Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's traction in snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, I have been considering the same question since I made my reservation almost a year ago. Philly weather and NYC weather is very similar. Most of the points brought up in this thread have circled my mind a million times already. To me, each combination has some advantages but one thing that I cannot weigh in to the equation yet is which choice will help me get my car quicker. That's an important factor to me.

I've had Front-wheel drive ICEs, I've had RWD ICEs, and my last 2 cars have been AWD ICEs (Audi Quattro and Infiniti x). I've never had winter tires but certainly the AWD cars I've had have been significantly better than 2 wheel drive cars. Actually, my plan for this winter was to wait for a sizeable snowfall then make an appointment to schedule a single-motor Model S test drive to try to feel how an electric motor does with traction in the snow. But so far, there's only been one real snowfall here and it was gone in 2 days.

OP, I have been considering the same question since I made my reservation almost a year ago. Philly weather and NYC weather is very similar. Most of the points brought up in this thread have circled my mind a million times already. To me, each combination has some advantages but one thing that I cannot weigh in to the equation yet is which choice will help me get my car quicker. That's an important factor to me.

I've had Front-wheel drive ICEs, I've had RWD ICEs, and my last 2 cars have been AWD ICEs (Audi Quattro and Infiniti x). I've never had winter tires but certainly the AWD cars I've had have been significantly better than 2 wheel drive cars. Actually, my plan for this winter was to wait for a sizeable snowfall then make an appointment to schedule a single-motor Model S test drive to try to feel how an electric motor does with traction in the snow. But so far, there's only been one real snowfall here and it was gone in 2 days.
Jason, please consider AWD's advantage in rain and the general driving dynamics. My Audi Quattro and Subaru AWD cars handled well and were amazing in all marginal driving situations, with the exception of 4 plus inches of fresh snow. If snow is your concern, get winter tires. If lousy weather, get AWD. Both toghether are amazing, but probably unnecessary in Philly. My driving was mainly in Wisconsin. Now that I live in western NC, AWD should work. (Actually I have winter tires due to frequent mid-western travel around the holidays)

Jason, I hear ya. The other thing that I think about are the actual logistics of switching out 4 tires, twice a year. It might not be an easy proposition finding room in the 3 to transport 4 tires back & forth from my garage. That might necessitate having my wife go with me, separately, in her car.

Maybe I'm making too much of this.

Jason, please consider AWD's advantage in rain and the general driving dynamics. My Audi Quattro and Subaru AWD cars handled well and were amazing in all marginal driving situations, with the exception of 4 plus inches of fresh snow. If snow is your concern, get winter tires. If lousy weather, get AWD. Both toghether are amazing, but probably unnecessary in Philly. My driving was mainly in Wisconsin. Now that I live in western NC, AWD should work. (Actually I have winter tires due to frequent mid-western travel around the holidays)

As someone whose current selection of vehicles includes an Audi and a Subaru, I can confirm.

The Audi's Quattro works great in snow and ice, and is a blast for powering through corners on windy roads.

The wife's AWD Subaru has only half the HP my Audi does, but the AWD is unmatched for snow and ice and stopping power in those conditions. The lack of power makes it the less fun/more practical driver in the winter....that and the fact it sits a little higher. The Audi is only good up to about 4" of unplowed snow. The Subaru gives me another 3-5" of clearance.

Reactions: PJFW8
Jason, I hear ya. The other thing that I think about are the actual logistics of switching out 4 tires, twice a year. It might not be an easy proposition finding room in the 3 to transport 4 tires back & forth from my garage. That might necessitate having my wife go with me, separately, in her car.

Given your dilemma, perhaps you would be best suited to go with an all weather Tire like the ones Nokian offer? This could give you the best of both worlds (with some sacrifices) and at least offer better traction when the weather turns than an all season Tire.

I do a full wheel and tire swap twice a year in my Audi A3 (the small one, sedan version).

If I can get 4 19" wheels w/tires mounted on into the car, I don't think it will be a problem in the Model 3.

I was amazed at how well my S performed in the snow here last month. With just the tires that came on it the car stayed planted when the 4WD trucks were sliding all over the road. I expect the Model 3 will be close to, if not as good.

BTW with a FWD car, the weight of the engine over the drive wheels helps, but there are different dynamics at play when the drive wheels were in front. When I had to take Dynamics in college we had to analyze the difference in forces between a FWD and RWD car when trying to get the front wheels over a curb. The whole analysis was completely different for a RWD car and the conclusion was it was far easier for the FWD car to jump the curb.

We didn't do an analysis of the dynamics on snow and ice, but I think FWD has some advantages there too.
This is correct. So many people are quick to point out superior FWD performance in snow as " heavy engine over drive wheels = better traction" and move on. Sure, it's part of the equation, but only one variable. You could put your engine in the trunk of your RWD car and it would be better, but still worse than FWD.

But all of that is mostly irrelevant these days. Sure, driving RWD in the snow 50 years ago was a problem, but with modern technology and computer controls (and the right tires), you'll be fine in the snow.

There is a serious problem with the Model 3 if the tires do not fit in it. Yaris tires fit in a Yaris! Ok, maybe 5 people and 4 tires will not fit, but generally you do no make an event of changing your tires ;)

Another solution, if you have a garage or "warm place" where to do it is to do it yourself. Not complex and it gives you some one on one quality time with your car ;)

There is a serious problem with the Model 3 if the tires do not fit in it. Yaris tires fit in a Yaris! Ok, maybe 5 people and 4 tires will not fit, but generally you do no make an event of changing your tires ;)

Another solution, if you have a garage or "warm place" where to do it is to do it yourself. Not complex and it gives you some one on one quality time with your car ;)

As I said up-thread, they'll fit. If I can get my wheels and tires into my tiny A3 sedan, the Model 3 with the seats down will do just fine.