Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 will generate cash flow of $10,000 per year at a minimum on an autonomous taxi platform

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hWpa0iL.png

• Funny
Reactions: rnortman
Not much in this thread. The man said it would happen. I might have to supervise a while longer than projected... so? And maybe not for some things.

Go ahead, buy another horse. Those are the options. You either believe it or you don't.

Either you believe it or you don’t is true.

That said no need to buy anything for many of us. We bought into this already in 2016 and are waiting...

The man has said many, many things.

Leaving aside all the snark in this thread (which is most of the thread) it is hard to deny that IF Tesla is able to achieve a reasonable level of autonomy before the rest of the industry it will be a money printing machine for at least a few years.

Uber is currently charging an average of $2 per mile. If a Model 3 in the Tesla Network charges $1 per mile, averages 15 miles per hour, 12 hours per day, 320 days per year one car will generate revenue of $57,600 per year. Loup Ventures' Gene Munster estimated Tesla's costs under this scenario would reduce net profit to $32,000 per year. Tesla's Multi-Billion Dollar Ride-Sharing Opportunity | Loup Ventures

A Tesla owner who had a car in the system part-time and shared revenues with Tesla would obviously generate less profit, but it's easy to see how an owner might offset the costs of ownership and make a profit.

While it's a fair question whether Tesla will be first to self driving, I think it is pretty clear that if it is it will be profitable for Tesla and Tesla owners who participate in the Tesla Network.

I've been scanning these forums for something like the article you mention before posting my own. Glad I finally found one! I'll be reading it now.
The profit potential really is staggering and I'm honestly surprised more people aren't giddy with excitement over it. It's a pretty exciting time!

As for the questions about insurance, Elon was asked that direct question during autonomy day, and he said "Probably Tesla would be liable" but details will come later I'm sure.

Playing devil's advocate here. Why should I pay to insure a driverless car when I am not driving or being a passenger? Unlike current state of driving where the human driver is responsible for the action, why should the owner be liable for an accident caused by a self driving car whose skill is not trained by the owner, but by the people who develop the car? Shouldn't the OEM ultimately be held liable?

I would have it insured for a few reasons. One, it's your car and all cars need insurance. Two, it's your property, and just like if someone slips and falls on the icy sidewalk to your front door can sue you, people who get injured by your vehicle could do the same, so it's important to protect your assets as a business owner. Every car would be a business, effectively.

Either you believe it or you don’t is true.

That said no need to buy anything for many of us. We bought into this already in 2016 and are waiting...

The man has said many, many things.

Fair response - we agree to be different in our levels of trust.

Wasn't Tesla sued for not meeting some capabilities on the S? I think that point was already made here, but unless Tesla doesn't learn from its mistakes, and the fact that data accumulation is on the rise along with continuous learning improvement strategies, then probability of success is higher now.

I'm prepared to be amazed because I have already been amazed several times in just 1 year. THAT's what I enjoy most about the future and technology. Like getting the first B&W TV and waiting for the Color version.

Life is all about the journey. Our Model 3 takes us there.

Fair response - we agree to be different in our levels of trust.

Wasn't Tesla sued for not meeting some capabilities on the S? I think that point was already made here, but unless Tesla doesn't learn from its mistakes, and the fact that data accumulation is on the rise along with continuous learning improvement strategies, then probability of success is higher now.

I'm prepared to be amazed because I have already been amazed several times in just 1 year. THAT's what I enjoy most about the future and technology. Like getting the first B&W TV and waiting for the Color version.

Life is all about the journey. Our Model 3 takes us there.[
I am buying the CHEAPEST Tesla I can right now only because of FSD. I believe the resale value of my car will increase the closer we get to FSD for ride hailing. I do taxes for a living and right now I have a bit of spare time. I just have to drive for Uber about 15 hours a week or so to pay the car payment. It might be fun and will keep me in a great position for FSD for ride hailing when it does happen. I believe the cost of FSD will rise from the present $8,000 as it becomes better and better. Time is money and everyone has to sleep. If you can accomplish this while driving it has to be worth a lot to you. I live in Stockton California and 65,000 of my neighbors have a 3 to 5 hour commute every day to the Bay Area. That 20 hours a week of you life TOTALLY WASTED. FSD is the savior.

Not much in this thread. The man said it would happen. I might have to supervise a while longer than projected... so? And maybe not for some things.

Go ahead, buy another horse. Those are the options. You either believe it or you don't.
I don't know where everybody gets $10,000 a year profit on a car when FSD is legal. At the present Uber prices and your car went 24/7 you would make closer to $30,000 AT THE BEGINNING when you a competing with human Uber drivers. Lot's of people would rather not have anybody in the car once they gain the trust of autopilot, especially if they can hop in the drivers seat. Think about it, when legal FSD happens and nobody is in the car most people will have the choice of an UBER driver that is a stranger or a Tesla with autopilot as a guardian angel that they could drive themselves. Demand and price for Tesla would explode and demand for Uber drivers would disappear overnight.

I don't know where everybody gets $10,000 a year profit on a car when FSD is legal. At the present Uber prices and your car went 24/7 you would make closer to $30,000 AT THE BEGINNING when you a competing with human Uber drivers.

FYI, the $10K annual income calculation came from ARK investment (not sure the conditions).
The $30K number came from Tesla based on a calculation using the car 50% in-network. So in high demand locations, it may be possible to get more than $30K if the car were in service say 80% with the rest for charging/cleaning. This is an interesting business model with high ROI. At some point, the cost of FSD might become subscription based because it would be too expensive to own. And that's the part that drives the car value up instead of down over time - or at least slows depreciation because everything wears out (at least that's what we tell the IRS).

Reactions: BOBTHEJOCKEY