Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 90D Monroney vs Tesla Range degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Quotes the range of the Model S 90d at 294 miles when new.
1629739686566.png

However the Monroney sticker only states 270 miles.
1629739824435.png

I recently learned that warranty of 30% degradation is based on the 270-30%. So the range would have to drop to 189 for any sort of battery warranty to kick in. Pretty sneaky.

The Monroney sticker on my June 2016 produced MS90D lists a combined MPGe rating of 103 (101 city, 107 highway), and shows the driving range at 294 miles.

And has already by stated by others, the battery warranty was for 8 years/unlimited miles against defects. There was no warranty against 'normal' degradation. Warranty repair would only happen if there was an actual failure detected of one of the modules or other components in the battery.

The 30% deterioration warranty was first introduced for the Model 3 and has since been carried to other models, along with there now being a mileage limit versus unlimited.

We were getting 262 for a daily 90% charge on our 2017 90D. Not sure if you were concerned that you were low on your car or wondering what to expect if you buy one used.
262 at 90% SOC is pretty much brand new battery type of performance for a 90D compared to the 294 rating, presuming you're talking about rated miles and not ideal.

My mid-2016 (June build) has 62k miles on the odometer. I get at 90% SOC I'll get about 241 rated miles and fully charged 268-269. That works out to between 8.5% to 9% apparent degradation versus the 294 rated value.

90Ds have NO warranty for degradation whatsoever. The warranty changes that included a degradation threshold were introduced long after the last 90 was sold.
Are you absolutely certain about that?

From what I've read online, Tesla implemented the 30% degradation warranty retroactively with the exception of the original 60kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of eight years or 150k miles, whichever comes first.

From what I've read online, Tesla implemented the 30% degradation warranty retroactively with the exception of the original 60kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of eight years or 150k miles, whichever comes first.
If they did, they did it unofficially. (Like it could be their standard policy to do that, but I seem to recall that we heard their policy was that your capacity has to be 30%, or maybe it was 20%, lower than the average of the comparable fleet, not of your original capacity.)

Reactions: ucmndd
If they did, they did it unofficially. (Like it could be their standard policy to do that, but I seem to recall that we heard their policy was that your capacity has to be 30%, or maybe it was 20%, lower than the average of the comparable fleet, not of your original capacity.)
Do you know what the average of the comparable fleet is on a 16 MS 90D? I'm seriously considering buying one that has 102k miles and the range at 100% is only 227

Do you know what the average of the comparable fleet is on a 16 MS 90D? I'm seriously considering buying one that has 102k miles and the range at 100% is only 227

Depends. If it's an early 90D with the 270 rating, you'd be around 16% loss which is a little higher than normal but not too bad given the mileage. If it's a later 90D with the 294 rating, it would be around 23% loss which is kind of high.

That being said, if the 227 @ 100% (probably 200 @ 90%) suits your needs and the price is good, then...

Depends. If it's an early 90D with the 270 rating, you'd be around 16% loss which is a little higher than normal but not too bad given the mileage. If it's a later 90D with the 294 rating, it would be around 23% loss which is kind of high.

That being said, if the 227 @ 100% (probably 200 @ 90%) suits your needs and the price is good, then...
I really appreciate the feedback. It's a tough question. I just posted my question in detail a few minutes ago on here.

2016 Model S 90D w/102k miles and 23% degradation? Help

Any way you could take a minute to check it out and tell me what your opinion is?

Agree with @MP3Mike, maybe in some unofficial or goodwill capacity, although honestly I doubt there’s a single Tesla on the road that has seen a legit 30% range degradation that didn’t also result in some sort of warrantable failure. The 30% threshold, particularly when confined to 150k miles, makes the “degradation warranty” essentially worthless.

Agree with @MP3Mike, maybe in some unofficial or goodwill capacity, although honestly I doubt there’s a single Tesla on the road that has seen a legit 30% range degradation that didn’t also result in some sort of warrantable failure. The 30% threshold, particularly when confined to 150k miles, makes the “degradation warranty” essentially worthless.
I posted a question on here a little earlier today. I could use some insight as to what direction I should go. If you could take a minute to check it out and give feedback it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2016 Model S 90D w/102k miles and 23% degradation? Help

30% degradation is unlikely to happen within 150k miles on any pack. Some of the early 90s could get close, but I don't think any would hit 30%. Off the top of my head, the worst functional non-damaged battery I've ever seen has 28% degradation at ~350k miles. It's an original 60 that was charged and then supercharged to 100% roughly every weekday (2x 100% charges per day).

To my knowledge, Tesla's standard line for when people complain about degradation is that they don't cover degradation. I do not believe the degradation part of the newer warranty was ever made retroactive, but it is a pretty useless prospect even if it was. It's more there for people who don't know any better to entice more buyers. I doubt it's been invoked a single time.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike