Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S as only car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She's all I drive. I kept my Acura SUV for about six months and realised that all I did was drive it once a week to keep it in shape. Didn't enjoy one second of it. So I sold it and I have not really had a need for anything else. When I have needed another vehicle, it's been a pick up, which I didn't have before.

My Miss has delivered perfectly every day except for one failed solenoid, which was fixed ASAP.

I could get by with just the model S, but. . . . .sometimes I like a smaller car for tight parking and downtown congestion. Sometimes I drive on dirt roads and sometimes I leave a car parked at the airport. For those reasons we have other options.

We sold the Prius and started being a one-car Tesla family in January 2013. Sometimes it made things difficult with two schedules, but mostly it has worked fine. We have never worried about being stuck with a Tesla needing parts, etc.

Then in January of this year our car was involved in a parking incident where someone in a pickup cut in too quickly to a space in front of the car and ripped the nose off. Freaky, for sure. Being Saturday, it was a little difficult getting a rental, but our local body shop towed the car into their yard.

Firstly, there is no such thing as a "Tesla approved body shop" in CA. Any shop must be approved by any manufacturer. And secondly, Tesla parts are a problem. The first week, my body shop told me they couldn't get parts, and I read posts here about people waiting months to get things from Tesla.

I got on the phone and wrote emails as soon as I heard about it. I soon was talking to a Tesla regional parts person and being assured I would get my parts "tomorrow". They did pretty good: It took a week. My car was fixed within 30 days, and insurance covered my rental.

Yes, renting a car can be a hassle. But any part of any accident is a hassle. Nobody wants to have this kind of fun, but here you are, no choice.

So, I have lived for over 3 years with only one car. I survived a month long repair by driving a rental. I don't think the chances are long that anything like this will happen again for a while, and I have not paid for registration, insurance, fuel, depreciation, etc., that goes with a second car. It worked well for me.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and mblakele
Model S has been my only car since March 2013. Never had any problems with getting around, including lots of service time (they give a loaner or rental), and collision damage (was rear-ended, other parties insurance paid for rental as they were at fault)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I wonder if having a new (2016) Model S as one's only car is viable? I know Tesla provides loaners for when your car is in the shop, but what if you are awaiting parts and the car is undriveable until they arrive? Do you get a loaner then? Probably not.

I have heard that there are sometimes substantial waits for parts, which suggests that Model S owners probably need a backup car available.

Any thoughts? Anyone with a Tesla as their only vehicle?

Thanks.

There are literally thousands of examples proving that the Model S is perfect as your only car. I've had mine for more than 2 years and 85k miles and it is my only car.

Repairs in the body shop will take significantly longer than other cars. There are very few body shops working on Tesla and they always have to wait for parts. It is really one of the big downsides of owning a Tesla. If you have a collision and need a body shop, you are out of your car for at least 5 weeks minimum. I waited 11 weeks!

Rental cars are pretty cheap, though.

You guys are stressing me out. I got hit in a parking lot (while parked) and the other party's insurance is giving me $400 as $50 a day for 8 days. The body shop originally asked for 15 days but they also asked for $3k and have agreed to $2k.

While waiting for a trip to take my car in (Italy in 2 weeks), someone rear ended me while stopped at a light. Almost zero visible damage (scuff on paint), but the 2 middle parking sensors got pushed in - and now they go off sometimes and my autopark is not available. So I go in for an estimate on that part Wednesday.

The thought of driving a rental for any length of time gives me chest pain....

The first damage is minor rear quarter panel.

In NC - we have 2 Tesla approved body shops to match our 2 SC's - one in Raleigh and one in Charlotte.

But I can't imagine having another vehicle in the garage to cover this - unless it was a Tesla. The visceral hatred I would feel driving an old ICE - makes no sense. Now getting a Leaf at auction - that could work.

Some insurances (like my own) will only cover 30 or 45 days worth of renting for accidents, depending on what you pay for. That's probably something to look into, just in case.

As far as range or ev-specific concerns, don't worry about them. I drive a Leaf as my only car--as long as your usual daily driving habits fit comfortably within one single charge, you can adapt even to really tiny batteries like those in econo-EVs. I can't imagine many Tesla drivers, in general, have to change many habits to make it work though :)

Tesla ownership provides opportunity to own a collectable car. We have an older Miata which qualifies for 'collectable insurance rates' from Hagerty. It's a second vehicle than can be kept at very low cost for back up to the Tesla and as an alternative when top down driving to a car show is desired.

As long as you have storage space, keeping a second vehicle (collectible) is a good option.

3 plus years, 60,000 miles.
Yes I hung on to my BMW until it sold, but after driving the Model S, why go back to oil?

I have had a loaner (Model S) several times, nothing over four days.

Rental (oil) cars are for when I am out of town traveling.
If it is close enough or I have sufficient time, I just drive my car.

I do still have my Suzuki Burgman, but seldom ride it.