Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Axle issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
A lot of information online leads me to believe that Axle's and wheels snapping off is a persistent problem with Model S. I am not very mechanically inclined. Could anyone ideally with pictures post some guidance on how I could myself check the health of my car's wheels/axles?

Specifically things like, axle breaking off, ball joint problems. etc! TIA!

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
FUD
This is a non-issue, perpetuated by a crazy Australian. The car is designed to absorb forces rather than transmit them into the bodies of its passengers. The process involves deformation, and if the axles deform and fail as part of saving us from injury, that's a good thing.

Reactions: croman
I think the issues posted online are far from systemic, but it is always good practice to inspect your cars mechanically on a regular basis for safety.

I periodically inspect my tires and while I do that, I look at my suspension components and check for corrosion, torn rubber covers on the ball joint, etc. You can see the control arms and the ball joint from between the top of the tire and the wheel well. A mirror and flashlight might be helpful. If you live in a road salt area, make sure you clean your undercarriage periodically. If a rubber cover gets torn due to road debris etc, the joint will eventually fail, so repair those when you find them.

Mine look clean and the rubber cover over the ball joint is in good condition with 50k miles.

LRM_EXPORT_20170609_163317.jpg

Also pay attention to unusual noises when you drive that sound like they come from the wheel areas. My driver side rear suspension was making some creaking noises going slow over sharp bumps, so I reported it to the SC and they tightened some bolts in the joint, so the sound is gone now. Don't ignore the little stuff like that. A wheel bearing failing can be a subtle noise at speed, yet its something that needs to be addressed for safety.

All cars can have suspension/wheel issues, so it is good practice to pay attention no matter what you own. I have had wheel bearings go out on an Acura as well as an axle replacement on my Volt. All those were found by the small noises they were making when driving and then taking the cars in for inspections.

Last edited:
I haven't seen even one report of broken axle confirmed by the owner.
Seems like all this FUD is coming from one short in Australia.
Can we start a petition to get Tesla legal department to take action?
He must be breaking the law by filing all of those false complaints and harming Teslas reputation.

I think the issues posted online are far from systemic, but it is always good practice to inspect your cars mechanically on a regular basis for safety.

I periodically inspect my tires and while I do that, I look at my suspension components and check for corrosion, torn rubber covers on the ball joint, etc. You can see the control arms and the ball joint from between the top of the tire and the wheel well. A mirror and flashlight might be helpful. If you live in a road salt area, make sure you clean your undercarriage periodically. If a rubber cover gets torn due to road debris etc, the joint will eventually fail, so repair those when you find them.

Mine look clean and the rubber cover over the ball joint is in good condition with 50k miles.

View attachment 230610

Also pay attention to unusual noises when you drive that sound like they come from the wheel areas. My driver side rear suspension was making some creaking noises going slow over sharp bumps, so I reported it to the SC and they tightened some bolts in the joint, so the sound is gone now. Don't ignore the little stuff like that. A wheel bearing failing can be a subtle noise at speed, yet its something that needs to be addressed for safety.

All cars can have suspension/wheel issues, so it is good practice to pay attention no matter what you own. I have had wheel bearings go out on an Acura as well as an axle replacement on my Volt. All those were found by the small noises they were making when driving and then taking the cars in for inspections.
I remember seeing some photos of cars that appeared to have a lot of corrosion of suspension parts. Perhaps they were early versions that didn't have proper coatings or something.
The parts in your picture seem to be in very good condition.
Have you seen any issues of suspension part corrosion, or has Tesla gotten that issue under control?

I remember seeing some photos of cars that appeared to have a lot of corrosion of suspension parts. Perhaps they were early versions that didn't have proper coatings or something.
The parts in your picture seem to be in very good condition.
Have you seen any issues of suspension part corrosion, or has Tesla gotten that issue under control?

I haven't, and I own a 2013, but I live in California. So not a useful data point.

@John Green - single post and saying the sun isn't hot? There are 100's of confirmed such stories. No I don't want to turn this into a bitch about Tesla party. But saying that there isn't a single report is a bit "ludicrous".

Why do I have the feeling that I just fed a troll.
There is a crazy Australian who has reported hundreds of axle failures with pictures of accident cars from junkyards.
Yes, you are feeding this troll.

@John Green - single post and saying the sun isn't hot? There are 100's of confirmed such stories. No I don't want to turn this into a bitch about Tesla party. But saying that there isn't a single report is a bit "ludicrous".

Why do I have the feeling that I just fed a troll.
This is literally the first time I've even heard of this so-calld "issue"