Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S CCS1 adapter Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the release of the CCS1 adapter in Taiwan and now working in the the US with a recent software update, how will this fit on the Model S. Just the way it is made will not work with the mini door on the S. We do know the design is passive so basically just an adaptor however I would think a different design would be needed to fit the door. The car does show CCS compatible so I assume it is coming to the S. Plaid on CCS

They are making an adapter to fit those cars that say they are CCS compatible. Don't worry, it will fit your car.

Attachments

• Tesla-CCS-adapter.jpg
    Tesla-CCS-adapter.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 632
No way that adapter is going into an S and seating correctly with the small door or the way it opens. We know CCS1 charging works on a Model S however they definitely need to modify that adapter which was obviously designed to fit the 3 and Y. Could possibly have something to do with the new rear lights and new larger charge door that has been spotted on the S recently or maybe that is just the European version.

We have both CCS1 and CCS2 in Canada FYI.

(Moderator note: Edited to strikethrough CCS2 reference per subsequent posts.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DerbyDave
The part going into the car is exactly the same connector as a Supercharger or your home Wall Connector adapter. It extends out beyond the car like this, and then a huge CCS adapter is wired and moulded onto this attachment. There is no difference to the car. They could attach the car to a 3 foot adapter as long as the part attaching and inserting into the car is the same as it has always gotten. Look at the photo on my post. The part going into the car is a normal Tesla adapter. This isn't even high tech!

It may fit however the push pin towards the of the adapter will be pushing on the rear painted quarter panel as there is no room above the inlet for this like on the 3 and Y. Tesla CCS1 adapter
It's hard to estimate based on the pictures but I remain unconvinced. The pin does not look to be high enough to be pressing on the body work to my eyes - if anything it looks to be barely above the LED charging ring. I can't imagine Tesla designing something that they knew wouldn't physically fit.

tesla-charging-adapter-dc-ccs-combo-1-to-tesla-proprietary-standard.jpeg

Ok, so I finally inserted the Tesla OEM CCS1 adapter into the S butt hole. :eek: Fits no issue whatsoever and does not touch the paint at all, about 1/4" clearance although hard to see in the picture.

Warning!!! I could not get it out after inserting it since it was not attached to a CCS charge cord where one simply presses the button to unlock. For everybody's info, there is a manual release pull wire in the cubby hole to the left located at the upper most part of the cubby hole so out of sight. Put your finger in the hole and fish out the wire and pull if ever you are stuck with a charge cable in the receptacle. I did not know this and learned only because of my mistake. Problem solved, lesson learned. This location is for the 2021+ yoke style Model S, I am sure they all have it but may be located a little differently.

IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and tps5352
Warning!!! I could not get it out after inserting it since it was not attached to a CCS charge cord where one simply presses the button to unlock. For everybody's info, there is a manual release pull wire in the cubby hole to the left located at the upper most part of the cubby hole so out of sight. Put your finger in the hole and fish out the wire and pull if ever you are stuck with a charge cable in the receptacle. I did not know this and learned only because of my mistake. Problem solved, lesson learned. This location is for the 2021+ yoke style Model S, I am sure they all have it but may be located a little differently.
Holy cow, that is much ado about nothing, and certainly didn't deserve a warning with three exclamation points. That's how the car normally operates.

There are at least three ways to release that in software, which you should be doing first. Fishing around for that emergency backup pull string is the last resort.

1. Unlock port button on mobile app
2. Unlock port button on touch screen
3. Hold down the rear trunk button of key fob for a few seconds

There are at least three ways to release that in software, which you should be doing first. Fishing around for that emergency backup pull string is the last resort.

1. Unlock port button on mobile app
2. Unlock port button on touch screen
3. Hold down the rear trunk button of key fob for a few seconds
#1 & #2 were not possible, I tried looking for the unlock in both the screen and the app, not there for some odd reason however once I managed to remove the adapter it reappeared.
I never carry my fob, it remains home as a backup and was at the office.
My last resort was the release wire.

Oddly enough I just tried reinserting it once more just before posting this, it did not latch on this time so I was able to remove it no problem. Tried several times and no latching. Not sure what happened yesterday.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: israndy
I saw it, but main focus is on model 3. Does anyone managed to retrofit it on older NA Model S? The kit in Europe contains the ECU and some wiring harness.

Coincidentally, I am in the Tesla online parts catalog (for North America) right now and I see no obvious reference to a CCS-related ECU for Model S. There are ones for Models 3 and Y, and even for Model X, 2015-2021. But nothing for Model S. Does that mean no Model S has CCS enabled? I don't think that is right.

But, as with other auto manufacturer parts catalogs, Tesla's is not the most consistently labeled and user friendly. Perhapsa Model S parts have different names or are located physically somewhere differently?

We have both CCS1 and CCS2 in Canada FYI.
CCS2 in Canada is a surprise to me. Can you point us to some public locations with that, esp. w/pics of the plug or a diagram on the charger with that? What BEVs/PHEVs sold or leased as new in Canada have CCS2 inlets?

Do you also have Mennekes Type 2 for AC charging there?

I know for sure you had J1772 and CCS1 + CHAdeMO up in Canada but CCS2 in Canada seems bizarro.

Reactions: Rocky_H