Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Clever Vanity Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Link is broken:

Firefox can't find the server at %20(just%20passed%20my%20pe!%20as%20of%20today%20;>).

Another suggestion: EV UFO

I just spent a good amount of time to collect all the vanity tag mentions (indiscriminately) and put them into this google doc:
http://tinyurl.com/a3t48fe

There are tons of duplicates... maybe someone can help sort and remove duplicates.

The document is editable by everyone (for now... as long as someone doesn't trash the document we'll keep it that way)
Title has in the title "update up to post #"

Everyone please feel free to update and contribute!
Since vanity tags are unique to each state theres possibility for people to register in their own state!

Perhaps the first post can be updated with this link?

My P85 just got personal!
20130109_150637_resized.jpg

I just picked up my custom tags at the DMV today. I wanted to snap a quick photo that would show the blue, but the sun was low and behind the clouds. Played with the white balance a little and got this one which I kind of like (not working great as an avatar photo though).

The "PUR AMPS" is meant to be read as "Pure Amps", with two meanings. The first being a 100% electric vehicle, the second meaning is the source of the electricity is "pure" and non-polluting. That last part is not currently true in my case, but one I'm planning on rectifying in the near future by installing solar panels on my home.

Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 4.07.56 PM.png

A few nice words about the California DMV, since they always get a bad rap. I ordered my plates in August, and were ready for pickup in October. They were nice enough to hold them for me until my car arrived (you can't pick up plates without assigning them to a VIN). I went in today to pick them up even though I hadn't received my standard issued new plates yet. They had me sign a statement stating that I would destroy the new plates when they arrive by either painting over them or cutting them in half, handed me my new plates, stickers, and registration and away I went. Total time spent at the DMV office: less than 10 minutes (with appointment).

Last edited:
A few nice words about the California DMV, since they always get a bad rap. I ordered my plates in August, and were ready for pickup in October. They were nice enough to hold them for me until my car arrived (you can't pick up plates without assigning them to a VIN). I went in today to pick them up even though I hadn't received my standard issued new plates yet. They had me sign a statement stating that I would destroy the new plates when they arrive by either painting over them or cutting them in half, handed me my new plates, stickers, and registration and away I went. Total time spent at the DMV office: less than 10 minutes (with appointment).

My experience with CA DMV (Santa Clara office) was different - same situation, but they made me come back again after I received my standard issue plates.

My experience with CA DMV (Santa Clara office) was different - same situation, but they made me come back again after I received my standard issue plates.

I also used the Santa Clara office. It probably depends on which employee ends up helping you, or could just be my incredibly charming personality. ;) For reference for others, what you need to sign is called a "statement of facts". You have to hand write a declaration that you will destroy the standard issue plates when you receive them and then sign it. It's possible that some of the DMV employees are unaware you can do this, so you may have to ask about it. I guess I got lucky with a very knowledgable employee...

I like NO FUMAR, nice double message there. I wound up preparing a lot of options, going through several rounds of suggestions and getting feedback from my wife before we settled on one. Included below are a small subset of the CA plates that we looked at that were available. We were looking to capture something about the vehicle, and something about ourselves as female geeks:

EV Plate Ideas.jpg

We were also drawn to plates that incorporated her name (Zoe, short for zero emissions.) Some of the options considered there:

Zoe Plate Ideas.jpg

... and that's where we finally landed, with ZOE GRLZ for the win. A little geeky, a little girly, and there's a story to tell behind the plate.