Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S comes with 4 camera mounts / tripod mounts on the roof??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took a looksie at the Model S charging up at the Washington Square Mall in Oregon yesterday. Nice looking car, lots of cargo space, lots of leg room, the battery doesn't intrude into the cabin.

But then I started looking closely at the body and I noticed a little door on each corner of the roof. I opened each one up and I found what looks like a camers mount, one for each corner of the car!
Must be because it's a show car. I LOLed though.

Pics.

Attachments

• SANY0003.JPG
    SANY0003.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 1,988
  • SANY0005.JPG
    SANY0005.JPG
    695.1 KB · Views: 1,489
  • SANY0006.JPG
    SANY0006.JPG
    706.1 KB · Views: 2,712
For a roof rack? Those 4 doors would be open all the time then, rust issues for the metal in between the outer roof and inner roof? Also I don't think there are any gaskets for those doors.

Those mounts look very weak, the base looks like it is either plastic or maybe magnesium alloy with the threads being metal.

- - - Updated - - -

I think metal threds, could be plastic.

BTW, how do you edit posts on this forum? Maybe I'm a newb and I have to post more first.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... that's how

Not really a good reason but here's my understanding. The S was always envisioned to only be available with a pano roof. So, a lot of engineering and design went into it. The non-pano roof option was an afterthought, but decided to be offered late in the process, probably due to customer feedback. Thus it was designed quickly and simply -- without the rack points. Non-pano roof might be available with rack points in the future, like on S 1.5 or something like that.

Those are pretty standard mounting points -- while Tesla is likely using the Daimler / Mercedes part, they are also found on Audi, BMW, etc. Thule and Yakima both make roof racks that mount on them... Here's the part that goes into that mount (and I'm guessing that the little door can be detached and put in storage while the rack is on the car).

460R_ARB_FG_sized_468x329.jpg