late November delivery. That seems reasonable. But will it be Xmas - time? I sold my car (stupid me!) before I knew the extent of the wait. It's not fun getting around with only a one car family.

Not sure if this still applies but Elon said it couple of months ago that they are making cars for overseas in the first month of the quarter. Second month goes to East Coast. Third month goes to West Coast.

I'm curious who will get delivery priority first, Northern Cal or SoCal?
All the gossip would assume that SoCal would be first and NorCal be last. But that makes little sense logistically. And Tesla is not stupid. Add to that the fact that a good 1/4 of all U.S. Tesla's are going to California locations - it makes even less sense.

We have the very logistical issue of sending ALL cars to one place at a time. It makes no sense to sequentially flood certain areas of the country with Teslas. The delivery centers will be overloaded and then have nothing to do in "off" times. Not very efficient.

The most sensible thing to do would be to concentrate on the East coast first, then move westward - but faster. Start delivering in the west coast in 2-3 weeks and continue the trickle all over the country until the end of year. End of quarter rush should be left for late orders. This way, most delivery centers have a short hiatus - and then continually deliver cars. Lots of cars!

I mean - look at the SF Bay Area. How many cars in the Bay Area can Tesla possibly deliver per day? Not nearly as many as it probably needs to if Tesla waits until the last minute to send cars to Bay Area delivery centers.

Conversely, do you flood the East coast - saturate the delivery centers with Teslas packed on top of each other - then let them be idle most of December? No, it wouldn't be smart to do that either.

Let me pose this as a question
. If you had 50,000 Teslas to deliver all over the US (and the backlog must be that high by now), how would you space them to allow all these little delivery centers to be best utilized? East first then move west does not make sense. Any better ideas?

Reactions: msm859
I have no words to express my frustration. Everyone who is not living in California and have ordered the vehicles even 2-3 weeks later than us are receiving the deliveries and we are just waiting to appear the vin in source code... what the hell...!

Apologies for crossing over to chime in here! Ordered a MS on 10/5 but thought you all would find this response interesting... email from my sales associate today stating:

'Thank you for being so patient about this and understanding. The latest news I've heard about this is that Tesla will officially begin to build all vehicles for the United States starting December 15th. There may be a chance they start sooner. You are one of my clients that ordered the earliest, you should definitely be getting your vehicle before EOY and eligible for the Federal Tax Credit.'

Considering the movement of M3s from the East to the Midwest at the moment, I found the sentence 'Tesla will officially begin to build all vehicles for the United States starting December 15th' rather funny. Just thought I share that with those waiting in California as well. Maybe you get a chuckle out of it.

... another clueless sales associate.
Worse than clueless. If Tesla started December 15th with US production, it could build 10,000-14,000 cars by the end of the year. Even if Tesla could use their "transporters" to get the cars to customers - it would leave about 30,000 backorders in the US at end of year.

Yes, Tesla would make their numbers (they have that much foreign backlog), but they will have totally decimated the US market. Yes, they use 2 1/2 months of (a 3 month) quarter to build cars for overseas?!

This is why I say we need to stop listening to these idiots that they call sales/delivery associates. They open their mouth and total crap falls out. I don't think they are intentionally lying. I think they are that stupid!

Reactions: TheUmp
I have no words to express my frustration. Everyone who is not living in California and have ordered the vehicles even 2-3 weeks later than us are receiving the deliveries and we are just waiting to appear the vin in source code... what the hell...!

We are all in this soup together. I think Tesla will deliver all (of at least October) orders. It is frustrating for those of us in the Bay area. We're last and can just go to Fremont and get keys for new cars from Elon Musk dressed in a Santa suit? Yeah, right!

I'm telling you that the logistics is likely far more complex than east to west. I'm surprised that they can get that many cars out of Fremont - let alone to their destinations. And no, it's not like they are going to dealerships that can hold many hundreds of vehicles at a time.

It probably looks simple -- east to west now -- but soon it will be an issue of not overloading all the delivery centers. This would be to start east to west then continue a steady flow to all locations as cars are made. To swamp a geographical region all at once would be nuts!

To swamp a geographical region all at once would be nuts!
You keep saying this, despite all available evidence and history demonstrating this is more or less exactly how it works.

You’re right it’s “slightly” more complex than that, but not much. As I said upthread, the only real rule is “if the car built right now can be transported and delivered to a customer far away before the end of the year, and there’s still time to build a new car for the nearby customer, the person far away wins.” Every time. They’ll figure out the logistics later.

You keep saying this, despite all available evidence and history demonstrating this is more or less exactly how it works.

You’re right it’s “slightly” more complex than that, but not much. As I said upthread, the only real rule is “if the car built right now can be transported and delivered to a customer far away before the end of the year, and there’s still time to build a new car for the nearby customer, the person far away wins.” Every time. They’ll figure out the logistics later.
That's why they got caught end of quarter (Q3) with 3000 cars in their inventory. That's serious cash that are unrealized sales. I'm sure they have lots of nerdy accountants who constantly remind production that if they build a car, then need to get rid of it ASAP.

I just don't see how they could possibly get all the California cars delivered in the last 2 weeks of December. And there are more cars going to California destinations than anywhere else.

That's why they got caught end of quarter (Q3) with 3000 cars in their inventory. That's serious cash that are unrealized sales. I'm sure they have lots of nerdy accountants who constantly remind production that if they build a car, then need to get rid of it ASAP.

I just don't see how they could possibly get all the California cars delivered in the last 2 weeks of December. And there are more cars going to California destinations than anywhere else.
We've surmised they'll deliver the lr awd in Cali soon, then the sr a few weeks later, then the performance last few weeks of the year.

Reactions: skydreamerjae