Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP crashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla did everyone a mis service by calling it autopilot. AP has has truck lust for some time. It is a well known issue with the system, that you learn with experience. The system, at least fw 7.1, is extremely predictable which is exactly what you want with an automated assistant. Sorry you were not aware of the truck attraction issue before it was too late.

I don't think it is implicit, at least I don't remember anyone from Tesla telling me the auto pilot is a beta software. That probably wouldn't help sales too much.

It's on p73 of my copy of the manual. It's repeated on the settings screen, where you have to agree to enable Autosteer before using it for the first time.

autosteer-beta.png

2015-Tesla-Model-S-P90D-Autosteer-feature.jpg

Well no one told me that and I don't even have auto pilot enabled yet (so alas no nag screen), but my guess is Tesla won't give me a refund on my new P 100 DL for this oversight on their sales end?

Do you want to buy a $150,000 car where the main selling feature is "beta" and may kill you? They should put up a big sign in their show room saying auto pilot is beta and should not be trusted.

nonsense, if you were paying attention you'd be able to react in time
If someone let their car be alongside another, the amount of time to react is not very much. I could see it being too little time even in good circumstances. That's why it's best not to be by other cars.

I'm confounded why AP1 would go toward the truck. Trucks drift, too, though. Using the AP1 for safety when it can't see any better than you is a concern, and something Tesla could address better in marketing.

This isn't about Self Driving. I think when the car is in Self Driving mode, Tesla ought to call it something more than a novelty. Is the entire car a novelty because it's electric?

You are right, because in Europe we don't have that kind of behavior regarding "Truck Lust". Truck trailer in Europe are low, close to the road. So no drifting to keep the lane! Driving on Highway at high speed in Switzerland (120 km/h) and passing by a truck has never been an issue for the TACC/ Auto lane (but monitoring the AP all time is a MUST).
Is this a leftover from Israel, where MobileEye was located? Does Israel have tall spaces under truck trailers? TeslaVision (AP HW2) not doing this would help evidence to this theory.
I see it just fine. If they would have not corrected, the car would have steered into the back half of the trailer.
Not only that, but it is apparent from the reaction time that the driver is aware of this problem and ready to correct for it, beyond it being a one time occurrence, so, it indicates this is a common thing for this driver-vehicle combination (in the linked video three steps up).

Last edited:
Well no one told me that and I don't even have auto pilot enabled yet (so alas no nag screen), but my guess is Tesla won't give me a refund on my new P 100 DL for this oversight on their sales end?

Do you want to buy a $150,000 car where the main selling feature is "beta" and may kill you? They should put up a big sign in their show room saying auto pilot is beta and should not be trusted.

Am not a Tesla apologist, but there are many things about your post I disagree with. I will only cite one for brevity. If you are going to buy a new $150k car, especially one noted for being leading edge wrt new technology, I can't see the logic of only getting input from the salesperson. I do more research than that when I buy a new MacBook.. Pretty much any research on Tesla Auto Pilot would reveal all the edges of the feature as it exists today and it's roadmap.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex
I appreciate your civil response. I don't live near any Tesla facility and purchased my car over the phone/internet. When I went to pick up the car they wouldn't even let me drive it before signing for it (despite my insistence). That was a first for any car buying experience. Also a first was paying for features that don't work yet in the hope eventually they get activated.

To be fair, I have driven a Tesla before with AP1.0 and it seemed useful, which is why I purchased a Tesla. Also I love technology and am an optimist, like I'm sure most Tesla buyers are.

Perhaps I am overly trusting. I understand the AP has it's limitations, but at the $10k price tag I expect it to work safely and not veer into trucks. For someone to lecture the OP about his accident because the autopilot "is obviously just a beta" and use at your own risk is unfair. Like I said, despite having a Tesla in my garage, I have NEVER heard that it was only a beta feature.

Do you want to buy a $150,000 car where the main selling feature is "beta" and may kill you?

Any car you can buy today can kill you if you fail to operate in the manner described in the owner's manual and fail to pay close attention to the road and the surrounding environment when moving at highway speeds.

The main selling feature of any Tesla is the all electric long distance drivetrain and Supercharger network. No other manufacturer offers anything even remotely comparable.

Multiple other manufacturers offer various levels of assisted driving. Most reviews in auto publications agree that Tesla Autopilot is by far the most capable system currently available to the public.

Do you want to buy a $150,000 car where the main selling feature is "beta" and may kill you?

That's funny that AP is the main selling feature of a Tesla since it wasn't even a feature when I bought mine. I also considered my entire vehicle to be beta even without AP. But I do understand that Tesla is now appealing to a wider market and they should have made the fact that AP is beta explicit to you when ordering.

I appreciate your civil response. I don't live near any Tesla facility and purchased my car over the phone/internet. When I went to pick up the car they wouldn't even let me drive it before signing for it (despite my insistence). That was a first for any car buying experience. Also a first was paying for features that don't work yet in the hope eventually they get activated.

To be fair, I have driven a Tesla before with AP1.0 and it seemed useful, which is why I purchased a Tesla. Also I love technology and am an optimist, like I'm sure most Tesla buyers are.

Perhaps I am overly trusting. I understand the AP has it's limitations, but at the $10k price tag I expect it to work safely and not veer into trucks. For someone to lecture the OP about his accident because the autopilot "is obviously just a beta" and use at your own risk is unfair. Like I said, despite having a Tesla in my garage, I have NEVER heard that it was only a beta feature.

I think it's important to really emphasize that this is an AP 1.0 ONLY problem.

AP 2.0 is a very different set of hardware. So it's not at all applicable.

So those of you with AP 2.0 don't worry about it. There is zero data on it's performance, and no conclusions can be made with AP 1.0 data.

For those of you with AP 1.0 be very aware that the car can suddenly veer towards trucks. In mine it happens as I'm passing it, and not before like the previous video shows.

For me I mostly decided not to use that feature because there are too many trucks on I5 between Seattle, and Portland. That's typically where I use AP. I'm perfectly happy with TACC, and I don't really need AP. It's good for a few moments here and there when it's totally safe (or traffic is really slow). I got enough things to concentrate on that I don't need to be watching over AP as well.

I still use various features of AP, but I've become accustomed to their quirks.

Like AP has more truck lust issues the faster you go. For example 80mph has significantly more truck lust events than 70mph or below. Darkness also seems to be a contributing factor. Plus I don't use it in heavy rain, etc. It might happen to me more because in the pacific northwest it's dark and drizzly a lot.

With Summons (which also suffers from limitations of the ultrasonic sensors) I have to stand in particular spot for the car to always pull into my garage perfectly. My body keeps it from trying to veer.

I've concluded that Tesla simply went too far what they attempted to do with limited hardware. It looks like they're doing the same thing with AP 2.0 (with the FSD), but I'd be pretty happy with a really good eAP. Plus I love technology so my plan is to eventually upgrade. Maybe in May, or May of next year when I'm at the half way point with my AP 1.0 car.

It's probably also going to have some quirks, but different quirks. It could take Tesla three tries to get AP right. At some point we just have to accept that this is a very new things so unanticipated things will happen.

It's also important enough wise because technology can be fixed. We're very much in the age where we're using technology to fix shortcomings of humans. This has risk of the machine screwing up, but we can fix the machine. This kind of issue isn't limited to Tesla. For example Subaru has one of the best emergency braking systems on the market, but it can have a false detection. I don't know the exact chance of it happening, but it's certainly there.

Unfortunately this is true. I personally have avoided at least 2 AP accidents by taking over. One was just like the Op says. For some reason my S veered into the right lane from the middle lane and nearly hit a truck. Lanes clearly marked. I don't know why so I just chalked it up to the learning curve. Other time was with a truck (why is it always a truck? ) :)
stopped at a red traffic light and my S was not slowing down. I had to slam on the brakes. I'm talking real close, maybe 15 yards. As it is I don't like how it waits to slow down for stopped traffic but this was a complete misread by AP. Now, I love AP and continue to use it but it is a reminder that AP is a driver assist feature.

I think the truck hugging is due to AP considering the lower line if the trailer the white road line. This confusion is increased in inclement weather and with direct sunlight. So the car is centering but in reality it's getting closer to the truck.