Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been dealing with a modern softer suspension, VIN ~9000, but it makes a noise on speed bumps. Only the front driver's side. I took it in and they replaced the parts but the symptom did not go away. They told me they had used the part version D and would have to wait for a new revision to try again. I just was at the opening of the new Fremont service facility and they said the version E is out and ordered it for me.

It's an odd issue, really ONLY hear it on speed bumps, but it's a new car, I spent all my savings on, I'll be happy to have it perfect. The rear passenger door handle sticks open too, hopefully, it will all be perfect soon. They did replace the missing bolt on the bottom of the car, I wouldn't have discovered if I hadn't taken off the rear bumper to put on the trailer hitch. OK, that's all the issues the car came with.

-Randy
That little clunk noise is on both of my Model 3's. With something like this, I prefer to wait several months before even bringing it up with Tesla so that they have a definite fix.

That little clunk noise is on both of my Model 3's. With something like this, I prefer to wait several months before even bringing it up with Tesla so that they have a definite fix.
I think I may have the same issue on this. It seems like it’s coming from the front driver side. Does it also
I have been dealing with a modern softer suspension, VIN ~9000, but it makes a noise on speed bumps. Only the front driver's side. I took it in and they replaced the parts but the symptom did not go away. They told me they had used the part version D and would have to wait for a new revision to try again. I just was at the opening of the new Fremont service facility and they said the version E is out and ordered it for me.

It's an odd issue, really ONLY hear it on speed bumps, but it's a new car, I spent all my savings on, I'll be happy to have it perfect. The rear passenger door handle sticks open too, hopefully, it will all be perfect soon. They did replace the missing bolt on the bottom of the car, I wouldn't have discovered if I hadn't taken off the rear bumper to put on the trailer hitch. OK, that's all the issues the car came with.

-Randy
I think I may have the same issue on this. It seems like it’s coming from the front driver side and almost seems like a rattle when over broken roads. Initially brought it into service and they said my 12v battery was not strapped tightly, so they tightened it. However, noise is still there.

Can you let us know how the new revision part E works out for you?

Just another datapoint: Got my May build Model 3 last week and the suspension feels super smooth and comfortable. Definitely less sporty and maybe a touch slower than my modified 2008 e90 335i with 10 yr old sport suspension. I like it though. With all the potholes in Houston and maybe getting older, touch more comfort is appreciated.

After having driven my M3 for about 10 days now, I can't see anything objectionable about the ride quality. I'm assuming my M3 has the "improved" suspension, but I don't know how to check this definitively. I can't compare it with any other Tesla's, but the suspension feels a bit tighter than my 2016 Lexus IS 200T. Overall, the handling feels pretty similar to that car, which is fine by me, I love driving the Lexus! The curb weight is pretty comparable. Of course, the M3 out accelerates the Lexus by a large margin, but that's to be expected. Tire noise is definitely more noticeable on the M3, but not objectionable IMO.

Kirk

Unfortunately for all the fantastic benefits of the electric drive train, Tesla suspensions are not leading edge. I also have an extreme performance car, that can ride like a Rolls, but still handles amazingly on track.
So your saying that a car with a base price of 289k has a better suspension than a car with a base price of 61k? huh......? odd......
Looking at the specs its actually faster and corners harder........wow!......I did not expect that..!
All kidding aside that is a sweet set up and an awesome car, and although I do not have the means to own one of those beauties unlike some others you have probably encountered I do not hate you for having one, haha!

Count me among those who are disappointed with the stiffness of the ride. Judging from all the other posts, there really is no other way except tire choice to improve the suspension without spending a whole bunch of money and risking wearing out parts.
Has anyone actually switched tires on the Tesla 3 and seen a significant improvement.
I don't really buy that this is a matter of taste or a subjective measure of what "sporty" is. For a consumer car that is going to be driven on bumpy city roads and not a track, you have to be able to drive without feeling like a bobblehead when you hit some potholes. I know they were cutting costs to go from the S to the 3, but they should have stuck with the S's suspension.

JG

Count me among those who are disappointed with the stiffness of the ride. Judging from all the other posts, there really is no other way except tire choice to improve the suspension without spending a whole bunch of money and risking wearing out parts.
Has anyone actually switched tires on the Tesla 3 and seen a significant improvement.
I don't really buy that this is a matter of taste or a subjective measure of what "sporty" is. For a consumer car that is going to be driven on bumpy city roads and not a track, you have to be able to drive without feeling like a bobblehead when you hit some potholes. I know they were cutting costs to go from the S to the 3, but they should have stuck with the S's suspension.

JG
I believe that you can soften the ride a bit but not significantly by changing to a tire like the Pirelli P7 in a larger size as this tire is rated one of softer riding tires by tire rack, not sure about your wheel size but I have the 19” sport wheels and went with 255/40/19’s in the Continental DWS06 and the ride is a bit softer, probably not as soft as you would want though, you could probably clear a 50 series in the stock width but it would be tight or maybe even go with a 225/50/18 size to be safe in this new tire while probably increasing your range https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...VR8TQTXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes you would have the largest sidewall and most compliant ride without messing with the suspension