Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wish List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take this a step further...

Do you think that the reservation list will be opened up to current Tesla Owners (for a limited time) prior to being opened up to the general public?...I mean it does feel like it would be "the right thing" for Tesla to do imo...

That would be nice but at the same time I can see not playing favorites on the mass market car. Maybe first dibs if there is a Signature series?

That would be nice but at the same time I can see not playing favorites on the mass market car. Maybe first dibs if there is a Signature series?

I think it would be appropriate to offer "Signature Series" models to current owners, but if the Gen-III is being positioned to be more of a mass-market model, I don't think it should be too exclusive. I would like a crack at getting one of the first 10,000 models, assuming the price isn't too exorbitant.

I'm getting into the first 40,000 for sure and maybe hold two reservations, one for a Sig and one for a General Production. Will discard the sig if the pricing and options turn out to be not worth it.

First 40k or so because that's when I'm predicting that Tesla would hit 200,000 cars produced in all (Roadster, S, X and G3); buyers would then no longer be eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit.

I'm getting into the first 40,000 for sure and maybe hold two reservations, one for a Sig and one for a General Production. Will discard the sig if the pricing and options turn out to be not worth it.

First 40k or so because that's when I'm predicting that Tesla would hit 200,000 cars produced in all (Roadster, S, X and G3); buyers would then no longer be eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit.

Honestly, my interest is not necessarily contingent on a tax credit or even carpool lane access. I'm already in a carpool, and will probably continue to drive with the carpool even if I do get one. In terms of the tax credit, sure, it would be icing on the cake, but assuming I could afford the car without the credit, I'd probably still buy one.

My personal wish is for a Tesla Epsilon EC P135+ AWD Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors. But that will be a high end version of the GIII.

I think the entry level version of the car at $34,900 will be as capable as a BMW 335i, as well appointed as a Toyota Camry LE. Supercharging will be a $2000 option on that 60 kWh vehicle with Rear Wheel Drive.

The next step up would have an 85 kWh battery pack capacity and would also be Rear Wheel Drive for $42,900 and Supercharging included.

Beyond that would be an 85 kWh version with All Wheel Drive capability for $47,900 with Supercharging.

Finally, there would be a Performance version with All Wheel Drive for $54,900 also with Supercharging and a maximum spec battery pack, hopefully at 135 kWh capacity or better.

Please note that the entry level car would have a 0-60 of about 4.5 seconds, a top speed of 130 mph, and a cruising range of 250 miles. Also, its 60 kWh battery pack could be unlocked to become an 85 kWh battery pack for an additional fee.

My personal wish is for a Tesla Epsilon EC P135+ AWD Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors. But that will be a high end version of the GIII.

I think the entry level version of the car at $34,900 will be as capable as a BMW 335i, as well appointed as a Toyota Camry LE. Supercharging will be a $2000 option on that 60 kWh vehicle with Rear Wheel Drive.

The next step up would have an 85 kWh battery pack capacity and would also be Rear Wheel Drive for $42,900 and Supercharging included.

Beyond that would be an 85 kWh version with All Wheel Drive capability for $47,900 with Supercharging.

Finally, there would be a Performance version with All Wheel Drive for $54,900 also with Supercharging and a maximum spec battery pack, hopefully at 135 kWh capacity or better.

Please note that the entry level car would have a 0-60 of about 4.5 seconds, a top speed of 130 mph, and a cruising range of 250 miles. Also, its 60 kWh battery pack could be unlocked to become an 85 kWh battery pack for an additional fee.

I'll take the 85 with all wheel, and may have to add some options.

My two requirements are as follows. Without them, it's a no-go.
- Pass the *cello test. (explained below)
- 200+ miles of real world range. In my perspective, the MS85 meets this requirement, the MS60 does not. I would actually prefer 300+ miles, but I recognize that the chances of this are unlikely.

I'm not interested in air suspension, auto-extending door handles, or panoramic roof. I'd be OK with any acceleration at or better than 0-60 in 8 seconds. It's probably easier and cheaper to ramp that up in an EV than an ICE, but that is not something I want to spend extra money on if I don't have to. Note that if it is slower than 0-60 in 8 seconds then it is too slow. I would also prefer front-wheel drive, but won't complain if it's not.

As for the cello test, I am a professional cellist. In any car I purchase, I need to be able to easily fit my cello into the car, preferably in the back seat. This rules out any 2-door car, and it can't be any narrower than my current vehicle, a 2002 Saturn SL2 (my Saturn barely passes the test, but it does pass).

I know this is unlikely, as we don't have it in the Model S, but I really hope to see a spare tire in any vehicle I drive. And not one of those useless donuts, either.

my wishlist
- actually below $35k and $50k fully loaded. Tesla doesn't have a good history of predicting price for their future model. Model S was surpose to be the $50k car, end up being $75k-$120k
- personally I think $35k is still regarded as high end small car. The price is still too high for mass market, so Tesla should work towards making it even cheaper
- Most importantly, I hope Model 3 doesn't look like a smaller Model S. If you put them side by side, buyers of Model 3 will look at it as the cheaper/smaller Model S. Buyers will view it as the inferior product.
Model 3 will need its own unique look. Buyers who buy Model 3 need to feel like they bought it because they like the new look, not because they couldn't afford Model S

Model S was surpose to be the $50k car, end up being $75k-$120k

Well, the did have a model (40kWh) that was sold for < $50K in NA at the introduction - after the the federal tax exempt. My guess is that they introduced the 40kWh model just to meet the promised price point. And as long as the base version at the base price is a usable car, there is nothing wrong to add a lot of options that may get the price up "over the roof". No price is promised for the "top of the line".

- personally I think $35k is still regarded as high end small car. The price is still too high for mass market, ...

You got a point here, but... What Tesla tries to do is to show everybody - and the auto-industry in particular - that an EV dos not have to be an "eco box". And it's positioned to compete directly with BMW 3-series. That dictates to a great part both the price-point and how it will be designed and equipped. There is a lot of others that is competing in the "eco box" segment, no need for Tesla to enter this marked at this point. And when you calculate the savings of driving an EV vs a fossilfuel car, it does in fact compete with cars with a lower price.

- Most importantly, I hope Model 3 doesn't look like a smaller Model S. If you put them side by side, buyers of Model 3 will look at it as the cheaper/smaller Model S. Buyers will view it as the inferior product.
Model 3 will need its own unique look. Buyers who buy Model 3 need to feel like they bought it because they like the new look, not because they couldn't afford Model S

First: Don't worry, they have promised that this wish will become true :) But personly I wold not had any problem with it being an small version of the MS. The MS is a big car, and it is not a problem to defend buying a smaller more practical car at a lower price point. BMW have no problem selling the 3-series but that looks like a smaller/cheaper version of the 5-series that looks like a smaller cheaper version of the 7-series.... When you buy a car you pick it based on what you need, what you want and what you can afford (and for some - what they want to show others :p )

The key word is... 'affordable'. Note that the current average price of a new car is already over $31,000. So it is likely to be closer to $35,000 by 2017. When you consider that a Tesla Model ☰ at $34,900 would include Supercharging... Over the period of five to eight years, it would cost less to own and operate than a Toyota Camry LE that cost around $23,000. You'd get a better car, with a better driving experience, while spending tremendously less for fuel, or nothing at all if you have solar panels at home.

As for styling... I find it interesting how no one complains about how much the Jetta looks like the Passat... Or that the BMW 3-Series looks like the 5-Series and 7-Series... Or that the Volvo S60 looks like the S80... Or that the AUDI A4 looks like the A6, A7, A8...

The Tesla Model ☰ will not look like a 'mini-me' version of the Model S. It will obviously be 'part of the family', but definitely not a runt clone. it will be... beautiful. It will NOT look like a Ford Focus Electric or a Fiat 500e.

Again, it is the Model 3. What not call the BMW 3 series the ☰ series then? Because BMW calls it the 3 series and Tesla calls it the Model 3. Sure, Tesla may end up calling it the Model ☰ on the back of the car but I bet when they print it on their website or anywhere else it will be the Model3.

Last edited:
Agreed. Nissan just canceled their 2 door Altima coupe this year because sales were so bad compared to the sedan. The coupe only accounted for 3% of the total Altima sales. The sedan crushed the coupe in sales.

Yes, but that's Nissan. You see a lot of Honda Accord Coupes and BMW 3 and now 4 series coupes. The MS already has a small door opening - and that's a big car. I sure hope Tesla offers a 2-door coupe for the Model 3 and eventually the MS.

Let it go, Dave, let it go :)

Dave has a point as it messes up the ability to search (which we should bear in mind when we're covering active sections on Model S and Model X and Model 3). Google doesn't recognize "Model ≡" so it just searches for "Model" which means that no-one will be able to find specific search results if everyone keeps using ≡.

Also, for those of us who often use iPad there's no way to type ≡ so making it impossible to search TMC on the subject. :frown:

dsm363: If it helps the debate at all, I doubt anyone is searching for my posts anyway. ;-) Besides, if you'll note the title of this thread...? It is written the way you prefer, and Google will find it just fine.

NigelM: You can type the emblem on an iPad using Unicode, if you want.

James Anders: Agreed. We really need a coupe for Model ≡. I'm afraid that sales of sedans, wagons, and crossovers will reign supreme though. Since this is meant to be a platform