Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Photos of the new part numbers off the driver side springs/dampers:

20180409_193947.jpg
20180409_193829.jpg
20180409_193721.jpg

Az rael and others, I am a bit confused. I have an S with coil suspension and test drove my friends Model 3 which was he got delivered about 30 days ago. My S has driven much smoother it feels than the 3. I am wondering if you Az got the switching of suspension parts done at your service station and free under warrenty?? I bet the suspension issue will get better over time. I am deciding whether to sell my 2015 70D and get the 3 or keep my S. Some major reasons why would be to have lower payment and it is easier to get in for my 6'7" frame. The 3 has better initial torque for sure, in time self driving possiblities, creature comforts, better range, ect. My S has beautiful design, more passenger space, free SC, binnacle, ect. Thoughts??

• Informative
Reactions: Henchman
Az rael and others, I am a bit confused. I have an S with coil suspension and test drove my friends Model 3 which was he got delivered about 30 days ago. My S has driven much smoother it feels than the 3. I am wondering if you Az got the switching of suspension parts done at your service station and free under warrenty?? I bet the suspension issue will get better over time. I am deciding whether to sell my 2015 70D and get the 3 or keep my S. Some major reasons why would be to have lower payment and it is easier to get in for my 6'7" frame. The 3 has better initial torque for sure, in time self driving possiblities, creature comforts, better range, ect. My S has beautiful design, more passenger space, free SC, binnacle, ect. Thoughts??

The suspension change was done for free at the service center, however it is only valid for cars built before December 2017 as far as I know. So your friends 3 probably has the “new” suspension if he got it a month ago.

I haven’t ever been in a D Model S with the coils, so it may very well have been smoother than the 3. The D models have different suspension parts than the rear wheel drive cars I believe.

I traded in a non-AP S for my 3, so for me it was a big upgrade. I do like that it is easier to get into, and because it is smaller, it seems more fun to drive. I got used to not having an instrument cluster, and they have made significant useability improvements with the system via software. My annoyances are using the wipers, and the vent controls. Both require a distracting amount of interaction with the screen while driving.

As far as free supercharging, that depends on how much you currently use the superchargers. I hardly use them at all, so paying on long distance trips is no big loss for me. The increased range is awesome. I have done several day trips that would have required charging in my P85, that my 3 didn’t need to stop at all for. My P85 had a 90% charge of 220 miles, and my 3 has a 90% of 275.

Az one last question....do you have the 19" rims or the aero rims? The only 2 Model 3's I have driven were with the 19" rims. I know someone with the 18" so I will test his car out sometime. Thanks !! Live in Massachusetts so the roads out here are Definitely worse than in California...

My April build Model 3 on aeros rides exactly how I would want it to.

It’s much less harsh than the December 2017 car I rented without losing its playful nature on winding roads. Not a plush ride by any means but the car is a dream to drive and athletic without being punishing.

Reactions: Moderatefan
I have two Model 3's. One is VIN 23xx, the other VIN39xx. The earlier car is scheduled for the suspension upgrade. The VIN 39xx already has the updated suspension from the factory. Driving the two cars is night and day. The earlier car feels every crack in the road with a shock. The later car you feel the cracks but barely, and the crack is not shocking, it is nicely damped. Basically, in comparison to my 2013 Model S (coil sprung) the earlier Model 3 is too harsh, the 39xx Model 3 is every bit as good as the Model S. BTW, I prefer the coil sprung Model S over air suspension. I am very much looking forward to the upgrade of my early Model 3 which is slated for a couple of weeks from now.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
I have two Model 3's. One is VIN 23xx, the other VIN39xx. The earlier car is scheduled for the suspension upgrade. The VIN 39xx already has the updated suspension from the factory. Driving the two cars is night and day. The earlier car feels every crack in the road with a shock. The later car you feel the cracks but barely, and the crack is not shocking, it is nicely damped. Basically, in comparison to my 2013 Model S (coil sprung) the earlier Model 3 is too harsh, the 39xx Model 3 is every bit as good as the Model S. BTW, I prefer the coil sprung Model S over air suspension. I am very much looking forward to the upgrade of my early Model 3 which is slated for a couple of weeks from now.

So Gene can you confirm that they are doing the suspension upgrades on the model 3 again? When did you last talk to them. I have inquired twice and have been told that they aren’t able to see details of the Bull item that applies to the model 3 suspension retrofit. Thanks

So Gene can you confirm that they are doing the suspension upgrades on the model 3 again? When did you last talk to them. I have inquired twice and have been told that they aren’t able to see details of the Bull item that applies to the model 3 suspension retrofit. Thanks
When I booked my appointment they made it 3 weeks out due to short parts availability. My appointment is now 7 days away, so I will call a couple of days in advance to see if they really have the parts.

I just had my suspension upgraded on my December-built Model 3 at the San Diego Service Center. I have Tesla 19" upgraded wheels as well, with about 4,000 miles. The end result of the swap is fantastic! Dramatic night and day difference, for sure. I can't believe how rough the previous ride was in comparison to now. We took a drive last night and went over some pretty bumpy roads on purpose, and the car was so much smoother. And I don't necessarily see any compromise in handling that is worse either. Cornering is fine, etc. A highly recommended upgrade if your car qualifies.

I am a very satisfied customer in so many ways. I made the appointment online in advance, and listed the suspension upgrade as the main thing I wanted done. When I arrived, they already had the work order printed up with the parts for the suspension upgrade listed and set aside for my car. They had a couple of TSB items on the work order as well (window regulators, replace front stabilize links, etc.). I was in and out with the dropoff, very impressed that they had done the research before I arrived and had the suspension parts set aside. I thought I might have to tell the whole story and try to justify why I felt the upgrade was needed. But they were prepared. The Service Advisor said the suspension work alone would take about 6 hours, so I left it for a couple of days.

I picked up the car yesterday, and still can't believe how much of a difference the upgrade makes. Please let me know if you have any questions, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a "must-do" upgrade for early owners....

Tesla Suspension.jpg

I just had my suspension upgraded on my December-built Model 3 at the San Diego Service Center. I have Tesla 19" upgraded wheels as well, with about 4,000 miles. The end result of the swap is fantastic! Dramatic night and day difference, for sure. I can't believe how rough the previous ride was in comparison to now. We took a drive last night and went over some pretty bumpy roads on purpose, and the car was so much smoother. And I don't necessarily see any compromise in handling that is worse either. Cornering is fine, etc. A highly recommended upgrade if your car qualifies.

I am a very satisfied customer in so many ways. I made the appointment online in advance, and listed the suspension upgrade as the main thing I wanted done. When I arrived, they already had the work order printed up with the parts for the suspension upgrade listed and set aside for my car. They had a couple of TSB items on the work order as well (window regulators, replace front stabilize links, etc.). I was in and out with the dropoff, very impressed that they had done the research before I arrived and had the suspension parts set aside. I thought I might have to tell the whole story and try to justify why I felt the upgrade was needed. But they were prepared. The Service Advisor said the suspension work alone would take about 6 hours, so I left it for a couple of days.

I picked up the car yesterday, and still can't believe how much of a difference the upgrade makes. Please let me know if you have any questions, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a "must-do" upgrade for early owners....

View attachment 311841

Definitely seems like Tesla made the right choice with these changes. It appears they replace the rear struts (which have the damper/shock in them) and springs, but on the front they only replace the struts and re-use the springs. That is somewhat consistent with my experience on other cars. The dampers really control most of the ride quality and the rear dampers in particular seem to come into play more in that regard. Indeed on "sport" suspensions you will often see manufacturer's increase the rates at the rear more over base suspensions (and they can go "too far" in this regard).

Do you guys think the new suspension transmits less "noise" to the cabin by any chance?

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
My suspension was replaced last week in 28xx vin manufactured in Dec 2017. It made an amazing difference difference in ride quality and even noise. They gave me a model S to drive while my model 3 was being worked on and I can say the model 3 suspension feels much more like a model S but it’s still sporty. Luckily only around 3k cars were manufactured by Dec 2017 so hopefully replacing them is not a huge money sink for Tesla.

I do have to say tho this car gets better and better and even tho the early cars had some issues - I am so glad to have one and it’s the most amazing car - after driving a Tesla you won’t go back to any other car!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I have been dealing with a modern softer suspension, VIN ~9000, but it makes a noise on speed bumps. Only the front driver's side. I took it in and they replaced the parts but the symptom did not go away. They told me they had used the part version D and would have to wait for a new revision to try again. I just was at the opening of the new Fremont service facility and they said the version E is out and ordered it for me.

It's an odd issue, really ONLY hear it on speed bumps, but it's a new car, I spent all my savings on, I'll be happy to have it perfect. The rear passenger door handle sticks open too, hopefully, it will all be perfect soon. They did replace the missing bolt on the bottom of the car, I wouldn't have discovered if I hadn't taken off the rear bumper to put on the trailer hitch. OK, that's all the issues the car came with.

-Randy

I haven't gone through the entire thread but anyone know if any recent cars have the ride quality and noise issue? Mine is a 05/2018 production and 283xx VIN. I feel like the ride is really harsh, I feel every bump and can't keep my head against the headrest because it keeps bouncing off if I roll over any kind of bump on the freeway. Also I hear a lot of wind and road noise. I have a service appointment on Monday to have the noise checked out but might add suspension to it because my issues sound a lot like the problems pre-suspension fix cars had. Oh and I hear a lot of motor whine especially when regen, and rear brake noise when braking at low speeds, is any of this normal? Are my ears too sensitive? Something wrong with the car? Thanks