Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Width

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Particularly sad considering how many cameras they have pointing in all directions.
I wonder if it was a matter of not wanting to pay licensing fees for related patents?

Probably a combination of not having/wanting the down pointing cameras on the side mirrors that are needed for it, along with the licensing. I'm pretty sure it's patented.

I wish there was a way from the backup camera display to switch it to the view from the various other cameras.
You could switch to the passenger side camera when parallel parking for instance.

Well on that note, I wish cars had side facing cameras on the front bumper that you could view... For those times when you are trying to inch forward from a side street, and parked cars are blocking your view, and it is hard to tell if it is safe to pull out. Those cases where you have to cut into traffic before you can see if anyone is coming.

Reactions: Norfolk Enchants
I wish cars had side facing cameras on the front bumper that you could view... For those times when you are trying to inch forward from a side street, and parked cars are blocking your view, and it is hard to tell if it is safe to pull out. Those cases where you have to cut into traffic before you can see if anyone is coming.

My 3 series has this. I paid extra for the option. I probably use it in anger once every two months. The delay from pressing the button to being able to see where you're going, and the mental gymnastics of looking at the screen in the middle to see out the side means it's not quite as useful as I expected. Still a nice to have now that I have it.

The surround view however is critical to fitting the car in the garage. I will miss that (and the HUD) terribly.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason S
Don't you think auto park and summon will handle that?

LOL. I think if someone has a very straight shot garage or car port that requires no maneuvering then Tesla can probably get it to work pretty well with the ultrasonic sensors on the car.

It takes a three point turn to get my car into the garage and a three point turn to get it out. To have enough room from the other car in the garage my final location of the car is perhaps 6-10 inches from the front passenger side fender to the concrete apron above the garage floor.

I don't see Tesla's auto pilot dealing with this stuff, to my satisfaction, anytime soon.

Theoretically though yes, there's no reason a computer can't do exactly what I am currently doing, if anything it should be easier because it can see and measure all of the distances.

For it to work to my satisfaction the car would need to have a "learn" mode where it learned how I park the car in the garage and where I want it positioned. The car would then really be re-creating those steps on its own while measuring the distances.

LOL. I think if someone has a very straight shot garage or car port that requires no maneuvering then Tesla can probably get it to work pretty well with the ultrasonic sensors on the car.

It takes a three point turn to get my car into the garage and a three point turn to get it out. To have enough room from the other car in the garage my final location of the car is perhaps 6-10 inches from the front passenger side fender to the concrete apron above the garage floor.

I don't see Tesla's auto pilot dealing with this stuff, to my satisfaction, anytime soon.

Theoretically though yes, there's no reason a computer can't do exactly what I am currently doing, if anything it should be easier because it can see and measure all of the distances.

For it to work to my satisfaction the car would need to have a "learn" mode where it learned how I park the car in the garage and where I want it positioned. The car would then really be re-creating those steps on its own while measuring the distances.

I have a fairly straight shot, but not level. My challenge is getting the car lined up straight and center to back into the garage because I have basically no driveway (my garage entrance is almost at the edge of the sidewalk). Currently it sounds like I need to line it up myself before letting the car take over, at which point I'm perfectly capable of backing in straight myself. I have enough room to get out inside the garage, but only if the car is perfectly straight and not at an angle.

Hmm... so the 3 is only 1.3" narrower than the S with mirrors folded? That's going to be tricky parking it next to my wife's minivan in the garage. It can physically squeeze in, but there won't be much room between vehicles for the driver to enter/exit. My driveway is fairly steep, so I don't think autopark/summon will work.

It's wide | Tesla
accentcreate | August 9, 2017
It is bloody huge! We were hoping for a sensible-sized car to negotiate French country roads and villages. This is bigger than our current large Peugeot 5008 which we bought partly to serve as a builder's van while we renovated. The whole point of waiting for the M3 was to get something smaller than the S or X, but this is still a great big Yank Tank.

Hmm... so the 3 is only 1.3" narrower than the S with mirrors folded? That's going to be tricky parking it next to my wife's minivan in the garage. It can physically squeeze in, but there won't be much room between vehicles for the driver to enter/exit. My driveway is fairly steep, so I don't think autopark/summon will work.
From the Tesla Website:
Model S Specifications
  • Length 196.0"
  • Wheelbase 116.5"
  • Width 86.2"
    With mirrors folded 77.3"
So ~ 4 inches difference in total width if the mirrors are unfolded compared to the Model 3, but only ~ 1 inch with mirrors folded ?
Either the mirror folding geometry are quite different in the two cars or further corrections in the reported dimensions are forthcoming.

I'm inclined to guess that like the Model S, the Model 3 will also save about 4.5 inches per mirror width when folded, implying that the folded mirrors width of the Model 3 will be ~ 73 inches

From the Tesla Website:
Model S Specifications
  • Length 196.0"
  • Wheelbase 116.5"
  • Width 86.2"
    With mirrors folded 77.3"
So ~ 4 inches difference in total width if the mirrors are unfolded compared to the Model 3, but only ~ 1 inch with mirrors folded ?
Either the mirror folding geometry are quite different in the two cars or further corrections in the reported dimensions are forthcoming.

I'm inclined to guess that like the Model S, the Model 3 will also save about 4.5 inches per mirror width when folded, implying that the folded mirrors width of the Model 3 will be ~ 73 inches

The specs are clear that the car is 76.1 inches with the mirrors folded. The model S has mirrors that stick out more than normal.

I'd love it if that turned out to be true but, after multiple corrections to their documents, I'm inclined to think the current specs are the actual ones and I'm resigned to the car being a hefty 76.1" wide. Sigh.

Oh well, I just may have to get this as my personalized plate:

Yank_Tank.png

(This is actually still available in California in case anyone really wants to claim it)

Don't you think auto park and summon will handle that?

My garage is 4.9m wide and I also fit a CX-5 in it, the door aperture being substantially less than that. The entire time I'm reversing into position the parking sensors are screaming to say "terminally too close". I'd love it if auto park and summon could get the car as close to the walls as I can, but I am fully expecting to be disappointed.

Unfortunately now that Tesla have fattened the car specs it's now 16cm wider than the 335, which may be a deal-breaker. I was excited reading the original specs, but at least I've got another 18 months before the Australian RHD deliveries start to determine if my inexpensive electric car will cost me thrice as much in garage extensions.