Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have twins in forward facing seats and are waiting arrival of M3 expected before the end of the month. We do go on some long journeys (eg to Scotland and France) lugging a lot of stuff. Hoping to avoid roof rack with roof box as the storage space in litres is more than that of a Nissan Quasqai.

DA60C837-F3CB-4372-9ECF-9C33EF29C58E.jpeg
We have 3 car seats in the back of our ‘19 model 3. It’s tight, but it works just fine.

We have twins in forward facing seats and are waiting arrival of M3 expected before the end of the month. We do go on some long journeys (eg to Scotland and France) lugging a lot of stuff. Hoping to avoid roof rack with roof box as the storage space in litres is more than that of a Nissan Quasqai.
We have twins as well and a 3 year old. You are going to love it.

Circumstances have me re-evaluating my Model 3 reservation. For those with young kids, or those expecting -- how do you anticipate the size of the M3 will work for you?

Also, for those with the model S as well...how does the sunroof work out for kids with rear facing carseats? is the tinting enough where the sun isn't a b!tch?

This wouldn't be the primary family car, but will need to accomodate kids so for the next 5-8 years so i want to make sure it's a good fit. I'm confident in the safety of the car, but could use some wisdom on the joys and struggles of having kids and driving a sedan. Thanks!

we have an x and 3. For kids the x is so much easier. We have young kids, getting kids into car seats through the wider and taller aperture is easier on your back. Easier to change diapers in the back as well.

if this isn’t meant to be a primary driver for kids, 3 will work fine. But will have some bending over to get kids in depending on size of kids. Also consider stroller size, our uppababy tends to take up most of the trunk room in the 3, so Costco runs will be limited if you are getting diapers and wipes.

If you kids are older than diaper stage and sit in forward car seats it should be much better.

I know how this feels. We have a 13 and a 10. Thought we were all done and bam, my wife got pregnant and now we have an infant. I still have my m3 but my wife went from a q5 to a minivan. Life...it’s full of surprises.

I still love my m3 and I will make it work but with a teenager and soon to be teenager, room becomes a bit tight.

2 young kids and a 40lb dog and regular week long trips to the cottage and back. We used to have trouble fitting everyone in our VW wagon, but the 3 takes it like a champ. Usable space is very good. Though, ultimately, if you run out of space you find out what you actually need vs just want. More space just makes it easier to be lazy at packing ;)

I got the Model 3 with a 6 and 4 year old. As we all know on delivery there were a few minor defects, but you couldn't really tell unless you knew where to look. Since I realized that after 2 weeks my kids will have destroyed the rear doors with their scratches and paw prints I wasn't going to be worried. Sure enough it's been almost a year and my rear doors and even front have great finger nail scratches around the handle due to my wife and kids. As long as you accept that up front, everything will be fine. We have no problems with 3 to 5 hour car trips, enjoy the car. ;)

Circumstances have me re-evaluating my Model 3 reservation. For those with young kids, or those expecting -- how do you anticipate the size of the M3 will work for you?

Also, for those with the model S as well...how does the sunroof work out for kids with rear facing carseats? is the tinting enough where the sun isn't a b!tch?

This wouldn't be the primary family car, but will need to accomodate kids so for the next 5-8 years so i want to make sure it's a good fit. I'm confident in the safety of the car, but could use some wisdom on the joys and struggles of having kids and driving a sedan. Thanks!

I have 2nd thoughts if I should have gone with model S P100D... ludicrous mode, roomier etc but too heavy to my taste.

• Disagree
Reactions: JakeJS

I have a nephew that ride in my tesla all the time in the back and he seems like enjoy the ride. The model three is roomier than i expected.

model 3 feels a bit roomier then S (esp. w/ glass roof). More frunk space in S though if you travel heavy

I have 3 young kids and:

My Britax car seats fits perfectly...

1. While driving in the snow, the Model 3 is THE safest automobile. Drives in snow like BUTTER, better than any 4-Wheel ICE sedan.
2. If we were ever in a accident such as T-Bone, I would know that my kids will be safe.
3. If I needed to pop in to store, knowing my (13 years old was inside) the younger ones and DOG Mode and 70 degree protection... it a Tesla Gift to have a feature.
4. I could Safely warmup or cool down the Model 3 in the garage and NEVER fear carbon monoxide deaths with the kids.
5. When exploring all over USA, having FSD makes me less prone to fatigue and makes me know that I will not put my kids in danger driving tired.
6. When my oldest child is ready to drive in 4+ years, I would know they are driving the smartest and safest car as a hand me down automobile. I would hope the software updates will continue to have Limits that I can add. Currently, I limit the speed, know the location, know the battery level, etc all remotely and know a new teenage kids is safe.
7. When they turn on the internal camera, I “May” be able to see the kids without turning my head... lets hope..
8. IF Tesla Taxi Network, I am hoping...I could send my car to pickup home for my wife to use it for after school pickups. Then send the Model 3 back to my office in the evening.
9. Opps, when My kids drive in the future, they will NOT need to go to any gas stations, charge in the garage daily. They will hardly travel more than 310 miles a day until they finish college. They already know to charge their Kindle Fire tablets daily.

In short, think about your kids safety and growing into the future.

Last edited:
I’ve got front-facing and rear-facing car seats on the back of my Model 3, for my two kids. Fits perfectly. It’s tough getting them in/out, but only because the Model 3 has the ride height of a sedan and not SUV. Trunk space in the Model 3 is tough though because of the way it opens, though I can still fit a stroller back there. The flat floor in the back of the Model 3 helps with and creates more room for putting cargo/stuff on the floor.

As for the sun - I considered getting the OEM Tesla roof shades, but the factory tint on the roof/glass is very effective at limiting the sun’s heat and brightness. This is even during the 90+ degree days here in SoCal. Also, you can use the Tesla app to cool the interior of your car before you get in, so that helps too when your car has been sitting out in the sun.

5. When exploring all over USA, having FSD makes me less prone to fatigue and makes me know that I will not put my kids in danger driving tired.

In short, think about your kids safety and growing into the future.
Two very important points to note:

1. Your car does not have Full Self Drive. It has some driver assist features. Relying on them for times when you are tired is just plain dangerous. Please don’t do it.

2. If you are tired, go somewhere and take a rest. As someone who totaled their car in the past from drowsy driving, you don’t know it until it’s too late. This is your family, and worst case scenario is that you survive a terrible accident and they don’t.

Our only family car is an early-model Civic sedan. Our family of four did a 4300 km road trip this past summer without issue. I'm banking on the Model 3 being roof rack compatible so when we have three kids we can still take longer trips and bring fun toys like bikes, etc. Elon has stated (and it is easily believable) that three car seats across should be do-able in the Model 3 so long as narrow seats are selected.

Off topic: Children death rates and injury rates have dropped significantly as car seats have improved and are used more. I don't consider that 'mollycoddling' personally. Our kids will be in some sort of car seat until they are double-digits in age. Why not?

I know I am responding to a necro’ed thread but for future readers....

Height and weight are the key factors, not age. Some kids like my coworker’s son are 5 feet tall and over 100 lbs when they are 9 yo while other like my daughter are very short and light.

i have 2 kids, my model 3 is after an audi a3 2012. So they are already accustomed to not mnay room behing me (driver seat).
But the younger, which it appears will not be very tall, is behind me. The older ans taller is behind the passenger seat.

Living in snowy winter I quickly "kid proof" the car : screen protection for fingerprints and backseat protectors to avoid salt on the back of the front seats. obviously weather mats at the reard too.

But for the rest, they love the acceleration, don't we all, and watching the screen. (And the rainbow cowbell perks).
yesterday we parked at a supercharger and they were able to watch some of their cartoons. they loved it.

They even don't want to jump in my wife's car anymore (mazda 3 2010)... nor does she loool.

So far, It is a success.

My older kids sit in a booster and he can buckle himself fine
however my 2 year old always refuses to get into his car seat
Our back hurt sometimes, We thought changing from rear facing to front facing would be better
It’s actually worst, coz the roof sloping downward and we have to bend our backs further down

We use Clek car seats

How do you manage strollers with 3 young kids in the Model 3? Is there enough room in the trunk?
I am GUESSING (what I would do anyways) is they still have one stroller.. two infants in the one double stroller and FF kid walking or stroller board for long walks?

I put our stroller in the trunk all the time and have no problem because the trunk goes so far forward it swallows the stroller..

for us we have a 65lb dog and two kids in giant car seats in the back. It’s tight but I place a bag in the footwell level with the seat so the dog has a little extra support. Bag is usually full of extra clothes blankets towels or whatever seems useful for that trip. Middle kid always complains about dog until they all finally settle down for the ride.