Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 5 and 3 year old and the flat floor makes it really nice for getting them in and out of the same door. I usually have them both get in on the curb. The 5 year old starts her buckling on the drivers side while I buckle in the 3 year old. Then I go over to the drivers side and check her buckles and do a tighten. Of note I'm not sure if I would like the model 3 if one was still rear facing.

2 dionos front facing. The only downside is that backrow headrests don't move. So the upper anchor is not available if you have only a single latch. With a double you can go both side of the headrest.
When I first tried to install the seats, this was a bummer, especially doing that under rain...
I didn't attached the upper anchor but used the back seat belt instead to double the attachment with the classic downside anchors.

More data points-
5yo + 7yo, went from having Clek Foonf and Oobr and going with 2 Oobrs.
I put a 2 in. Solid Seat belt extender for the buckle receptacle as the seatbelt receivers are lodged deep in the seat and made it hard to self-buckle and unbuckle. Also the kids won’t scratch the white seats anymore when missing the buckle receptacle.
Btw I’m amazed at how well the white seats hold up. Every couple months I clean it up w vacuum and white damp rag (I have protectors under and behind the car seats)

More data points-
5yo + 7yo, went from having Clek Foonf and Oobr and going with 2 Oobrs.
I put a 2 in. Solid Seat belt extender for the buckle receptacle as the seatbelt receivers are lodged deep in the seat and made it hard to self-buckle and unbuckle. Also the kids won’t scratch the white seats anymore when missing the buckle receptacle.
Btw I’m amazed at how well the white seats hold up. Every couple months I clean it up w vacuum and white damp rag (I have protectors under and behind the car seats)

Which selt belt extenders work for you out of interest?

Our kids are older now (10, 7, 5, 5), but I fit 4 kids in the car to take them to school. The youngest 3 are in boosters, so I have purchased the narrowest ones possible. I just buckle all 3 seats in myself without the kids in the car, then pull the slack out in the seatbelts, then jump in and tighten everything up. The older kid (10) sits in the front seat.

It is not super ideal, but the middle kids will be out of a booster in ~1.5 years, so then everything will be much easier. We have a 3rd row SUV for all large trips, so the Tesla is used for around town and commuting 99% of the time.

The trunk is bigger than you expect, as I can fit an entire baseball catcher gear bag (it is a huge bag), multiple chairs, cooler etc in the back, and not even load up the frunk.

• Informative
Reactions: JFChenger
Circumstances have me re-evaluating my Model 3 reservation. For those with young kids, or those expecting -- how do you anticipate the size of the M3 will work for you?

Also, for those with the model S as well...how does the sunroof work out for kids with rear facing carseats? is the tinting enough where the sun isn't a b!tch?

This wouldn't be the primary family car, but will need to accomodate kids so for the next 5-8 years so i want to make sure it's a good fit. I'm confident in the safety of the car, but could use some wisdom on the joys and struggles of having kids and driving a sedan. Thanks!

I have two small kids and it works fine. Three kids - I think will not fit.

The glass roof can create an uncomfortable hot spot in the back, that's why I bought the roof shade. Also, tinting the side windows helps.

2 dionos front facing. The only downside is that backrow headrests don't move. So the upper anchor is not available if you have only a single latch. With a double you can go both side of the headrest.
No upper anchor doesn't sound safe, even with a seat belt install. The manual suggest routing a single upper anchor belt around the outside of the headrest. That worked with my son's Harmony carseat.
Screenshot_20191216-130515_Drive.jpg

IMO, this is a TERRIBLE car for kids. My 6 and 10 year olds are constantly telling me, "Go fast!" I'm sure i'll get numerous speeding tickets with them in the back seat. Aside from that, it's fine. They fit without any issues. The only real problem is not having a wifi router built in for tablets/old phones, but you can get around that too.

Exactly. The Caraoke system is producing a lot of fights too(both for song choice and fighting to be in the middle seat in the back). What strange times we live in!

When I first tried to install the seats, this was a bummer, especially doing that under rain...
I didn't attached the upper anchor but used the back seat belt instead to double the attachment with the classic downside anchors.
I looked in the manual and it has a diagram for placing upper anchor with one latch. Think it should be lateral to the headrest on the door side, but double check.

i have 2 forward facing highback boosters for my 4 and 5yo, they get in and out with ease in the car and ever since adding the 2' solid seatbelt extender the buckling part has gotten much easier. without the buckle receiver was always hard for them to click into.

just remember in most other countries in the world, the model3 is considered quite a large car. I find it weird in the US how as soon as someone has their first child they rush out and buy a 7 seater behemouth because.. children? That being said, I can imagine the main challenge is fitting a stroller in the trunk , specifically getting it in the opening which can be a little narrow (this is why hatchback cars are so much more popular in Europe). I have two kids, 9 and 12 and more than enough space for everyone. I wouldn't hesitate to take them on a long distance drive. Only issue taking them camping is not being able to fit a decent sized cool in the trunk (due to that narrow opening).

Reactions: megant113