Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It being an everyday vehicle, I think 18's would be more than enough for the street. it'll benefit the range of the vehicle and still be able to offer sporty appeal without it making it feel mushy.

I never understood the need to go to massive wheels with thin little rubber bands for rubber.

If 18's is good enough for the race series, it should be more than enough for the street. :)

The RC cars we see now are most likely RWD and certainly non-performance cars. Performance cars will most likely have 20s and offsets as you need a much wider tire to handle the downward force on the rears during rapid acceleration.
  1. On the S, Tesla allows you to upgrade to the 21" turbines even when ordering the otherwise base rear-drive 75.
  2. We've seen RCs with wheels that match the silver alpha's wheels design, but they appear to be a bit smaller in diameter.
  3. Tesla doesn't offer a staggered setup on the S.
Frankly, I think 20" diameter wheels are probably a bit much for the 3, but I really like having *wide* wheels to fill out the wheel wells, so I'm still hoping for a staggered set to be offered. I just don't think that it's likely. But I'll continue hoping that you're right. :)

1. On the S, Tesla allows you to upgrade to the 21" turbines even when ordering the otherwise base rear-drive 75.
  2. We've seen RCs with wheels that match the silver alpha's wheels design, but they appear to be a bit smaller in diameter.
  3. Tesla doesn't offer a staggered setup on the S.
Frankly, I think 20" diameter wheels are probably a bit much for the 3, but I really like having *wide* wheels to fill out the wheel wells, so I'm still hoping for a staggered set to be offered. I just don't think that it's likely. But I'll continue hoping that you're right. :)
Regarding #3, I don't think that correct. At one time I think they were all staggered, then only on performance verions, but I think the 21" are again all staggered regardless of performance or not. Or maybe I am getting confused with the wheels on the X instead of the S.

Could always use small spacers to push the wheels further out as well. I know some have done that on the S.

Last edited:
To me the first wheel looks like the old 19" S wheels, just in a "V" configuration.
old 19.jpg

The second looks like the current turbine wheels.

21_Wheel_Silver_Continental_Tire-v2_1024x1024.jpg

To keep things consistent between the S and 3 I bet the turbine-ish wheels are the upgrades.

I noticed the REAR brakes could be different in the base Model 3 and the AWD(performance) red caliper Brembo ones which may not be standard like in Model S/X which is brembo (black calipers) for all and just red painted for the Performance versions

The Blue Brembo brakes(pictured) is for Alpine A110 is the latest light weight tech from Brembo which seems to be the ones TESLA is going to use for Model 3 AWD(performance) versions because of the unique "V shape" looking instead of the traditional "C shape". The RC which I assume are all RWD versions seems to have a normal looking rear brakes. (silver with no branding and a big hole in the middle)
brake-jpg.1475
brake4-png.1476
brake2-jpg.1477
brake3-jpg.1478

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
this is probably a dumb question and I haven't really found any thread on it, but.... are there ways to black out the middle area of the wheels with the lugs so it looks more like the early versions? maybe just paint it or something?
coming from a very not-wheel person but I feel like the early version looks much sharper.
wheels_zpsin7pni2l.png

this is probably a dumb question and I haven't really found any thread on it, but.... are there ways to black out the middle area of the wheels with the lugs so it looks more like the early versions? maybe just paint it or something?
coming from a very not-wheel person but I feel like the early version looks much sharper.
wheels_zpsin7pni2l.png

There will be center covers to cover the hub and lugnuts. They are just not installed on the RC wheels. I believe the alpha wheels were custom. If you look at all the alpha pictures of the 10 spoke wheels including closups there are no valve stems visable. The valve stems are clearly visable on the RC's.

Mmm...OK. Not terrible, but not great either. Remember, the larger the wheels and the smaller the sidewall, the smaller the gap needs to be to not look too big.
I agree, looks better than prior photos (especially the white car) but still looks bit high at the back. But I'm in the group that thinks almost all cars have too much wheel well gap. :p