Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Web Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk has already said that StarLink requires a receiver that is too bulky for a car, and is appropriate for fixed installations. Unless that limitation changes, cars are not in the running

As for a web browser in the car, if it happens it will surely be part of a subscription service.

Musk has already said that StarLink requires a receiver that is too bulky for a car, and is appropriate for fixed installations. Unless that limitation changes, cars are not in the running

As for a web browser in the car, if it happens it will surely be part of a subscription service.

It'd fit on the car. It'd need a bit of software magic for it's directional stuff to work well with a vehicle in motion, and a bit more software magic to be able to adapt it's to not being in a configure-and-done fixed location. Obviously it'd also not work as well when going through locations with very limited horizon (like among downtown high-rises, or roads with very tight tree coverage). But size-wise it'd fit on the roof of a car. Esthetics and wind drag probably wouldn't be great.

I expect they'll be a thing for RVs, where a lot of those variable change.

I've been wondering about the ability to access Waze on the Model 3 center screen.
And since my 23yr old son first got into the Model 3 and concluded how terrible Slacker is compared to Spotify (I don't use Spotify so Slacker seems great to me), it appears there's also a benefit to enabling Tesla drivers to use the apps (such as Spotify) they prefer in their daily lives, rather than Tesla owners having a set of apps when not in the car and another set when in the car.

Do S/X have the above capabilities today?

I've been wondering about the ability to access Waze on the Model 3 center screen.
And since my 23yr old son first got into the Model 3 and concluded how terrible Slacker is compared to Spotify (I don't use Spotify so Slacker seems great to me), it appears there's also a benefit to enabling Tesla drivers to use the apps (such as Spotify) they prefer in their daily lives, rather than Tesla owners having a set of apps when not in the car and another set when in the car.

Do S/X have the above capabilities today?
The S and X can use Tesla Waze.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I would think a browser would present a huge security risk, unless they can really isolate it 100% from all other functions on the car. It's not hard to imagine a hacker gaining access to the car's operating system and suddenly making every Tesla drive off a cliff simultaneously.

I would think a browser would present a huge security risk, unless they can really isolate it 100% from all other functions on the car. It's not hard to imagine a hacker gaining access to the car's operating system and suddenly making every Tesla drive off a cliff simultaneously.

They could run the browser in a sandbox.
Wouldn't be much of a technical feat to virtualize for something like a browser. Then it would be completely walled off. I suspect the reason it hasn't happened yet is either data usage, simply the fact that it's low on the priority list, or both.

I'm of a mind not to have an internet browser in a car. To me, it's more of a novelty since any browsing I might need to do can be done from my phone. I recognize other people actually use it for car-specific purposes (Waze), but it seems to me that Tesla could start looking into an "app store" of sorts to address this.

Browsing doesn't belong in cars.

I'm of a mind not to have an internet browser in a car. To me, it's more of a novelty since any browsing I might need to do can be done from my phone. I recognize other people actually use it for car-specific purposes (Waze), but it seems to me that Tesla could start looking into an "app store" of sorts to address this.
I had someone use this same sentiment on me in another thread when I said that I didn't want a key fob... Just because you don't want it doesn't mean that others don't. If they release it then you don't have to use it. But, more choice is better.

I would love it. I find myself using YouTube for music a lot on my phone, even with the screen off.

Reactions: McFlurri