Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S cannot be ordered with a metal roof AT ALL now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I was just on the Tesla website ordering page for the Model S, wondering when they will change ANYTHING on the Model 3 page.

As I was playing with the options, I noticed that now you cannot get a Model S with a metal roof AT ALL. There is no choice for it.

What is this obsession with glass roofs and sunroofs? Not everyone wants one! I want a solid metal roof on my Model 3, AND I want Sirius Satellite Radio! I do not want to pay extra for an option I don't even want!

I don't want the sun beating down on me in the car. I hate that, I don't care how tinted the glass is. I want to sit in my nice DARK cool interior with the AC blasting.

I guess if there were no way to order the car without a glass roof, I could take it to a custom body shop I know and have them cut out the glass roof and custom make me a metal roof, or at least put that wrapping stuff on the glass roof to cover it over. Or form a piece of sheet metal and RTV silicone it in place over the glass roof.

Last edited:
Because I am getting a Model 3, as I stated above. I know a good body shop that I have dealt with in the past, I fixed their computer systems, so if it comes to that the cost shouldn't be too bad.

If I went the route of replacing the glass roof with metal, it'd be a matter of principle, to show Tesla that I will not blindly accept such an unwanted option just to get the car.

I've been trying to figure out why the metal roof is not offered. I'd be surprised if it's cheaper for Tesla to put on a glass roof.

Maybe they plan to make up the cost difference by selling replacements for broken ones...Have you ever had a cracked metal roof?.

Or maybe they want to help subsidize the wrapping and sunshade industry.;)

What is this obsession with glass roofs and sunroofs? Not everyone wants one! I want a solid metal roof on my Model 3, AND I want Sirius Satellite Radio! I do not want to pay extra for an option I don't even want!

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even offer satellite radio on the Model 3. SiriusXM isn't really a partner. (no free trial for example) and it might be one of the many ways they cut costs on the 3.

I definitely didn't want a glass roof either. It had nothing to do with the cost. I want it dark like a movie theater in my car. I want as little glare and reflections on my windshield and side windows as possible. I'm not looking up at the sky while I'm driving. If I was a rear seat passenger, which I never plan on being, I would want the all glass roof.

I was just on the Tesla website ordering page for the Model S, wondering when they will change ANYTHING on the Model 3 page.

As I was playing with the options, I noticed that now you cannot get a Model S with a metal roof AT ALL. There is no choice for it.

I don't want the sun beating down on me in the car. I hate that, I don't care how tinted the glass is. I want to sit in my nice DARK cool interior with the AC blasting.

I guess if there were no way to order the car without a glass roof, I could take it to a custom body shop I know and have them cut out the glass roof and custom make me a metal roof, or at least put that wrapping stuff on the glass roof to cover it over. Or form a piece of sheet metal and RTV silicone it in place over the glass roof.

So go whine about it in the Model 3 forum.

My guess is that so few people are ordering solid metal now after the introduction of the relatively cheap all glass option that it saves money by simplifying the manufacturing line.

I understand your stated point about why you want it dark, but I would say try to be open minded about it. The all glass roof is actually pretty sweet. You can can sun shades for it or like you suggested a darker tint. Your passengers will definitely appreciate it.

If a glass roof is the only option going forward on the Model S and then the Model 3. I would wager than someone would make a snap-in headliner to block the light. -But, I do think that people will really like the glass roof once they use it for a couple of days!

This. The structure extends down well below the glass, so if a glass roof really offends your sensibilities that much, just put something under it to block the light. I'd bet a number of folks will offer custom solutions within a few months of the car coming out.

If a glass roof is the only option going forward on the Model S and then the Model 3. I would wager than someone would make a snap-in headliner to block the light. -But, I do think that people will really like the glass roof once they use it for a couple of days!

Nope. I have an '11 Challenger R/T that I have owned for 2 full years, and it has a sunroof. I've opened the roof (or just pulled back the interior shade panel) less than a dozen times. And even when I just open the shade panel but leave the roof closed, I feel the sun coming through and heating the back of my neck and head, so it gets closed pretty quickly.

Tesla should listen to what we want on this roof issue, and not try to tell us what we want. They will lose sales by trying to do that.

There's no way a sheet metal roof can cost more than a big (and heavier) piece of glass. Aren't we supposed to be trying to lower the weight on the Model 3?

I understand your stated point about why you want it dark, but I would say try to be open minded about it. The all glass roof is actually pretty sweet. You can can sun shades for it or like you suggested a darker tint. Your passengers will definitely appreciate it.

1. I will rarely have passengers in my car, and even if I did...
2. SCREW what they think! They aren't paying for the car!

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
My guess is that so few people are ordering solid metal now after the introduction of the relatively cheap all glass option that it saves money by simplifying the manufacturing line.

Exactly, as well as possibly increasing efficiency of manufacturing by having the ability for the robots to work through a common big opening in the top of the car. Might enable compression of the line as more concurrent tasks could be completed with this additional access.

• Informative
Reactions: vigge50 and Ryan MF
Because I am getting a Model 3, as I stated above. I know a good body shop that I have dealt with in the past, I fixed their computer systems, so if it comes to that the cost shouldn't be too bad.

If I went the route of replacing the glass roof with metal, it'd be a matter of principle, to show Tesla that I will not blindly accept such an unwanted option just to get the car.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but why even buy the car if such a fundamental part of it is so objectionable to you? There will be other BEV in the M3's price range soon enough. You don't owe Telsa your business.

As a Model S driver with panoramic glass, I must say I bought the sunshade fearing the Sun. But it has stayed in it's original packaging, as the heat effect is same or, dare I say, less than having a metal roof (maybe the glass allows heat to escape?). It's been surprisingly good, and I would never go back to a full metal roof in any car.

I guess if there were no way to order the car without a glass roof, I could take it to a custom body shop I know and have them cut out the glass roof and custom make me a metal roof, or at least put that wrapping stuff on the glass roof to cover it over.
I suggest that you calm down and wait to see if the Model 3 will be offered with a metal roof -- it's quite possible that it will -- but if not it would be easy and cheap to have "black out" window film applied to the underside of the glass roof. See Gila 36 in. x 78 in. Black Privacy Window Film-PB78 - The Home Depot as an example of what you could use.

All they have to do is put a solid cover on that sunroof and it would be a no-brainer. Without a solid cover -- NO WAY. I love sunroofs, always look for one in my new cars. I also have a rooftop cargo box which I would have loved to use with my MS. But there is no cover on the sunroof, which means hot summer sun in my children's eyes on long trips, which means no break from the whining. It is lunacy, pure and simple.

Overall, the MS is not very kid-friendly. Child seats don't fit well. Rear headrests don't allow good top tether routing. Third row seats don't have proper ventilation (actually, no ventilation at all.) There is no rear armrest, which is a feature commonly found even on economy cars these days. And Tesla does not seem to care. They have made no incremental improvements to address any of these issues in the past five years.

For what it's worth, I just bought a 2015 Model S with the panoramic roof. The previous owner also had 3M cristaline tint applied to the roof as well as the windows. I was pretty concerned about buying a car with a glass roof in florida, but I have to say that after a month it hasn't been a problem at all. I imagine the tint helps, but I haven't noticed any heat or bright light from the sun while I'm driving. It's kind of a cool and unique feature and I'm glad I have it now.

Reactions: Joelc
I want a solid metal roof on my Model 3, AND I want Sirius Satellite Radio
I'm sure Elon made a note of this and will be watching for your order to come it to accommodate you.

I do not want to pay extra for an option I don't even want!
Then dont! Nobody is forcing your hand or pulling money out of your wallet.

I want to sit in my nice DARK cool interior with the AC blasting.
I dont see what the problem is - just buy a car that suites your desires - problem solved.

I could take it to a custom body shop I know and have them cut out the glass roof and custom make me a metal roof, or at least put that wrapping stuff on the glass roof to cover it over. Or form a piece of sheet metal and RTV silicone it in place over the glass roof.

Sounds reasonable - pay $35-40 for a car, then, probably, half of that to "fix" the roof.
Or, you could just duct tape the glass over.
Or, cardboard it over

cardboardBoxCar.jpg

We don't know about the Model 3 yet, but if it's like the S, you wouldn't be paying for an "option" that you don't want. The glass roof isn't an option, it's the way the car is made. The option is having the roof be able to open. The standard is fixed glass. If the fixed glass roof is a deal breaker for you, perhaps you'd be happier with a different car. Or maybe sit in one first before you rule it out.