Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Width

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla made cars that were a bit more narrow. Compact parking spaces are a fact of life in the city.

The main reason I want a 3 over an S is the size of the car. I think the model 3 is still a little larger than I want for a car. I just can't wait another 6-8 years for the corolla sized tesla to come along (if ever).

In some ways "Model 3" seems like a progression from chassis.... Roadster=1 S/X=2, ModelE/3=3...
But... the cars model 3 is trying to compete against tend to use the number to represent relative size, like "3 series=mid/compact".
For a smaller call (like "sub-compact"), I think it would be in line with the industry to call it "Model 2" (like 2 series BMW, Mazda 2, etc.)
But some part of me thinks the next chassis should have a vehicle called "Model 4" not "Model 2".

Anyways, yeah, I can't wait / hope for Tesla to make something more narrow. Will have to deal with the width of the Model 3. At least it isn't as wide as S & X.
As long as I am not trying to squeeze into a narrow parking space, or pass someone on a narrow road, I will enjoy the extra interior space. It is a trade-off.

Reactions: Arthur Tucker
Speaking as somebody with a very small garage, I was definitely surprised that the mirrors folded width is only about an inch narrower than the S. However, I'm very glad the mirrors don't stick out nearly as much. Since I back into the garage I need the mirrors, and the ones on my S barely fit. Also, the car being a foot shorter will help me as well.

Speaking as somebody with a very small garage, I was definitely surprised that the mirrors folded width is only about an inch narrower than the S. However, I'm very glad the mirrors don't stick out nearly as much. Since I back into the garage I need the mirrors, and the ones on my S barely fit. Also, the car being a foot shorter will help me as well.

I was measuring my small garage door opening last night, and it came out to 95" (we live in a townhouse cluster of 4 homes - 2 attached to each other). Our biggest problem will be our stupid, narrow, oddly angled driveway. After pulling into it from the street, we have to make 5-6 maneuvers to get our 71"-wide ILX into the garage. Only 2-3 moves to get out of the garage to the street though. Figuring out how to accomplish parking the 3 should be a lot of fun. Hopefully the parking sensors and cameras will be amazing.

• Funny
Reactions: pkalhan
Anyways, yeah, I can't wait / hope for Tesla to make something more narrow. Will have to deal with the width of the Model 3. At least it isn't as wide as S & X.
As long as I am not trying to squeeze into a narrow parking space, or pass someone on a narrow road, I will enjoy the extra interior space. It is a trade-off.

I'm also wishing the Model 3 was smaller, I'm a fan of compact/sub-compact cars, but all the EVs in the category don't have supercharging and I like to go on roadtrips, so I'm going to have to deal with the larger size of the Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK
I was measuring my small garage door opening last night, and it came out to 95" (we live in a townhouse cluster of 4 homes - 2 attached to each other). Our biggest problem will be our stupid, narrow, oddly angled driveway. After pulling into it from the street, we have to make 5-6 maneuvers to get our 71"-wide ILX into the garage. Only 2-3 moves to get out of the garage to the street though. Figuring out how to accomplish parking the 3 should be a lot of fun. Hopefully the parking sensors and cameras will be amazing.

The top down parking view found on BMW and Infiniti cars is the best in the industry for this stuff but Tesla sadly does not offer it.

I am highly skeptical that a computer will be putting my car in or out of my garage as tightly as I do.

The top down parking view found on BMW and Infiniti cars is the best in the industry for this stuff but Tesla sadly does not offer it.

Particularly sad considering how many cameras they have pointing in all directions.
I wonder if it was a matter of not wanting to pay licensing fees for related patents?