Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2022 New Taillight Will NOT Retrofit - Just Confirmed Today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People keep confusing the CCS1 requirements here. Tesla wanted to make the Tail light COMPATIBLE with CCS1 for other countries where that is the primary connector. And it would not fit in the old charge port space. So they made that area larger (like they already did on Model 3/Y). Then they mounted the standard USA Supercharger port to it. They probably have different insets for different parts of the globe. They wanted a NATIVE connection to CCS1 in other countries, no adapters like they have had in the USA. You will still need an Adapter in the USA. Now there might be smarter circuits or additional signals that will make a new CCS1 adapter cheaper and minimal differences between countries. Don't know if past adapters will work or not. It also might be a move that Tesla might some day move to CSS1 universally. But it is not to allow a native CCS1 charge port charging today in the USA, which a lot people think this is for. They are just minimizing part count globally.

Hmmm, yours should have the tail lights for that date. I thought the switch over was mid February.
Mine is early March and has the headlights.
Unfortunately mine got old headlights and taillights

Attachments

• 07461572-6281-4364-84AB-873BA9E3779F.jpeg
    07461572-6281-4364-84AB-873BA9E3779F.jpeg
    972 KB · Views: 346
  • 0D93F774-DF39-40B1-9767-C264466AB0B7.jpeg
    0D93F774-DF39-40B1-9767-C264466AB0B7.jpeg
    738.1 KB · Views: 279
The new rear end still (to me) does not look better than the pre refresh rear end. I really like the bar going across the lights. Maybe after time it will look better to me and I might be having major bias as I have the refresh but with the old headlights/tail lights.

Or maybe not? Im the kind of guy that still (for example) thinks that the E38 7 series BMW from 2001, looked better than the version that replaced it. (im old)

As much as I like the new tail lights, I feel that it's an after thought on the design of the Tesla bar to cut it off the way they did. Most manufacturers design their lights to flow with the car's body lines and features. I think I will wait for the next generation S as I'm happy with my 2021 plaid. I prefer the old charging port LED ring vs. the new small T indicator. Was talking to my service rep, at the SF service center, who he told me that the new lights are actually cheaper cost parts despite the more modern look. Creating a diffused light ring is cheaper than the old individual LED unit. He said the same about the new headlights and the only advantage is the lens and light output, but still cheaper to manufacture.

Reactions: nilesborg
As much as I like the new tail lights, I feel that it's an after thought on the design of the Tesla bar to cut it off the way they did. Most manufacturers design their lights to flow with the car's body lines and features. I think I will wait for the next generation S as I'm happy with my 2021 plaid. I prefer the old charging port LED ring vs. the new small T indicator. Was talking to my service rep, at the SF service center, who he told me that the new lights are actually cheaper cost parts despite the more modern look. Creating a diffused light ring is cheaper than the old individual LED unit. He said the same about the new headlights and the only advantage is the lens and light output, but still cheaper to manufacture.

I am with you on that one. I want to like the new "modern" lights but they just look cheaper the way the bar was put in and having no text on it.

Reactions: nilesborg
All these people saying the quarter panels are the same. Prove it.
Proving it without available part numbers is tough.

But you think that Tesla would revise the quarter panel in 6/2021 and then again in 2/2022?

I have checked in person and the taillights match the openings perfectly. I wouldn’t be surprised if you can fit the new lights in a 2012 car.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I have to say there was a lot of FOMO on my part when just after I took delivery of my S, they announced the new refreshed lights. I missed them by this > < much. A few months into this and I really think I like the lights I have better from a looks perspective and performance has been pretty good for my usage. Not that it couldn't be better, but pretty solid.

If someday they get their sht together and really do something with the matrix lights in the US other than spell Merry Christmas, I might be more interested. Considering the pace of updates at times is glacial, I am not holding my breath. By the time they get around to it, I'll likely be looking at upgrading my S for more improvements.

I really think they blew it making the rear lights like the 3. I think the appliqué across the tail makes it more upscale. Since I have a 3, I know am very tuned into to how the taillights look. I have always liked the looks of the S better than the 3 and never really thought the 3 was a good looking car. I'd like them to keep more differentiation between the 3 and S rather than less.