Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 kWh Removed from Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like all of the S60/60D cars in inventory have been removed or converted to 75kWh. Perhaps they will be custom order only going forward. Hopefully this is not a precursor to that option disappearing on the Model S as well.

Not a chance.

Lower price for one thing. And would allow the M3 pack to be offered now and worked out as "half a full size 100kWh pack". I think an MS50 sold at maybe $6k less than the MS60 base price might make perfect sense to create transitional and higher unit-sales through the end of year into next. Realistically - we don't all need 75 kWh of range. Even a 50kWh could be supercharged since they can taper V and A through software. Without 60 models which were highly sought after order-wise, unit sales will suffer without the lower entry price.

• Helpful
Reactions: Imafrog
Lower price for one thing. And would allow the M3 pack to be offered now and worked out as "half a full size 100kWh pack". I think an MS50 sold at maybe $6k less than the MS60 base price might make perfect sense to create transitional and higher unit-sales through the end of year into next. Realistically - we don't all need 75 kWh of range. Even a 50kWh could be supercharged since they can taper V and A through software. Without 60 models which were highly sought after order-wise, unit sales will suffer without the lower entry price.

I thought this with the X60 going missing, a new X50D at half the 100Kw, the numbers seem to make sense, 50/75/100 then a 125 of course in 2 years :) maybe....

Tesla is already almost sold out through 2016 -- with S deliveries scheduled in December even in the U.S. and S/X scheduled for early 2017 delivery in Europe. Tesla has already discontinued the smaller battery X (X60) because it cannot keep up with demand worldwide. Also, the S40 was very unpopular. I think there is effectively a zero percent chance of today's announcement being an S50. We will find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Tesla is already almost sold out through 2016 -- with S deliveries scheduled in December even in the U.S. and S/X scheduled for early 2017 delivery in Europe. Tesla has already discontinued the smaller battery X (X60) because it cannot keep up with demand worldwide. Also, the S40 was very unpopular. I think there is effectively a zero percent chance of today's announcement being an S50. We will find out soon enough.

I am curious, and need to do some additional reading, but was the S40 really unpopular, or did it "fail" because:
a) Tesla put priority on building the larger battery models first, so people who didn't want to wait opted for a larger battery / more options (thus it appeared the S40 was unpopular)?
b) Being such a new vehicle (model S in general) on the market, the number of early adopters was smaller and potentially wealthier so spending more on a larger battery wasn't an issue? So the people who did order an S40 and took deliver were that slice of the market who really only wanted to spend around 50 - 60k?

I can only assume that if a Model S was sold today at a 52500 price, after the federal rebate, that it would sell like crazy, just like how the new S60 starting moving after it was reintroduced. However, with the Model 3 coming, it maybe too late for a "cheap" Model S.

Having delivery dates of December doesn't mean sold out. They built literally hundreds of inventory cars in July/August to be positioned in Q3 September for the sale. This is something that they can add to or subtract to the line based on the incoming order rate from named customers. Giving California buyers December delivery dates makes sense as they are nearby and easy to serve in that time frame - the rest of the country gets served for custom orders and inventory ahead of them.

The Consolidator now says S75, where at least some cars link to "60" on Tesla's site. A lot of the inventory appears to be the white, black and deep blue cars which carried similar specs, and were surplus Q3 production.

I am curious, and need to do some additional reading, but was the S40 really unpopular, or did it "fail"

It failed to establish demand, but that was in a 2012/early '13 market. Today, supercharger proliferation could greet, say, a 50kwh car differently. I'd almost rather 50kwh in the south, than 60kwh in the north (ignoring for a moment that it's 75kwh).

today's announcement might have to do with a Performance 75 version, so sports car enthusiasts can be drawn into a 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, without touching a $120K+ ticket.

Currently 75Kwh battery cars top out at 0-60 of 5.2seconds. There is market for a $80K electric car that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Get deep into the M3-M4-M5 market.