Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Web Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had someone use this same sentiment on me in another thread when I said that I didn't want a key fob... Just because you don't want it doesn't mean that others don't. If they release it then you don't have to use it. But, more choice is better.

I would love it. I find myself using YouTube for music a lot on my phone, even with the screen off.

I'm not talking about just me. I don't want anyone on the road to have one more excuse to not pay attention to the road. Once Tesla's are fully autonomous, then and only then can we talk.

Is there anyone that thinks there will be a web browser for our Free Internet For Life Model 3's? Maybe one that lets you watch Netflix while charging? If there is WiFi at the Superchargers even the new non-Premium cars could use it.

I remember for-ever they have been promising the MS and MX owners they would get a new improved browser, perhaps that's what we are waiting for?

-Randy

I think having Netflix is a great idea to pass time while at a Supercharger! They could even disable the feature when driving for obvious safety reasons. Too bad I doubt this will happen..

IIRC Elon had promised a SDK for in car apps a long time ago when they started production of the s but that never happened.

Reactions: khraiv
I think having Netflix is a great idea to pass time while at a Supercharger! They could even disable the feature when driving for obvious safety reasons. Too bad I doubt this will happen..

IIRC Elon had promised a SDK for in car apps a long time ago when they started production of the s but that never happened.
Netflix would be awesome for those days I sit in the car for the AC. :)

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Videos:

I didn't mean to single out NetFlix, and YouTube is just another example. I would like to be able to even play videos off my USB stick, just give me some GREAT use for that gorgeous screen while I wait. I look from car to car at the supercharger and we are all sitting there on our little phones while this huge screen with amazing sound system attached just shows me charging my battery...

Apps:

A web browser would be a good way to bootstrap apps for the car. That's what Apple did on the iPhone, then it quickly became obvious that they needed an API and a store. Apple has had apps running securely on their phones forever, so it doesn't seem likely that there will ever be a time when the car would be hacked and driven off a cliff (are there still cliffs to drive off of, or is that just in movies from the 60's). Non-Internet solutions like the S/X keyfob have proven to be hackable too, so just keep the bug bounty alive and let us run apps in the car that make the user experience that much better. There are so many already available via the web, and if developers can monetize them, the sky is the limit.

My first app: What will the range be on this trip with my bike mounted on the hitch

-Randy

Last edited:
I think videos should be allowed.

A friend of mine has a Dodge Caravan that can play videos on the screen in the dash (Only in Park). So this is not new folks. Stop claiming "Safety" issues. If the car is in park... how is it any different than using your phone?

Please implement this in Version 9 Tesla!

Reactions: jsrawa
I think videos should be allowed.

A friend of mine has a Dodge Caravan that can play videos on the screen in the dash (Only in Park). So this is not new folks. Stop claiming "Safety" issues. If the car is in park... how is it any different than using your phone?

Please implement this in Version 9 Tesla!

My guess is once FSD will reach Level 5, it will have the ability to play video - why else design the screen to look like a TV?

Lots of comments here:

I would love a browser in the Model 3. It just would not seem feature complete without one.

I am not going to use it as my primary computing device, but on occasion (not while driving) I may want to look something up or read the news while I am waiting in a parking lot.

The "killing time while at a supercharger" idea is a very obvious one. It would be nice if Tesla figured out how to deploy WiFi at all the supercharger locations and perhaps allowed video, etc... when at the superchargers.

It is also just blatantly obvious that some kind of an app store makes a ton of sense. I would rather Waze turn by turn instructions over the built in Tesla ones. or perhaps a different music service, or an app to log my milage, etc... Frankly, this will likely happen because it is an opportunity for additional revenue down the road. It could self fund itself if you are able to build a big enough ecosystem that app developers are willing to share some revenue with you.

My Model 3 is the first car where I have actually been excited about the technology that came with the car. I am looking forward to see where they take it!

Waze is nice in that it offers alternate routes and the ability to crowdsource the traffic, but the downside is you lose the routing for range and the best charger to stop at. If I am going to charge at home tonight then Waze is likely best, if I am road tripping I'll trust Tesla routing.

-Randy

Reactions: GSP
Waze is nice in that it offers alternate routes and the ability to crowdsource the traffic, but the downside is you lose the routing for range and the best charger to stop at. If I am going to charge at home tonight then Waze is likely best, if I am road tripping I'll trust Tesla routing.

-Randy
After seeing the anecdotes of Tesla's routing sending people down what amount to cutlines and stuff, I'm wondering if, for long road trips, using your phone before you head out to first do a 30 second sanity check on Tesla's routing is in order?

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and israndy