Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y feature superiority versus X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate everyone's thoughts and replies to this thread. I ended up trading my 2017 X 75D for a demo 2020 X Long Range Plus 6 seater with FSD. It had 300 miles on it so Tesla adjusted it down $3,300. That, with the $5,000.00 price reduction and still getting free supercharging since it was an inventory car, seemed to make sense and work out. So far, I love the new car! Little things here and there that are definitely better. And I can definitely notice the Raven suspension, even with the black 22s the ride quality and handling is really something special.

Congrats! The air suspension will be more comfortable and you will be able to utilize the 3rd row with all of the space in between the 2nd row seats.

i find these comparative posts helpful, including yours. However, shouldn’t it be obvious that a car that costs twice as much be a lot “better” overall?

I would love an X for my family but can’t get myself to spend that much. We will probably get a loaded highlander or something similar for the family car and possibly a Model Y for me.

I don't disagree with you. The X should be better in every way as it is more expensive, but I can also tell you that isn't the case either. At the end of the day, you have to see what car you like more. If you go on the 3/Y forum, I think they will lean on one side. The X/S guys will lean the other.

Reactions: VikH
As an MX owner who has driven a M3P and looking at a MYP as a secondary car I've thought about this a lot. In my opinion there is no feature superiority when comparing the X to a Y. It's all about cost and range efficiency. Everything else in a MX is superior. I feel like people seriously underrate the major differences. Automatic doors is a high-end luxury car feature. Adaptive air suspension is a huge upgrade in ride quality. Aluminum vs. Steel construction. People focus on the latest software/firmware/charging tech but in reality some of those are upgradable meanwhile they will never make another car with hardware like the X again. Or perhaps I'm just a biased X owner.

My take,

Have a 19 MX LR and just took delivery of a MY LR for spouse.

X
More comfortable
Prefer the 2 screens
Ride is more comfortable with adaptive suspension
The self presenting doors
Huge front windshield. Unique

Y
Phone key
Surprised how big it is. Comfortable for 4
Looks sportier
Glass roof is nice

Enjoy both cars. Can't really go wrong with either one.

My take,

Have a 19 MX LR and just took delivery of a MY LR for spouse.

X
More comfortable
Prefer the 2 screens
Ride is more comfortable with adaptive suspension
The self presenting doors
Huge front windshield. Unique

Y
Phone key
Surprised how big it is. Comfortable for 4
Looks sportier
Glass roof is nice

Enjoy both cars. Can't really go wrong with either one.

What makes the Model X more comfortable (besides air suspension)?
Do you notice more 2nd row leg room in the MY? There are supposed to a few more inches of leg room in the Model Y vs. X.
Would be great to hear about a range/efficiency comparison once you have more miles on the MY.

I've been reading about the phone key for the 3 & Y. Can someone please school me? Isn't that the same as the app? or do you not need the app to lock/unlock and drive your car?

I've used the app on my S & X several times before and while it's more cumbersome than a FOB, it can lock/unlock and do keyless driving in a pinch.

With the phone key (on the 3 / Y), while you can open the app to unlock the car, etc you do not need to do so.

The beauty of phone key is that it allows you to simply keep the phone in your pocket, walk up to the car, the doors unlock, open the door, and drive away. And when you leave, you just get out and walk away and the car locks.

Reactions: gigawatt1010
Appreciate everyone's thoughts and replies to this thread. I ended up trading my 2017 X 75D for a demo 2020 X Long Range Plus 6 seater with FSD. It had 300 miles on it so Tesla adjusted it down $3,300. That, with the $5,000.00 price reduction and still getting free supercharging since it was an inventory car, seemed to make sense and work out. So far, I love the new car! Little things here and there that are definitely better. And I can definitely notice the Raven suspension, even with the black 22s the ride quality and handling is really something special.

Can you go into more detail on how you find the new car better than your X75? Acceleration, noise, etc.

With the phone key (on the 3 / Y), while you can open the app to unlock the car, etc you do not need to do so.

The beauty of phone key is that it allows you to simply keep the phone in your pocket, walk up to the car, the doors unlock, open the door, and drive away. And when you leave, you just get out and walk away and the car locks.

Got it! Thanks @Birdman325

Except it only works 80% of the time

Reactions: KentuckyX
Except it only works 80% of the time
As someone who just went from a Model 3 to a Model X, I’ve got to say, this answer is spot on. Unless my phone was actually in my hand, I could RARELY open the door without getting my phone out of my back pocket. In the winter, when my phone tends to stay in the side pocket of my jacket or coat, the car would unlock. So while I thought I’d seriously miss that aspect of the 3, I can say emphatically, I do not.

@mattack4000 = I guess it's on par with the app's reliability. As we all know, the app relies on your phone's connectivity as well as the car's connectivity. Nothing is more frustrating on a hot summer day when you try to pre-cool the cabin and you can't connect. You have to walk into a hot steaming car - oh the horror!!! LOL

So based on your responses - the traditional key fob still rules! Glad to know.

As someone who just went from a Model 3 to a Model X, I’ve got to say, this answer is spot on. Unless my phone was actually in my hand, I could RARELY open the door without getting my phone out of my back pocket. In the winter, when my phone tends to stay in the side pocket of my jacket or coat, the car would unlock. So while I thought I’d seriously miss that aspect of the 3, I can say emphatically, I do not.

This seems to be very YMMV. I haven't had an issue when driving a family members M3P.

Also, why not just buy the keyfob for the 3/Y? Doesn't that solve that potential issue?

I have a Stealth Performance 3 that I am trading in on Monday, for a Raven Performance X.

If it was just me and the wife, I'd stick with the 3.

But it's us, a 60lb Coonhound, a 30lb Beagle, and now...a 7 month old baby...and all the stuff that needs to be hauled around on road trips.

The 3 was tolerable on any drive under 2 hours with everyone in the car. But anything that required more than a diaper bag, and it started to feel cramped.

Can you go into more detail on how you find the new car better than your X75? Acceleration, noise, etc.

Sure, now that I've driven it a few hundred miles. The biggest change is the suspension. I went from 20" wheels in my 2017 to 22s in this one and despite the larger size the ride is very soft and compliant. Just handles better overall. It is slightly faster when you hit the accelerator but not hugely faster, the 75D was already pretty fast.

This one has a lot of new creature comforts my old one didn't have. Self presenting doors, heated steering wheel, all 6 seats heated instead of just the front seats, feels more like a true luxury car. The computer speed difference is night and day as well.

Oh, I had leather seats in my old car but they didn't hold up well. The new car has redesigned vegan seats and I find them more comfortable.

And, of course... 351 mi of range instead of 237 :) pretty big difference...
feels like they have made a lot of incremental improvements over the years and its just a better made car now.

• Informative
Reactions: gigawatt1010
Sure, now that I've driven it a few hundred miles. The biggest change is the suspension. I went from 20" wheels in my 2017 to 22s in this one and despite the larger size the ride is very soft and compliant. Just handles better overall. It is slightly faster when you hit the accelerator but not hugely faster, the 75D was already pretty fast.

This one has a lot of new creature comforts my old one didn't have. Self presenting doors, heated steering wheel, all 6 seats heated instead of just the front seats, feels more like a true luxury car. The computer speed difference is night and day as well.

Oh, I had leather seats in my old car but they didn't hold up well. The new car has redesigned vegan seats and I find them more comfortable.

And, of course... 351 mi of range instead of 237 :) pretty big difference...
feels like they have made a lot of incremental improvements over the years and its just a better made car now.

Thanks. I really appreciate your comments.

My lease on the 2018 X75 is up in 10 months and am trying to decide on the another X or a Model Y. We already had MCU 2 so the display speed has always been fast. But I went cheap and did not order the PUP. Looking forward to getting more range no matter which way I go. Not sure I would pay for the new wheels, but maybe I can snag a demo like you did.

Reactions: geddon_jt
I have a Stealth Performance 3 that I am trading in on Monday, for a Raven Performance X.

If it was just me and the wife, I'd stick with the 3.

But it's us, a 60lb Coonhound, a 30lb Beagle, and now...a 7 month old baby...and all the stuff that needs to be hauled around on road trips.

The 3 was tolerable on any drive under 2 hours with everyone in the car. But anything that required more than a diaper bag, and it started to feel cramped.

If you got the 6 seat, your 60lb Coonhound will enjoy the floor space between the 2 middle row seats. Our 110lb GSD puppy does. He's nestled pretty snug in there.